Ford 2018 owners manual specs wrong trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

The 2018 Ford F150 owner's manual seems to spec the wrong transmission fluid for the 10 speed! It states Mercon LV for use in united states.
https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/ford/2018-f150.pdf

However, the factory service manual, multiple dealerships, the transmission fluid chart all state Mercon ULV for the 10 speed.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/atfUS.pdf
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=MERCON%AE%20ULV%20Automatic%20Transmission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

I guess I'm just mostly saddened that Ford seems to have made such a serious mistake.

-kehyler

There's probably a revised version of that manual somewhere...

I think the manual for my '09 Sable,( built Sept '08) was already the 3rd revision.
so I just Google'd "2018 F150 Manual.

the first link that came up, From Fordservicecontent.com
has a spash screen saying this: (any underlines are mine)
"This view of the Owner's Manual contains the very latest information, which may vary slightly from the printed Owner's Manual originally provided with your vehicle. It may also describe content that is not on or operates differently on your vehicle. Please consider the Owner's Manual originally provided with your vehicle as the primary source of information for your vehicle.
The information contained in this publication was correct at the time of going to print.In the interest of continuous development, we reserve the right to change specifications, design or equipment at any time without notice or obligation.No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, stored in a retrieval system or translated into any language in any form by any means without our written permission.Errors and omissions excepted."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...kcode=O37603&VIN=&userMarket=USA

Last edited:
By the time you actually have to change it, there will be an aftermarket ATF meeting either standard
smile.gif

Of course, Maxlife might make a claim it's suitable for ULV applications
27.gif

Beyond yours being a fluke, if that is really what it says in all of them there might be a recall. I have seen it before. Basically they either give you a new manual, or send stickers out to cover and correct the error.

Originally Posted by earlyre
There's probably a revised version of that manual somewhere...

I think the manual for my '09 Sable,( built Sept '08) was already the 3rd revision.
so I just Google'd "2018 F150 Manual.

the first link that came up, From Fordservicecontent.com
has a spash screen saying this: (any underlines are mine)
"This view of the Owner's Manual contains the very latest information, which may vary slightly from the printed Owner's Manual originally provided with your vehicle. It may also describe content that is not on or operates differently on your vehicle. Please consider the Owner's Manual originally provided with your vehicle as the primary source of information for your vehicle.
The information contained in this publication was correct at the time of going to print.In the interest of continuous development, we reserve the right to change specifications, design or equipment at any time without notice or obligation.No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, stored in a retrieval system or translated into any language in any form by any means without our written permission.Errors and omissions excepted."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...kcode=O37603&VIN=&userMarket=USA

Even that one still has the problem, see: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Beyond yours being a fluke, if that is really what it says in all of them there might be a recall. I have seen it before. Basically they either give you a new manual, or send stickers out to cover and correct the error.

Its in even the most recent one, see the above post. My guess is they are unaware of the issue.

Originally Posted by kehyler
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Its in even the most recent one, see the above post. My guess is they are unaware of the issue.

When I get to work tomorrow, I will send an email to our parts assistance people. If you can shoot me your VIN in a PM and I will word it as a concerned customer. Other people have done that and it has ended up in a recall.

The owners manual in the glovebox when you bought the truck trumps any "revision" that is posted on any website though, including Ford's. The only way they can revise it is if they send you a new, printed owners manual. Even then, you are grandfathered for any service done based on the original manual.

If Ford does that then they need to change out the wrong fluid, under warranty.

Sure, they can say its a misprint but they are still liable, no automaker can win that situation. That is because a reasonable person would follow the owners manual. If Mercon LV turns out to be a dangerous choice, Ford would have to repair any damage.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So what would happen if you used the LV fluid in the transmission?

Seems no one is hearing you. I suspect nothing and either can be used. When ULV came out some bean counter came out and said it was ok so they didn't have to stock 2 similar fluids. Kind of like when they back spec'd my 93 F150 4.9L to 5w-20.

shift timing is the main thing I've noticed with incorrect viscosity in other transmissions. Using a normal viscisity fluid in a LV toyota resulted in a "heavier" shift that was slower and clunkier. Going to the right LV fluid made it quicker and seamless. Fast shifts in my book is a good thing.

What about this: What does GM use? It's the same trans!!

-m

Hi
Makes you wonder if the manuals are proof read before print.
Jeep had a similar problem with early Grand Cherokee WK. The manual said to use ATF in the NV245 transfer case.

Originally Posted by meep
shift timing is the main thing I've noticed with incorrect viscosity in other transmissions. Using a normal viscisity fluid in a LV toyota resulted in a "heavier" shift that was slower and clunkier. Going to the right LV fluid made it quicker and seamless. Fast shifts in my book is a good thing.

-m

GM uses their new Dexron-HP, another ULV ATF
smile.gif

GM uses Dexron ULV in the 10 speeds. Dexron HP is for the 8 speeds. This is per a 2019 owners manual.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by meep

-m

GM uses their new Dexron-HP, another ULV ATF
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drtyler
GM uses Dexron ULV in the 10 speeds. Dexron HP is for the 8 speeds. This is per a 2019 owners manual.

oops, I thought HP was the ULV, sorry
blush.gif

I have a 2018 F-150 5.0 V8. My manual is v.3. I just looked up the spec for Automatic transmission. The first entry calls for ULV. The second entry shows US and Mexico, LV. The third entry shows Canada, LV.

Confused yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back