"M1HM and M1HM EP are designed for veh that have been using Convl..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
This is from their Q&A section...

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs/product-faqs?View=20&Page=2

I thought Mobil 1â„¢, as a full synthetic oil, already provided the protection my high mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your high mileage products for my high mileage car?

Mobil 1™ Extended Performance High Mileage and Mobil 1™ High Mileage motor oils are designed for high mileage vehicles that have been using conventional motor oils. It's true that most vehicles with more than 75,000 miles should be in excellent condition if Mobil 1 oils have been used regularly, and would not require some of the Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage and Mobil 1 High Mileage benefits. However, most cars on the road today do not use synthetic oils, so we developed our high mileage oils specifically for these cars that would benefit from switching off conventional oil.

First time I've ever seen this. Interesting.

Thanks for posting. This is a good find IMO. What it tells me is that I will never need these HM oils because of my short OCIs and use of only the finest lubricants, as well as the mild climate I live in.

Scott

Mobil somewhere else claimed that their high mileage oils can clean a dirty engine in one or two oil changes.

I think they're suggesting here that an older engine run on conventional could do with some cleaning beyond what a keep clean synthetic oil is designed for.

Part of what Mobil is trying to say (somewhat obliquely) is that their HM oils have seal swellers that will slow down leaks, including ones caused by long conventional oil OCIs. If you've been changing conventional or synthetic blend oils on a regular, reasonable basis-there's nothing to clean out anyway.

Every car I've used Mobil 1 HM in consumed more oil and my 03 didn't use a drop prior to. My 09 is a known oil burner and my daughters 07 s80 would use maybe a quart every 5k. Those numbers almost doubled with M1HM. I'm sure Mobil is great oil but I never had luck with it.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Mobil somewhere else claimed that their high mileage oils can clean a dirty engine in one or two oil changes.

I think they're suggesting here that an older engine run on conventional could do with some cleaning beyond what a keep clean synthetic oil is designed for.

+1

If I had a high mileage vehicle I wouldn't run the high mileage Mobil 1 unless it had a drinking problem. I had an 05 Ford F-150 that didn't use any oil and I used a 5W-20 Mobil 1 in it and at 205,000 miles it still didn't use any oil when I sold it.

They also state their HM oils are fine to use in new vehicles like all the others do.
I just thought the excerpt interesting since, as far as I remember, the other major brands recommend high mileage arbitrary at 75k regardless of previous maintenance practices.

M1 had a separate website until a year or 2 ago. Listed in the FAQ on that site were answers written by XOM regarding HM M1. The answers used the words "seal sweller" and "swells seals" repeatedly. I posted links here as proof a ways back. Since the sites were merged, the FAQ has started all over. But it was there, I'm sure of it. So unless there's a way to know M1 HM seal additives were changed in the past couple years, I would not use M1 HM on a healthy engine with no leaks at any miles.

Hi LeakySeals...

Screenshot_20191031-162050_Yahoo Mail.jpg

I keep saying, a certain number on the odometer is not a good reason to use HM oil.
You don't need HM oil unless your engine is showing symptoms of age and wear: oil leaks, oil consumption, odd noises at startup, loss of power, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back