Old Bottle Amsoil Engine Oil Flush Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an older bottle of Amsoil engine oil flush, the directions are different from the newer stuff. Think it's still ok to use? Newer one says idle for 15 min., old one says HIGH idle for 15-20mi. and they want you to remove a pint of oil before using. I kind of like the higher idle and I was going to shut it down to let the solvent work and then restart it, I also like the fact that it's a little over full (for a short time) to maybe clean better. Any opinions?

Being overfull does not clean better.

The better route is to change oil and filter with a shorter OCI.

If and only if you know your engine has a lot of carbon deposits or some sludge, then drain a pint of oil and add and idle for 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Being overfull does not clean better.

The better route is to change oil and filter with a shorter OCI.

If and only if you know your engine has a lot of carbon deposits or some sludge, then drain a pint of oil and add and idle for 15 minutes.

Did that, sorry I used my GC, I didn't see the sludge come out until we pulled the drain pan out and saw pieces sitting in it (and then looked into the fill cap). Now I want to do 2 more changes, put the flush in...drain it, use cheaper oil to run for a few miles...drain again and fill with good stuff, all with new filter changes. Not sure why they changed the directions from high to just idle but don't want to do any harm. Why drain the pint if only running it for 15min.??

Overfilling causes air bubbles to form foam. Foam does not lubricate.

You are already thinning your oil with the flush. I would never drive it with a flush in the oil for that reason.

Last edited:

You are already thinning your oil with the flush. I would never drive it with a flush in the oil for that reason.

The current directions don't say to drain the pint: not arguing, just saying....

Engine: Add entire bottle of AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush to engine oil fill port. Idle the engine for 10-15 minutes, then immediately drain the oil. Ensure enough time for the system to completely
drain. Remove and replace the engine oil filter. Refill engine with new engine oil in the viscosity grade recommended by the manufacturer.

True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quadrasteer

The current directions don't say to drain the pint: not arguing, just saying....

Engine: Add entire bottle of AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush to engine oil fill port. Idle the engine for 10-15 minutes, then immediately drain the oil. Ensure enough time for the system to completely
drain. Remove and replace the engine oil filter. Refill engine with new engine oil in the viscosity grade recommended by the manufacturer.

True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard....

If they wanted a high idle I believe they would have written it on the label. I would idle the engine 15 minutes, drain the oil for about an hour, swap out the filter, and fill with my favorite oil. I would not fast idle the engine. Being overfilled by a pint shouldn't pose a problem. Many people including myself have owned vehicles that called for lets say 4.5 quarts and ran them on 5 quarts. I logged close to 400K miles on two vehicles doing just that. Both went to the junk yard with good running engines. Everything else fell apart.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

If they wanted a high idle I believe they would have written it on the label. I would idle the engine 15 minutes, drain the oil for about an hour, swap out the filter, and fill with my favorite oil. I would not fast idle the engine. Being overfilled by a pint shouldn't pose a problem. Many people including myself have owned vehicles that called for lets say 4.5 quarts and ran them on 5 quarts. I logged close to 400K miles on two vehicles doing just that. Both went to the junk yard with good running engines. Everything else fell apart.

Agreed......just checking to see if there were any bad experiences/issues with this product...like I said, my (older label) does say high idle. thanks.

I have not personally used it but have formulated similar products.

Basically they are composed of a light base oil ( 2-4 cSt) and loaded with about 7 different hydrocarbon solvents.

These flushes work on three processes: 1) Thinning the oil, 2) warming the oil by engine idle to activate the solvents, 3) hydrocarbon solvents soften and dissolve the soot and sludge into the oil and sweep most of it into the filter, which is why an oil change and filter replacement is necessary.

Because of the thinning effect, this is the reason I would never run an engine under load since the hydrodynamic films are very very thin.

Last edited:
No question about running the engine under a load, just about going by older directions, seems it would clean better at a higher idle but probably taking a chance. What do you think about my idea of shutting it down, waiting a while to soak in and then finishing the the run as directed? I also might try and look into the oil pan and use a solvent gun to clean it if needed......or not.

No question about running the engine under a load, just about going by older directions, seems it would clean better at a higher idle but probably taking a chance. What do you think about my idea of shutting it down, waiting a while to soak in and then finishing the the run as directed? I also might try and look into the oil pan and use a solvent gun to clean it if needed......or not.

It's a 15 minute flush, run it for 15 minutes and drain the oil. As Molakule stated it thins the oil, high rpms with solvent thinned oils are not a good idea, that's why it is called a 15 minute "idle" flush. Turning it off to let it soak in, isn't going to matter. Again, run it as directed. If you're looking for a longer flush which will be exposed to the normal cycles of an engine and stay in the sump for an extended period of time, try Rislone's flush after the Amsoil flush. Allow a full OCI with no additives between products. It took a long time to get the engine dirty, you're not going to safely clean it up in 15 minutes or one OCI. If it were mine I would ditch the idle flush idea all together, and use a slow cleaning product.

Quote by OP:
"True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard...."

Maybe that's why Amsoil replaced "High Idle for 15 minutes" with "Idle for 15 minutes".
Although I believe you...I find it hard to believe that a 15 minute idle with thinned down oil would destroy the engine...unless it was low on oil to start with (common on oil burning Northstars). I totally agree to 'idle' rather than 'high idle' when using any solvent.

PS: A guy that I worked with years ago used to drain his oil....add a gallon of diesel...idle a few minutes (no load and not 15 minutes but more like a minute or two)....and drain that and then refill with oil.....He never lost an engine but they were old OHV V8's...not high revving DOHC 4's.

What vehicle are we talking about here?

...True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard....

i seriously doubt the engine flush was the demise of the Deville. It sounds as if you had some pre-existing condition that coincided with your steam engine.

Originally Posted by pbm
Quote by OP:
"True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard...."

Maybe that's why Amsoil replaced "High Idle for 15 minutes" with "Idle for 15 minutes".
Although I believe you...I find it hard to believe that a 15 minute idle with thinned down oil would destroy the engine...unless it was low on oil to start with (common on oil burning Northstars). I totally agree to 'idle' rather than 'high idle' when using any solvent.

PS: A guy that I worked with years ago used to drain his oil....add a gallon of diesel...idle a few minutes (no load and not 15 minutes but more like a minute or two)....and drain that and then refill with oil.....He never lost an engine but they were old OHV V8's...not high revving DOHC 4's.

What vehicle are we talking about here?

...True reason I'm asking....used this product on a Caddy Northstar per the directions on the bottle (high idle) , steam starting rising from engine compartment....perfect loaded Deville d'Elegance went to the junk yard....

i seriously doubt the engine flush was the demise of the Deville. It sounds as if you had some pre-existing condition that coincided with your steam engine.

The Northstars had the head gasket issue, the high idle flush helped it along. I didn't mean to say it was the sole reason for the failure, I was really trying to see if anyone would respond with pro high idle comments. My thinking was that maybe the company didn't want the liability of more failure issues and changed the directions. Just saying...the comments here suggest that the high idle is NOT a great ides, there's a reason why.

As far as the diesel fuel flush is concerned, my GM tech friend recommended a 1/2 qt. in my Dana rear end to help free the clutch pack, going to try it soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back