5000 miles in the 2017 3500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I find myself driving it more than I thought I would.

I have just at 2500 miles towing with it. The rest has been driving, 3 loads of gravel. 1 pallet and 10 boxes of laminate flooring (put it on the helper springs) a bunch of trim and a New washer and dryer. (we are doing a home remodel)

So far I love it. While not a diesel it tows around my 7800lbs travel trailer effortlessly. The 6 speed with 4.10's is so much nicer than the 4 speed with 4.10s. The extra HP and torque help.
There are some places where the old truck might see a 4500 to 4700 rpms sustained to crest a hill, the same places this truck just touches 380o rpm.

Love the grade braking, integrated brake controller and backup camera. Ride is decent for a 1 ton, much better than my 02 3/4 ton.
Brakes are much better too.

Plus it just nice to have power windows, door locks, Bluetooth and 4x4. Never really need it in old truck, but if the pavement was wet and I had to pull out with the trailer it would spin. No more of that.

Couple of things I don't like. Hate the locking tailgate. I can't turn the headlights off unless it is in park (Canada). It is tall, no way around it, It feels big compared to my old truck even though they are physically the same size.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Glad it's working well for you. I always preferred a dually for a big trailer.

Probably for a 5th wheel, but even with the old truck. The hitch I have set up properly has never given me any say or issue, even when it is really windy in central Washington.

I think the key for me is long wheelbase and weight of truck VS weight of trailer. My truck loaded for camping is heavier than the trailer.

Hahaha, that's a good thing.

I have towed a 33 foot monster all over with a 4WD LWB 09 DMax. Just single rear wheels though. I always felt the dual wheels kept the arse where it should be! Truck was under 7500 loaded but that trailer was 10k plus easy...

Last edited:
Mine is light, fully the trailer is 7800 lbs, plus dual axle so that helps.
smile.gif

Thanks for the update Mike.....Beautiful truck. If my diesel ever dies, I will probably buy L96 powered 2500HD to replace it as I don't tow much anymore.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I can't turn the headlights off unless it is in park (Canada).

try two clicks down on the parking brake pedal

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by ls1mike
I can't turn the headlights off unless it is in park (Canada).

try two clicks down on the parking brake pedal

The only way you can turn them off in Canada is to be in park. It is programmed in the BCM. I suppose I could take it in and have it programmed.

I like to be able to turn the headlights off when I drive through base security in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back