20 wt and 30 wt oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are my option regarding thick 20 wt and thin 30 wt oils for the 3.7 Duratec V6 in my F150?

Also, so I dont have to make a separate post in the oil filter section, would the OEM Motorcraft FL500S be the best filter to use? Didnt it have tearing issues?

What is the bypass psi on the FL500S?

Or should I use a Napa Gold 7502, which crosses to the FL500S?

The 7502 has a 22 psi bypass.

If you want a thin 30, M1 AFE 0w-30 would be a good fit. Do you or heavy haul with it? Best bargain for a premium filter is the FRAM Ultra IMHO.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
What is the bypass psi on the FL500S?

Or should I use a Napa Gold 7502, which crosses to the FL500S?

The 7502 has a 22 psi bypass.

Per Purolator who makes Motorcraft oil filters, the FL-500S bypass valve is set to 17+ PSI (at least back in 2011). Who knows if it's been changed since then (probably not).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307599

The good news is, if using a Motorcraft filter, the bypass won't open due to the big hole in the media. I guess thats good anyway.

I'm using 5w-30 SupetTech synthetic in my Ranger that spec's 5w-20. You would have to find the HTHS of the oils you want to use to find if they are thick or thin. But that is not easy with most oil companies. The 5w-30 I use has an HTHS @150c of 11.2.

5w30 all day here in Texas, and in your neck of the woods also. The motorcraft can filters are pretty solid. Used with a reasonable OCI you should be fine there. But between your choices you could go off of lowest price.

I think Ill go with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and either a Motorcraft filter or Fram Ultra at 5k intervals.

Will the Fram XG10575 bypass of 16-28 psi suffice?

Why not go with Valvoline Daily Protection 5w20? It is a blend that is little thicker than Synthetic and Ford uses a blend for most vehicles. Timing chain wear is caused from excessive amount of miles between oil changes or a design flaw that a "thicker" oil will hide the symptoms of a timing chain going bad. Many module Ford's are over 200k on 5w20 conventional and you claim 5k oil changes which is the best you can do to prevent timing chain wear. 3.7 was ran from Ford on synthetic blend.
Motorcraft filter

Last edited:
+1
Originally Posted by paoester
Thinnest kv100 5w30 I've seen is Pennz Platinum 5w30 at 9.8 cSt.

I'm using PPHM in my 08 impala 3.9 and it's developed a tick of sort that wasn't there on QSUD. On top of that it burned a half qt in 1100 miles.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Motorcraft filter...

I find the promotion of Motorcraft (and Purolator) filters interesting, I use neither in any of my cars, but why would anyone use a filter that has had a demonstrated history of failure on here?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Motorcraft filter...

I find the promotion of Motorcraft (and Purolator) filters interesting, I use neither in any of my cars, but why would anyone use a filter that has had a demonstrated history of failure on here?

+1 There are much better choices out there.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Motorcraft filter...

+1 There are much better choices out there.

With almost 50 years of using them with no issues, what's the problem? More internet dribble taken with a grain of salt...

One would not expect you to see or notice an issue, but again why take a chance? Is a filter with a documented history of failure a better choice than one which has not shown the failure? That to me is the "problem."

Honestly I do not understand the brand loyalty that would result in such a statement as yours, it goes against reality and sound reasoning. If after many years I started to see people post pictures of torn media in my Toyota filters I would change brands in a heartbeat. What logical argument could be made for me to not do so?

Honestly I do not understand the brand loyalty that would result in such a statement as yours, it goes against reality and sound reasoning. If after many years I started to see people post pictures of torn media in my Toyota brand filters I would change in a heartbeat. What logical argument could be made for me to not do so?

Well I just did a search here on BITOG and found nothing negative about Motorcraft filters. I could only go back 3 years so I'll do a Google search to see what you are talking about. Maybe Ford did have a problem with their filters but I think that was resolved years ago. Have to live in the presaent.

And what is all the love for Fram filters now? As I recall they had issues spannig 2 decades.

I'm not brand loyal. I use filters that the vehicle comes with from the factory (see my sig). If he had a (insert vehicle here) I would recommend (insert vehicle manufacturer here) filter.

Last edited:
Why are you bringing Fram into this discussion? Is that the point you really want to make? Somehow I think it may be, like others before you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back