Autographed sports items

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a baseball and some cards that were autographed by Gaylord Perry. These items were given to me in the 90s by a friend of the family.

There is no certificate of authenticity and I don't know the circumstances under which these items were autographed. My only guess it that friend of the family was at an event where Mr. Perry was doing autographs on items for sale.

Do these items have any value outside of sentimental? I've been dragging them along with my belonging for 30+ years now but never thought much about the actual value of them.

If you get the autograph authenticated this will help with value from what I'm told. My sister won an autographed Don Baylor baseball from the Rockies inaugural year, don't know what the value of it is.

The only way to know if they have any value is to have them authenticated. Sports memorabilia is rife with corruption; up to 70% of things like that are fake, and any intelligent collector will assume they're fake unless authenticated and appraised by a reputable service.

I have a single card. A Sean Elliot rookie card. Not even sure why I have it. It travels with me to each house or apartment. I don't even like sports

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I have a baseball and some cards that were autographed by Gaylord Perry. These items were given to me in the 90s by a friend of the family.

There is no certificate of authenticity and I don't know the circumstances under which these items were autographed. My only guess it that friend of the family was at an event where Mr. Perry was doing autographs on items for sale.

Do these items have any value outside of sentimental? I've been dragging them along with my belonging for 30+ years now but never thought much about the actual value of them.

Sports cards and memorabilia fakes and forgeries is rampant and one needs to be really careful before purchasing any such item. Many companies exist out there but the majority of them are fraudulent and corrupt, including some big names like James Spence authentications, PSA/DNA, etc. http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=39987

If legit, and just doing a quick search, your ball might be worth $50 to $100 dollars if you can find a buyer?
I belong to a few baseball card forums so if you want to send me some pics/scans, I can post them for you to see what opinions I get. In my opinion, some of the folks on Net54baseball.com are far better at telling fakes from forgeries than actual companies that claim they do this specifically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 97prizm
If you get the autograph authenticated this will help with value from what I'm told. My sister won an autographed Don Baylor baseball from the Rockies inaugural year, don't know what the value of it is.

I have a Don Baylor autographed baseball too. However he was a minor leaguer at the time, playing in my home town in 1970. We loved him!

Last edited:
My autographed items are mostly NASCAR diecasts. They usually come direct from Lionel as a different SKU which indicates it was autographed by the driver and has the certificate in the box.

Originally Posted by 97prizm

Problem is the cost of getting it authenticated could be more than the market value (at least at current time) of the items.
It may help in a future sale (ie after you are dead), but I have no idea who Gaylord Perry is, so no idea on current or future value.

I have a baseball with Nolan Ryan and Alan Ashby's (catcher for the Astros) autographs and a set of Nolan Ryan Whataburger baseball cards with Ryan's autograph on one of them.
Both were given to me by Alan who was a friend of my parents, so I personally have no doubts to their authenticity, but have no plans to pay for them to be authenticated, and I know Nolan signs a ton of stuff, so his signature is not that rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back