Is this the correct way to mount these chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought some used chains, no detailed instructions came with them.
I would obviously secure the extra link(s). The front of the car is to the left of the photo.
The inner open link (not in the photo) opens towards the tire in the pictured configuration.

Edit: No rubber is included (says so on the box). Can I use bungee cords?

4351.jpg

4355.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I have to add is get a chain tightener or spider, use 2 per wheel.

A tight chain is a happy chain.

Rod

the forgotten tyre chains excell in deep snow!! had a 72 nova with posi, put on the chains + drove by many others + even those with 4 WD usually with all season BUT winter tyres!!

I deflate the tire get the chains tight then re-inflate on the snowblower, On cars, I always see some sort of bungee set-up .

Thanks for the replies! So nobody thinks the "lock" should be oriented the other way around?

Originally Posted by andyd
I deflate the tire get the chains tight then re-inflate on the snowblower, On cars, I always see some sort of bungee set-up .
My dad thought this was the best way: deflate, install, then inflate and keep the chains on for the season (back when winter behaved as expected).

Originally Posted by atikovi
You need chains in LA?
You can drive to 6000ft within an hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Thanks for the replies! So nobody thinks the "lock" should be oriented the other way around?

Originally Posted by andyd
My dad thought this was the best way: deflate, install, then inflate and keep the chains on for the season (back when winter behaved as expected).

You need chains in LA?
You can drive to 6000ft within an hour.

No they are mounted correctly, like others have said chains loosen up quickly especially when new you will want to add more tension with strong rubber bands of some sort , we used to wire them.

There is a grooved block called a Sno-chain ramp that simplifies tire chain installation. My Dad had a ramp made from 2 by 6 lumber with grooves cut in it for the chains. Anything that speeds the process of laying in the slush and strapping chains on is good :) You may also want to carry some repair links in case you break a chain. That way you do not have to drive home with the broken chain whipping the wheel well with every tire rotation.

If you can find the manufacturer, then you can consult their website to see if a rubber tensioner is needed or not.

Last edited:
You need chains in LA?

The local big mountain is mammoth

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20190221_171230 by thisistan, on Flickr

That photo was taken during a R2 condition, where all 2WD vehicles need to have chains installed.

But if you go to Big Bear lakes for Big Bear and Snow Summit (the local hills), the curvy mountain roads can get snow & ice, requiring chains. Plenty of accidents of people thinking they don't need to obey the law and carry and install chains when required, causing traffic nightmares.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back