That 1st Ding Dent on Your New Vehicle ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to DIY some stuff and followed through this morning at the gas pumps. Opened the F-150's door and knocked it against the concrete barrier of the pump island, placing a nice dimple and chip right on the crease line of the lower door.
laugh.gif

So, on your most recent new car who put the first ding on it, you or a stranger?

A deer.

Although I didn't see it when I hit it and called the non emergency line to say I hit something on the highway at 10PM and wasn't sure what it was or if it was sitting in the road still ... and I wasn't about to walk up a dark highway.

Dented in the LR door on the Subaru and scratched the wheel well. I was able to pop the dent out so it's barely noticeable and buff most of the scratch out.

Two booboos--

Dropped a garage door on the back of my car. A centimeter either way and it would have bounced on the roof or the bumper but this grazed the top coat of my car, leaving a 3 inch scratch.

Found a four inch magnetic Brazillian flag (daughter is adopted from there) on Amazon. Fixed for a few bucks.

Tried to squeeze in between two close cars at a fair-- snagged a bumper (luckily one of the rubber ones that show nothing--what ever happened to those? I want some), but I had two quarter sized dings. Repeated attempts to paint it myself after being quoted $800 by the only body shop I went to. Looked bad unlike the YouTube videos that make it look so easy. Sure there's somebody somewhere on Craig's list that can do a good job for a hundred or so.

In the mean time bought a set of two stick on reflectors at Wally World. Looked a bit garish but under two bucks. Reflectors fell off but the plain white stick on circles on each side are still there and frankly look better. Saved $798.

Last edited:
In 2005 I just drove home with a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan, had it in the garage sitting for about 40 minutes, I was checking it out under the hood...youngest son rides up on his bike and asks me "So Dad, this the new Van? " I replied yes, and he steers away and scratches the passenger side door with the end of his handle bar...right down to the metal !! the sound it made was sickening
sick.gif

Me. Trying to figure out the girth of the new truck. Attempted to fit thru the ATM drive thru. Passenger side mirror rubbed the brick pillar and folded in.

Two in wife's 18 VW Tiguan vehicle carefully Parker's typically from strangers.

Typically happens to vehicles I actually like not the ones I could care less about like my current MDX. I even take tight spaces and no dings.

Bought my used 2015 Camry in June 2016. After signing all the paperwork, I had to drive to my basketball game about 30 miles away. Took a rock to the hood and left a nice size dimple. 105k miles and no other blemishes

Opened the door and put a dent on a $100k car by banging it against a concrete pylon. It seemed like the whole door was dented in but after a couple of days thinks got into a perspective and it was a tiny mark on the door.

Bought my Volkswagen new and the windshield cracked from a flying stone off a dump truck. I think it was two weeks old.

My new SUV a guy backed into it one week old and tore up the bumper. Then a month later while at work they were doing spray painting up the street. The car got coated with overspray. It took me almost a day to get that stuff off.

My other new SUV got almost totaled in a driveway when someone lost control on ice and slammed into it.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Opened the door and put a dent on a $100k car by banging it against a concrete pylon. It seemed like the whole door was dented in but after a couple of days thinks got into a perspective and it was a tiny mark on the door.

That's pretty much what I did this morning at the gas station, opened door into that metal encased concrete pylon that is at each end of a pump island. Dang it !!!

yes, the new 2019 f150 xl...why in the world did i park next to the shopping cart metal parking cages in the parking lot...proceeded to open driver door...wind catches door...bada bing door whips into the parking cage rail. sounded worse than the actual slight damage. didn't harm the exterior of the door skin, just the very edge caught the railing. i park out in an open area now. yes, i know it's just an xl, it's just the principle of the matter.

I've never owned a new car, but I still feel the pain from the first ding I put in my Celica.

Car was very clean when I got it, 14 years old and looked practically new paint-wise. Replaced the battery two days after I owned it, and when I put in the new battery I didn't hook the tie-down on it's proper hook. Instead, it hooked something else about an inch higher, meaning the threaded rod was 1" or so taller than before. It was a new car to me, so I didn't notice the difference. Closed the hood, BANG. A new dimple, from the underside of the hood up. I flattened it out slightly with a hammer/dolly, keeping a towel in the way to prevent scratching the paint, and coated the scrape on the rear to prevent rust.

Still hurts to look at it, even though it's minor. It's the pain of seeing a preventable error you made that damaged something you like.

Picked up my Silverado in late December 2018. Had a hail storm in March and it did a number on the aluminum hood. Later in the summer we were at my wife's dads lake house when another hail storm hit it.

A few months after I bought my DTS, A tree branch fell on the roof causing a big golf ball size dent by the hood.

And another dent on the rear-driver door. Not happy about that.

I've gotten a couple more dings and dents on the roof from random things falling on it. I have to park on the street, so no protection from the outside elements.

Two months ago a really huge branch fell on my car. Fortunately, It didn't leave many dents, but it caused a lot of scratches on the paint.

I can't get a break sometimes

21.gif

Wasn't new, but was new to me. I had bought my Sonata 2 months prior, it was 2 years old when I got rear ended on the freeway
frown.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KGMtech
In 2005 I just drove home with a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan, had it in the garage sitting for about 40 minutes, I was checking it out under the hood...youngest son rides up on his bike and asks me "So Dad, this the new Van? " I replied yes, and he steers away and scratches the passenger side door with the end of his handle bar...right down to the metal !! the sound it made was sickening
sick.gif

LOL. I totally get the Dad experience. My young daughter Amy once climbed on the hood of our family car with a rock in hand, and scratched A-M-Y in letters 2 ft. tall across the hood of our jet black Chevy Caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back