2014 Focus DCT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sorry, wish I had a picture to the repair order.

Basically they just replaced the clutch kit and did the adaptive learning. No mention of any seals or anything else. No mention of oil leaks or any of the other issues that are related to this.

The biggest local Ford dealer is undergoing renovation. Sounds like their capacity is limited. I called one a town over and got the runaround. I have no experience with Ford or any other American dealership system, and I am surprised and just how bad they seem to be. Ford stepped up (finally) but their dealers seem to be misleading or misinformed or just plain incompetent. Not a good look, and I'd like to support a domestic company. What happened to integrity?

The service came with a free Carfax. I'm surprised to see the level of detail, right down to regular oil changes every 5000 miles and a set of crappy tires from Fleet Farm. What stuck out to me was the TCM at about 17k. That seems to be the only clutch-related work until the clutch kit.

I paid $8400 for what was then a 3 year old car with lots of options and low miles. I've been driving BMWs for 22 years, so this really isn't that big of a deal as far as mechanical annoyances compared to that lol.

Last edited:
They would have charged out the seal kit also. The part number for the clutch kit is F1FZ-7B564-B and the Focus seal kit is EV6Z-7052-C. It it was a Fiesta it would be FA6Z-7B546-A and EV6Z-7052-D. The seal kits include all the hardware that you are required to replace when dropping the transmission as well as the seals.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
Oh, sorry, wish I had a picture to the repair order.

Basically they just replaced the clutch kit and did the adaptive learning. No mention of any seals or anything else. No mention of oil leaks or any of the other issues that are related to this.

The biggest local Ford dealer is undergoing renovation. Sounds like their capacity is limited. I called one a town over and got the runaround. I have no experience with Ford or any other American dealership system, and I am surprised and just how bad they seem to be. Ford stepped up (finally) but their dealers seem to be misleading or misinformed or just plain incompetent. Not a good look, and I'd like to support a domestic company. What happened to integrity?

The service came with a free Carfax. I'm surprised to see the level of detail, right down to regular oil changes every 5000 miles and a set of crappy tires from Fleet Farm. What stuck out to me was the TCM at about 17k. That seems to be the only clutch-related work until the clutch kit.

I paid $8400 for what was then a 3 year old car with lots of options and low miles. I've been driving BMWs for 22 years, so this really isn't that big of a deal as far as mechanical annoyances compared to that lol.

If I can ask where you are from originally? I would figure Europe possibly Sweden, or Norway?

Yes dealers in the USA in general are horrible, there are some exceptions but it's very hit or miss and the competency of most is poor, even at the premium European brands.
Unfortunately they are so bad we call them "$tealerships" here.

Thanks for the follow up and I hope your car stays in good working order.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
badtlc said:
We very rarely do transmission replacements on the Powershift assemblies. It is usually either the clutch assy, or the TCM, or both. Sometimes we do the actuators and shift forks. The physical internals of the transmission are a manual transmission, the issues are with the dry clutch pack and the actuation units.

Interesting. I know 3 folks who got free transmission replacement on their Focus in the last 3 years. I hadn't heard of anyone getting only parts replaced.

I know it's been discussed before, but it's not even so much the dry clutch being the issue with the powershift. It's shaft seal leakage flinging oil onto the friction material. A stupid seal problem. Are these things building internal pressure and blowing oil past the seal or is the problem with the seal itself?

Originally Posted by JTK
I know it's been discussed before, but it's not even so much the dry clutch being the issue with the powershift. It's shaft seal leakage flinging oil onto the friction material. A stupid seal problem. Are these things building internal pressure and blowing oil past the seal or is the problem with the seal itself?

The problem is the seal itself. The new seals are different, I believe a different color to indicate it has been updated.

I'm not European, just a Minnesotan who drives European cars and have taken cars to dealerships for service exactly once. This is my first time! (I've used indy shops for alignments and to do a rear main seal when I didn't want to yank my transmission in my BMW in January.) So not a lot of dealership experience in my 43 years.

I've always done all of my own work. 4 Saabs, 6 BMWs, a Toyota Van (back when they were awesome), and a Pontiac 6000LE.

So what would it take to DIY a DCT clutch? I've watched some videos and aside form a couple of jigs and the software it looks very straightforward. Anybody ever DIY it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back