HD-SSD exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a Dell all-in-0ne desktop computer with a terabit HD. I wonder if it can be upgraded with an SSD drive? I only use about 1/10 the capacity of the present HD. Just thinking of the future since the present computer is 5 years old. Ed

It's very likely that it's a common SATA connection. Simple mechanical swap, just mount it up and hook up SATA and power.

Load windows and your programs and enjoy the faster speed.

We are in the process of changing out HD for SSD in our POS machines. We simply had to clone the original HD and install the new SSD and it was good to go. It is a noticeable upgrade in speed and most certainly in reliability.

Last edited:
Yep. Crucial and Samsung even give you free cloning tools too. Dunno about the other brands of SSDs.

Depending on the computer, you might need a USB to SATA adapter/case to temporarily connect the new drive. You will need a 2.5 to 3.5" adapter plate.

Done it on 2 laptops. Cloned the drives. I used Macrium Reflect, it is free.

One laptop had an unused NVME connection, so I got a western digital NVME SSD which is faster than a SATA SSD.

Dell owner's manual:
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-23-5348-aio_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

You only need to buy a 2.5 inch drive, no adapter or mounting parts.

If your original 1 TB drive is not full and you don't intend to fill it you can use Windows to resize to a smaller partition (this takes a long time) then use a smaller replacement drive.

After copying the data to the new drive (using disk cloning software and a USB to SATA adapter), take the computer apart and R&R the drive.

Remove the stand and the plastic back cover (After releasing the latches at the bottom, Dell suggests prying around the sides starting at the gap for the DVD drive) then the metal cover on the right side as you look at the back. Pull the original drive with its blue frame then remove the drive from the frame and install new one.

Last edited:
Even if it is a bit more difficult to get to the HDD, I would still do this upgrade. Going to an SSD is the biggest and cheapest performance gain you will ever see and actually enjoy every time you fire up the computer and use it, not just some artificial benchmark numbers that don't mean much in real use.

You can get a 240GB SSD for about $30 all day long. It will rejuvenate your machine 100% guaranteed.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
Double-check that you don't need a SATA power adapter.

You won't need one here. This all-in-one PC is built a lot like a laptop where the SATA drive plugs directly into the motherboard with no cables. It doesn't look like there is a place for two drives.

Looks easy on that video. Buy a 250gb SSD and toss it in there with another stick of RAM. But I'd reinstall Windows 10 with a thumb drive and start from scratch. Can use a SATA to USB adapter to get your files off the old hard drive and drag and drop.

I do this for a living for a large corporation, those old computers fly with a new SSD, 8gb of RAM, and fresh Windows 10.

Yes it will work. Most hard drive companies have cloning tool that you can use to clone to, and clone from, the drive of their brands.

I would recommend updating the bios firmware to the latest version on a dell before you do the swap.

Also I'm not a fan of cloning drives, good to start fresh, it would be a good time to set the bios to UEFI if supported, and do a clean install of windows 10 from a usb key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back