2009 Ford Fusion 3.0V6, 41.5K, 4.7k on Maxlife FS 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Mom's car, and I honestly forgot to do it last year, so this has been in there probably ~2 1/2 years. Oops. Ill have to put a sticker on the gauge cluster to do it in 6 months or so and then try to keep it in that region. I think this had some Rotella T6 5W40 in it as well as top up.

Code

Iron 51

Chromium 1

Nickel 1

Aluminum 31

Copper 4

Lead 0

Tin 0

Silicon 9

Sodium 256

Potassium 0

Maganese 2

Molybdenum 13

Boron 15

Magnesium 55

Calcium 1851

Phosphorous 572

Zinc 1083

Fuel
Soot
Water
Visc 8.1cSt@100C

TBN 2.44

Oxid 14

Nitr 14

I can't help but think a conventional/syn-blend would turn in much better numbers over a 6 month interval. Formula Shell from Home Depot or Valvoline conventional which is technically a syn-blend would probably help the cause.

Amazing that at 2.5 years, its at 8.1 cSt, perfectly in grade. You might think it would drift upward with all the short trips forming sludge.
Mobil1 Annual Protection goes for 1 year at a time for convenience if you can't get to it often. With a 1-year oil filter too, M1 or Fram XG.
Was the oil level checked along the way? That tends to be neglected.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Mileage wasn't that high for 2 years.. I'd be a little nervous about that Aluminum value.

Guessing this was a TON of short-tripping.

Yup. 3 miles to work, and 3 miles back home. Doesnt really go anyplace on weekends.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I can't help but think a conventional/syn-blend would turn in much better numbers over a 6 month interval. Formula Shell from Home Depot or Valvoline conventional which is technically a syn-blend would probably help the cause.

Originally Posted by paoester
Amazing that at 2.5 years, its at 8.1 cSt, perfectly in grade. You might think it would drift upward with all the short trips forming sludge.
Mobil1 Annual Protection goes for 1 year at a time for convenience if you can't get to it often. With a 1-year oil filter too, M1 or Fram XG.
Was the oil level checked along the way? That tends to be neglected.

It got Pennzoil HM 5W30 and a Fram XG this time. Oil level was checked often at first but I havent been on it recently. I would guess it was 3/4qt low when I changed it.

The Fe and Al are high for only 4.7k miles; it's approaching 11ppm/1k miles for the Fe. The Al is also high at 1.6ppm/1k miles.
Short-tripping has it's concerns; the lube isn't coming up to temp, nor is the coolant, etc.
Not that the engine is at death's door step; that's untrue. It's just seeing higher than average wear due to the extremely short cycles.
I doubt any lube is going to do much different; hard to overcome short, cold cycles.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I don't think it would matter much. It's the short trips. If the trips were 30 minutes or longer my bet is the wear metal numbers would come down.

Unfortunately, not a lot can be done about it. I could block off the radiator for the winter but then it might overheat if its driven any distance. I could investigate putting a block heater on, so at east in the winter the engine starts off ~100F, but Im worried that she will be in a hurry one morning and forget to unplug it. Might need to get one of the auto ejecting inlets like fire trucks have. Start the engine and it pushes the extension cord out of the socket.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
... Might need to get one of the auto ejecting inlets like fire trucks have. Start the engine and it pushes the extension cord out of the socket.
lol.gif

Oh, that would be too cool for skool !!!
thumbsup2.gif

I understand; not much can easily be done. It's not like the engine will implode; just sees higher than normal wear rates. Still a great engine overall. I have a buddy whom had a old Contour SVT with the 3.0L Duratec; he put over 350k miles on it before it was out of his stable. Never a moments problem with the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back