I should have been a Plumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here there's a guy that goes by 'The Luxury Plumber' and gets business at high rates. The tree trimmers are 'Arborists' and thus more $. I chuckle, but heck-good for them. With less young going into the trades comes higher prices. Some folks may have figured out that there may be too many folks with the prestige schooling that don't necessarily mean more $.

I've talked to carpenters, electricians and have guy's...they tell me plumbing is where the money is. Although the new pex stuff they're using now may change that. But these guys seem to have an abundance of work and get paid well. I had a kid do some side work on my house last year...hot water tank, couple faucets, a valve...I think he made almost three grand by the time he was done...probably had less than 6 hours into the whole thing. Maybe $500 in parts.

Some of the prices are nuts.

I had to relocate my LP gas line where it came in through the foundation. We bought a new tank and the installer didn't like how the regulator was next to the AC and furnace inlet/ outlets pipes. This made running the line through the yard much easier too as it was about 30' closer and I had no power and septic to work around.

The thought of drilling through the foundation scared me so I tried getting a quote. $800. I did the job myself for about $150 drill rental included.

Last edited:
I always said, if your willing to work with your hands, you'll always have work and be compensated fairly for it!!!
laugh.gif

49.gif

Plumbing is tough work. Knees and back take a beating. Electricians can make big $$ as well. I had one charge me $300 because my wife was afraid a burned out outlet was going to cause the house to burn down.
21.gif

In NJ last year and previous they sent drain cleaning coupons for $99 for the first drain, higher for the second drain, now it's $199 and $249. I asked a Roto-Rooter man I saw in Home Depot how much he charges and he said $450/drain.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I work in healthcare, when I spoke to my electrician last year, his small business with two or three other employees is pulling in over half a million a year. He joined his father straight out of high school, has been probably doing it at least 30+ years, he's got a house three times as big as mine with a couple of dozen acres. It's quite impressive with some tradesmen can make, as long as they are motivated

My son dropped out of High School.
After that he always worked.
About 20 years ago he started in the HVAC business.
He is now a mater installer.
Makes about 76K a year.
Bought a nice town house.
Has a nice truck and other toys.
76K a year is good money in Colorado.

Originally Posted by Chris142
My sweet wife flushed something down the toilet that should not have been flushed. We had a flood because of this. I called a Plummer we have used in the past. ( Funny how we never had any plumbing problems for 40 years till she moved in 5 years ago).

He came out today. Stuck a camera down the pipe, identified the problem and ran the cable snake through it which fixed the problem.

He was here all of 7 minutes. Cost was $189 which is less than the others I called to check on his price. I guess someone has to pay for our $5 gallon gas, insurance drive time etc.

Re-coup the cost of , vehicle , tools , workers comp , liability , the cost of phone , his office & shop , taxes , liability insurance , vehicle insurance , licenses , drive time ( as you said ) , health care ,and it never stops .

Still , more than we charge for a service charge .

If most of your stoppages the toilet , I suggest you purchase a closet auger .

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=claset+auger

The money is in the commercial business. And for that, you need to be in the good ol' boy network. Not an easy task for a newcomer.

I have one-or rather two-here now for a water heater replacement.

Whatever idiot designed the place thought that putting it in a closet whose floor is 8 feet up in the air was a good idea. They're bringing in a 3rd guy to help with getting the old one out and the new one in.

The bottom line, job completed estimate is $1700...although given the location/placement of the tank it's not something I'd even want to attempt myself. If it were at a more accessible location, I MIGHT do it...

Just think, in 30 years what it is going to cost our kids to have a plumber, electrician or HVAC come to fix simple stuff. They will make six figures easy since nobody wants to do those jobs.

Mike Rowe has been working hard to get individuals into trade work for a while now. That is why I try to show my daughter how to fix the simple things and not have to call for help.

I can tell you here in Silicon Valley, the trades are highly sought after.
The local Community Colleges have great 2 year programs and are generally impacted.
These programs are highly regarded.
Waiting lists to get in can easily be a year or more.

All work is honorable. Period.

When I became a Journeyman Electrician , it took 4 years with school and on the job training . 5 years w/o school .

Time , blood sweat and tears invested .

Sounds like the OP should set aside up a little plumbing hideaway fund for the upcoming return calls. Either that or provide some training
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Plumbers have to do some of the dirtiest jobs. They deserve every dollar.

I know someone who had a drain pipe break under their house in the crawl space. They didn't realize it until the stench became apparent.

The plumber had to go under and pull up all the vapor barrier along with all the 💩 that had accumulated. This was in the winter too with temperatures in the 20's to low 30's.

Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I work in healthcare, when I spoke to my electrician last year, his small business with two or three other employees is pulling in over half a million a year. He joined his father straight out of high school, has been probably doing it at least 30+ years, he's got a house three times as big as mine with a couple of dozen acres. It's quite impressive with some tradesmen can make, as long as they are motivated

My son dropped out of High School.
After that he always worked.
About 20 years ago he started in the HVAC business.
He is now a mater installer.
Makes about 76K a year.
Bought a nice town house.
Has a nice truck and other toys.
76K a year is good money in Colorado.

$76K will get you a 1 room rent and a used kia here.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
The money is in the commercial business. And for that, you need to be in the good ol' boy network. Not an easy task for a newcomer.

Yep.

I know a plumbing contractor that does lots of work for a few hospitals and makes great money.

He probably had to grease some wheels to get those big $$$ contracts.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Oh well $189 isn't bad for California, come to Texas and that would be $89.99

Not many clogs in Texas as sewer pipe's in Texas are twice the diameter as the rest of the country. Everything's big in Texas!

That's what I have heard. Belt buckles too.

I'm sure everyone knows what they have to deal with on a daily basis. I couldn't do it. I'd be puking my guts out. I had a total repipe done on my house a couple years ago and some of the old cast iron pipes they took out were worse than just sewer smells. Even outside in the open air I had one wiff and it got me coughing, gagging and eyes watering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back