Supertech Synthetic vs QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that these two oils are majorly discounted at Wal-Mart (at least in my area), which is the better value? Right now for 5 QT jugs, the Supertech Syn is $14.28 and the QSUD is $17.97.

Is there much of a difference between these oils these days? How about the SuperTech HM Syn?

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Now that these two oils are majorly discounted at Wal-Mart (at least in my area), which is the better value? Right now for 5 QT jugs, the Supertech Syn is $14.28 and the QSUD is $17.97.

Is there much of a difference between these oils these days? How about the SuperTech HM Syn?

The regular flavour ST 5/30 FS is a little bit more but ST HM FS 5w30, 10w30 and HM full syn 0w20 are a great value for off the shelf pricing. For most of us running 5, 6 or 7k mile oci's SuperTech is just fine. I don't think there's any dropoff in performance at those oci's but people are brand loyal, i get that.. so to that end it's hard to beat QS's combo of big brand name + price.

Choose whatever your wallet allows.. both carry the requisite approvals and are very capable lubes.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Quaker State has dropped that much in price...they've always been low, just not that low.

I think they both are pretty good...just depends on how much of a bargain hunter you are. A lot of people have to buy two jugs...so it depends how much you value saving $7 dollars vs how much you like a name brand.

Honestly what I've been doing is taking advantage of the rebate programs that were out there all year long. First with Pennzoil Platinum, then with Rotella Gas Truck. Ended up averaging $2.20 a quart the entire year and bought 40 quarts with more to come before the year is over. Missed out on the Mobil 1 rebates (didn't realize they were running it or I would have jumped on that too).

I had this same question, I went with QSUD but that was before the price dropped to $14 for ST. I am considering stocking up on ST because of the price, of course the price will go down even more after I do that.

Tough to beat ST Syn, especially on rollback like it is now. And for awhile now I don't see QSUD in 0w20 single jug listed at WM.com or in store.

Both are dexos synthetics in 0/20, 5/20, and 5/30, and St is cheaper than qsud. Both are capable of 7500-10k ocis, and St is cheaper than qsud.

St is cheaper than qsud
St is cheaper than qsud

You asked which was the better value, but answered your question in your post. Sometimes answers are in plain sight.

If you like Quaker State's advertisements, by all means spend the extra $$ to support them. Otherwise, ST meets/exceeds spec and is all (likely more than) you need. I choose ST.

Going to post a 6k+ UOA on my Supertech fill soon. I must say, my car runs really smooth so far. Hope the results come back good. And, like others have mentioned, Supertech did really well on the Project Farm tests.

Originally Posted by csandste
Any Dexos 1.2 is fine. Price wins.

When in doubt, I even follow this for Dodge and Ford … picked up some STP 5w20 a few months back on sale … had Dexos 1.2 on the label … in the Pentastar it went …
Same with my 6 gallon box of Pennzoil Gold … it's Dexos 1.2 and going in multiple makes …

Walmart's cheapest supplier policy is enough to buy QS. I'm sure ST is a fine oil, but after having to almost push my power stroke home after filling up at Walmart, none of their products are in my cars or cupboards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back