How long can a neglected Toyota 4.0 last at this rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A close female family member of mine has a 2006 4Runner with the 4.0 V6 VVT-i w/59k. I am always reminding her how she "needs to keep up on oil changes." The reply is "I just had one done not too long ago" and I checked the odometer today... 59.6k. Sticker says next OC due at 56k or 10/12/19. I know the garage that she goes to, and they do 4k or 5k intervals... so last OC was at 52/51k mid-summer with whatever bulk dino they have.

It pains me to see what was such a nice 4runner that was in the family since new go on it's way to an early grave. Lots of varnish on the dipstick tube and cap for its mileage... I'm going to do an OC next week on it. What would you guys recommend for this particular engine? I already have some Mobil Super Syn 5-30 and Synblend 5-30 HM stockpiled, thinking of using that. Also, I have various Motorcraft filters piled up. I'm debating whether to use the HM or syn, and the FL910s or the FL400s (longer filter that would thread on and seat, but requires engine cover to be removed).

Any tips are appreciated.

Mobil 1 Annual protection is on clearance at Autozone. Surely she can remember to get an oil change every 15-20k or once per year. There's a guy on Tacomaworld that changes his oil (2006 4.0 v6) with Mobil 1 EP every 8-12k (bought new) and has over 400k miles on the original engine. The M1-209 is a good filter that's bigger than stock.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/400-000-miles.404359/

CF7EC07F-91BE-459D-86F5-3219550A1252.png

I know from experience, Toyotas can take a lot of abuse, more than the average car! I'm sure it would still reach 300k neglected. Should see what I put my poor old 1980 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with the 22R 4 cylinder through every weekend. It gets anything but babied!

Well I think if she's only going to be changing her oil every 8,000 miles, I'd go with some sort of extended performance synthetic an call it a day. Port injection engines are easy on oil anyway.

Very tough engine - even 10k changes with bulk oil aren't abuse with this one. It is probably just fine.

The question is not really about the truck, but how long can a darwin award winner survive in this world when she refuses to take care of her business. There is nobody here that can answer that, because darwin never gave us a time table, and if she is good looking, chances are she wont pay anyway because her next boy friend will pay it like we all do. Obviously she doesn't give a single terd about it, so why should you?

What is your exact role in the maintenance of this car? If the owner can't be bothered to do basic maintenance then you helping them will just make them even more forgetful or careless about it.

Given the mileage and date due you provided, it sounds like she is driving a lot of miles which suggests a fair bit of highway use. 10k is no cause for concern unless the thing is primarily short tripped, or some other kind of severe service (tons of idling, racing, etc.) Personally, I'd say she's doing nothing but getting her money's worth! This is probably not a vehicle she intends to drive 300k+, most people don't own a vehicle to 150k let alone twice that! I think a friendly reminder is warranted and nothing more. I think the Mobil Super-Syn 5w-30 would be ideal for up to 10k intervals, provided her use doesn't fall into severe service.

10k with any synthetic won't harm that engine.

I regularly go 8-10k in my Tacoma with synthetic.

If she's family I'd help her stay up on maintenance. Plus if she's at around 60k, now would be a good time to peek at the manual and see what else is due. Probably not a lot recommended, but she may be in need of an air filter or something else minor.

The suggestion of going for an EP or full synthetic will provide some buffer if she gets into another scenario like the truck is in now. I wouldn't expect any damage to have been caused, unless she has prior ran it WAY over 10k miles on conventional.

If it were me as long as the engine isn't making any abnormal noises or smoking, I'd run M1 EP/factory filter and call it a day. I'd rather change her oil once a year as opposed to having to get involved in an engine replacement or go shopping for a replacement vehicle if the engine pops
crazy2.gif

Any bets on the over/under number of months until the thread... I changed her oil and now the engine (you can substitute transmission, suspension, steering, cooling system, brakes) died and she blames me for it.

Opinion given...

I look after several cars of members of my church. Generally widows and single moms. I use a label maker and add 3K to the current mileage at the last change.
The white label is stuck on their windshield up in the top left corner.

They are supposed to remind me when their mileage gets to what is on the sticker. LOL, I end up changing most everyone at least in 5K. I have only one lady who
will let me know when she gets to within 100 miles or so.

I told one of them to get their timing belt changed because they were at 120K and it hadn't been changed. 6 months later she called me and said her car just made a
bunch of racket and died on the side of the road. I said, "Do you remember me reminding you 3 times to get your timing belt changed?" She just hung her head and said, "I'm sorry." At least it didn't mess up the engine but it sure was an inconvenience for her.

I feel your pain. Sometimes we feel responsible and it makes us sad when we try to help people who may not want our help.

If you're doing her oil change now, why not do it later as well? She can pay you and you can keep an eye on it.

If that's not going to happen often, then I'd go with a long drain synthetic....M1 EP and a Fram Ultra, then check up on her in 11 months.

She's sounds like the kind of car owner M1 AP was made for. Even with the relatively high upfront cost, it's a savings over the long haul... and better for the engine....

99% cars go with 15000km oil changes here. Toyotas runs to 300000km doing this. Many other cars do. Diesel too. But keep in mind we almost have only inline-4

I know lots of people from lots of different backgrounds who just don't care all that much about OCIs. They get the oil changed randomly at quick lubes, have no idea what was put in the engine and these cars live long happy lives and life goes on.

Now a 13-year-old car with 60K miles....even I say who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back