Possibly the worst OEM tires I've ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't even give me goodyears for free.

Horrible experiences, and after hydroplaning and slamming into a tree sideways at 70mph, I swore I'd never drive on goodyears again.

I have a friend that owns a tire shop and he also won't drive on goodyears... and it was very clear when my parents had a Suzuki XL-7 when I was a teenager, and that thing had better traction with bald Michelins, than with brand new Goodyears.

My current daily driver came with goodyears and I upgraded them to Sumitomos right away.. night and day difference.

Goodyears on the rain = spin tires through 3rd gear.
Sumitomo on the rain = hook on 1st gear!

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Maybe try LT, light truck tires on a light truck instead of SL passenger car tires.

Never felt that this was necessary in our previous vehicles that spec'd a P-Metric including our Expedition and 2018 RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel. Going to a quality tire I'm sure will make a much bigger difference.

Maybe try LT, light truck tires on a light truck instead of SL passenger car tires.

OEM tires are designated to be able to handle all specs
of the vehicle. There are plenty of tires out there that will give better traction that are not LT. IMHO LT's are overkill for a half-ton unless you tow (heavy) or fill up your bed-which the average owner does not do on a regular basis.

I have the same tires on my Silverado. They will loose traction running over a wet sponge-nothing to do with the load ratings-they are a tire designed to ride smooth. That's the main "benefit".

Last edited:
The Hankook Ventus V2's that came on my VW Golf TDI are the worst wet traction tires i've ever had. Unless I'm very cautious they'll break loose in the wet, especially from a standstill. Changing lanes in the wet they get pretty twitchy as well.

I only have about 12K on them but will be replacing them next spring. I'm getting ready to swap my winters on anyways.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by GSCJR
That's why they're called Goodyear. They're only good for one year.

LOL
lol.gif

lol.gif

I seriously laughed at that comment too...

Though I will say I got a 4 set of Goodyear Assurance comfortread tires for my Nissan Altima 3.5 and those tires were really good. The second set of those tires were not has good though.

That's only if he tows or carries close to rated GVWR regularly. GM at one point in time suggested LT-metric tires on the Tahoe/Suburban 1500 on the tire placard for "enhanced handling characteristics".

Looks like in the OP's case, there are some decent/better tires available in his size. Some LT options too like Nitto.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Reddy45

LOL
lol.gif

lol.gif

I seriously laughed at that comment too...
Though I will say I got a 4 set of Goodyear Assurance comfortread tires for my Nissan Altima 3.5 and those tires were really good. The second set of those tires were not has good though.

I live 5 miles from akron ohio the famous "rubber city" so I am well aware of most good4ayear jokes :p

Most Goodyears are mediocre. They have a couple standout tire models though.

Ok... While were at it...

Q: What's the difference between a tire and 365 used condoms?
A: One's a Goodyear. The other's a great year.
shocked.gif

Goodyear OEM tires may be bad. But my experience tells me the aftermarket tires are bad too.

Many family members who have bought Goodyear aftermarket replacements have had some sort of tire failure with them, from belt separation to blowouts. They made the Goodyear Marathon trailer tire, with a reputation that rivals the China bomb trailer tires.

I've personally only had one car with an OEM Goodyear tire that was nothing to write home about. I wouldn't say the worst tire ever, but certainly not one to make me want to buy them.

In my case, it is their aftermarket stuff that have me convinced never to buy their tires. When I can choose from so many other tires on the market that are highly rated, and cost the same, if not less, why would I bother with Goodyear?

Not one issue with a Goodyear tire in 40 years … cars, trucks, and Marathons included.
Worst I have owned were Hankook (rain) and BFG (worn out fast twice)
I don't buy bottom end tires and never bought anything with the GY RSA folks don't like.

I too had some Wranglers where the compound got hard and they felt sketchy on wet pavement and ice. I only had them because I won them in a lottery... most valuable thing I've ever won in my life = irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back