2017 Hyundai Elantra oil change Overfill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the dealer change my oil and before I went on a trip I checked the oil and it was way over the full mark. The car shows to hold 4.23 quarts but I think they put 5 in it and never checked it.
I drove the car for a week before noticing. Do you think it damaged anything?
I'm going to drain out a quart in the morning before I drive it anymore.

0.77 extra quarts of oil in a 5 quart sump will not damage anything.

Take the oil filter off, empty it out, put it back on. You're good to go.

Ten years ago I would have been concerned, but not now. If a pint and a half over the fill mark made the crank shaft froth the oil, there'd be a lot more destroyed cars. A quart above the full mark is usually built into design. Besides, the biggest problem with HyunKia engines is letting them run low.

I see high fills when oil change places carefully measure the stated capacity and use a slightly smaller oil filter, but this is the dealer.

every time i have taken cars to the dealer they have over filled it . Toyota and Honda both. I think they just pull the drain plug, let it drain till its not a stream and then stick back on the plug. then they fill it up with the oil. letting it drain completely takes time and time is money.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
every time i have taken cars to the dealer they have over filled it . Toyota and Honda both. I think they just pull the drain plug, let it drain till its not a stream and then stick back on the plug. then they fill it up with the oil. letting it drain completely takes time and time is money.

Yep. Very good point. OP-- did your oil seem a bit dark?

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

If(IF) you're going to drain some oil(not necessary), do it from the filter. Draining it from the oil pan drain bolt/plug will be very difficult when trying to reinstall the the plug again. Makes more of a mess and too much oil will be lost. Don't ask me how I know!
laugh.gif

No worries what so ever, that motor has a built in crank windage cover designed into it as a block reinforcement lower plate block add on. You would have to add another 4 qts plus to get the oil anywhere near the crank. Us short trip Minnesota Hyundai GDI turbo guys gain oil level all winter in the same amount you are at right now, because of bad fuel dilution. Don't even spend any time worrying. I run that amount of oil when I am autocrossing in the summer to reduce the chance of sucking air.

I have a small Wix manual extractor draining a bit of oil is a piece of cake. You just have to take out the dip stick you don't even have to crawl under the car. The only other thing that would make this real easy is a Fumoto oil drain valve but you'd still have to crawl under the car.

When concerned about over-filling, pull out the dipstick immediately after a run on the highway (warmed up) and see if any bubbles are on the dipstick. No bubbles, no problem. Only way to know for sure.
They are probably tolerant of a little too much oil.
There was another thread the other day where it was noted that some race cars sold at dealerships (Nissan GTR example) actually say in their Owner's Manual to only race with the oil level 1/2 quart below the Full Line on the dipstick. That's below the top line. Its to make sure there the crankshaft doesn't hit the oil, reducing windage and making sure no foaming aeration happens from that. It is highly dependent on sump and windage tray design though.

I bought an 08 impala off of an older lady who had the car dealer maintained its entire life. The day before I bought the car she had it serviced and it was at least a quart overfilled so I'm assuming the car was driven for the better part of ten yrs under those conditions yet it runs great. My 09 altima shows anywhere from full to overfull when I do the change myself, that cars an oil burner so overfill doesn't last long.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
If(IF) you're going to drain some oil(not necessary), do it from the filter. Draining it from the oil pan drain bolt/plug will be very difficult when trying to reinstall the the plug again. Makes more of a mess and too much oil will be lost. Don't ask me how I know!
laugh.gif

If someone was going to drain through the oil pan, why not drain it all into a clean container, reinstall the drain plug and pour the correct amount back into the engine?

You didn't actually try to put the drain plug back on while oil was draining out?!? Did you???
crazy2.gif

This sounds like something I would attempt in a fit of personal brilliance...
cheers3.gif

You can try using a large syringe or shampoo pump with a hose and draw some out. I personally don't think that it should have happened,

A small mighty vac and 8' of hardware store plastic tubing work well enough. Make sure what you get fits down the oil stick tube.
I don't know what it is with Those Elantras Theta 2 engines but when you put oil in them you almost have to wait literally a few minutes between checking intervals to do your topping off. They must have some really tiny drain journals coming off of that head. Never in my life have I seen a car that takes so long for the oil to settle back down🤔. Be careful.

Factory fill oil change on my 2017 Elantra the dealership overfilled by 1/2 quart. Ran it that way for a while then just did oil changes myself. I found adding 4 quarts put it at the full mark like came from the factory. They offered to remove some oil. I think I would let the dealership know.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

So why drain if it " will not damage anything"?!

Read the manual,. overfill on many engine will cause foaming and catastrophic damage and is not covered under warranty

My new VW manual say to IMMEDIATLEY shut off the car and call the VW service centre if its overfilled.

( but I bet that's more about a coolant leak into the oil from the heat exchanger)

Moron dealer lube jockeys and grease monkeys - -they ALL seem to do this!

What do you expect from a ten buck and hour ex -con?

Last edited:
I pulled the drain plug from wife's car and let a half quart out. It's not a big deal to do it.

Yeah you just have to have a feel for it and leave the bolt in or just remove it 1/6 inch.

Had to drain oil MANY times when my wife goes to the dealer.

Exeter Subaru overfills 3/4 qt and charged her for it!

6qt in a 5liter sump!

Careless Dolts!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My new VW manual say to IMMEDIATLEY shut off the car and call the VW service centre if its overfilled.
( but I bet that more at coolant leak into the oil )

My '19 VW, and other Owner Mans too, say the same thing. They have to in order to cover the worst case scenario, when smoke comes out the tailpipe. They should mention the bubble test though.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Moron dealer lube jockeys and grease monkeys - -they ALL seem to do this!
What do you expect from a ten buck and hour ex -con?
Little too rough. Not accurate, could have been falsely convicted, and some make $10.25 per hour. (kidding!)

To be fair, it is hard to nail the full line if you're under the gun, being forced to work fast with psycho bosses and customers.
If you under-fill, customers complain, even if its above the lower Add Line.
If you don't drain long enough, or the engine naturally doesn't drain down very fast, you're sca-rewed.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Char Baby
laugh.gif

If someone was going to drain through the oil pan, why not drain it all into a clean container, reinstall the drain plug and pour the correct amount back into the engine?

You didn't actually try to put the drain plug back on while oil was draining out?!? Did you???
crazy2.gif

This sounds like something I would attempt in a fit of personal brilliance...
cheers3.gif

Yes but, I was a young teenager when I did this(50 yrs ago).
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back