TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next big thing

Tire mounted Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. In the bid to get more of your money tire manufacturers are wanting to mount the Tire Pressure Monitoring System in your tire.

Of course they say you always get a fresh and undamaged sensor etc. Until with my luck a big nail goes thru the sensor.

What they do not say is they can also transmit code telling the type and size of the tire, age etc and for your "safety" the vehicle can make decisions on letting you use the tire if a non-approved tire size, brand, or the age is excessive, too many revolutions etc. All of course in the interests of your safety (cough profit cough) Imagine if your tire in the middle of a long trip ride decides it is too old or to many revolutions and your vehicle will not exceed 30 MPH or go at all even though you are in a rural area
Or in a bid to improve handling you install a non-approved size or configuration. How dare you modify your vehicle to fit your needs. Suppose the only approved tires come from your dealer only.

Rod

That message must have been in a time warp. They've been around for over a decade. You can thank the Ford Exploder for that.

In the tire, by the tire manufacturer. Not on the rim or in the valve core.

I got to quit using my phone to post.

The actual post below, note I said tire, not rim, in the tire

The next big thing

Tire mounted Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. In the bid to get more of your money tire manufacturers are wanting to mount the Tire Pressure Monitoring System in your tire.

Of course they say you always get a fresh and undamaged sensor etc. Until with my luck a big nail goes thru the sensor.

What they do not say is they can also transmit code telling the type and size of the tire, age etc and for your "safety" the vehicle can make decisions on letting you use the tire if a non-approved tire size, brand, or the age is excessive, too many revolutions etc. All of course in the interests of your safety (cough profit cough) Imagine if your tire in the middle of a long trip ride decides it is too old or to many revolutions and your vehicle will not exceed 30 MPH or go at all even though you are in a rural area
Or in a bid to improve handling you install a non-approved size or configuration. How dare you modify your vehicle to fit your needs. Suppose the only approved tires come from your dealer only.

Rod

Last edited:
I can see one benefit to those kind of tire interactive system: measuring tire deformation to Assist driver in correcting tire pressure

This might be an OK idea provided every vehicle manufacturer used the same sensor.

That's the worst part of TPMS right now. Every auto maker uses something different and changes them up often.

Michelin, Pirelli and Conti have them out but for racing and bus/truck/off-road tires. There's an RFID tag and a optional baro sensor in the tire. It's a value-add. This is NOT the FMVSS-mandated TPMS that uses sensors or wheel rotation to sense tire pressure and warn the driver.

The automakers won't adopt it unless there's a common standard.

Michelin has it out - but for track tires. https://www.michelinman.com/trackconnect.html

Last edited:
We already have indirect TPMS that is not mounted anywhere inside the tire or wheel
happy2.gif
21.gif

I'm not sure what are you concerned about? If someone not paying their lease payment and the car got shut down is allowed, having tire that tells you it is not the right size or too low on air is not a big deal right?

Seriously, it won't shut down or slow your car down midway of driving, if it is too dangerous the ABS or traction control will kicks in way before that, and will last only a few seconds, and can be bypassed with a push button. TPMS only gives you a warning that's it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
We already have indirect TPMS that is not mounted anywhere inside the tire or wheel
happy2.gif
21.gif

Yep. Thanks, Honda.

I'm so happy that my TPM uses tire rotation difference to detect a low tire. The government try to make our vehicles fool proof but, they can't make them idiot proof.

Guess it really doesn't matter to me. Even though GM put TPMS on my 2015 2500 pickup, I rarely inflate to what it says I should and therefore it has a seizure most of the time. I dismiss the DIC message and ignore the light which is at just the right location that the steering wheel blocks the view and I don't notice it. Nothing against TPMS, some find it a nice idea. I just don't have any need or desire for it. Yet another thing that I have to pay for that I don't want or need.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Guess it really doesn't matter to me. Even though GM put TPMS on my 2015 2500 pickup, I rarely inflate to what it says I should and therefore it has a seizure most of the time. I dismiss the DIC message and ignore the light which is at just the right location that the steering wheel blocks the view and I don't notice it. Nothing against TPMS, some find it a nice idea. I just don't have any need or desire for it. Yet another thing that I have to pay for that I don't want or need.

Why not just reset the TPMS at whatever PSI you inflate the tires to so the light won't come on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back