Who is your favorite Heavy Metal Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yevgeny Mravinski conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic in a Tchaikovsky cycle.

Early 60's vintage.

Radiohead playing Paranoid Android is the wildest I get - and that is "all knobs at 11"

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Piece of Mind

Greatest album ever recorded.
Convince me I'm wrong.

Seventh son of a seventh son
Number of the beast minus gangland
Powerslave has some of the best songs ever

I think I make a great argument ðŸ‘...

Piece of Mind

Convince me I'm wrong.

I'm there with you. The Trooper, Revelations, Where Eagles Dare, The Flight of Icarus, etc? Come on. It can't be beat, even though Maiden has had a history of putting out just about perfect albums.

Ozzy (saw him in concert last year, was awesome even at his age) and Avenged Sevenfold are my top two right now, but it changes often depending on what I get a chance to listen to.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Piece of Mind

Convince me I'm wrong.

I'm there with you. The Trooper, Revelations, Where Eagles Dare, The Flight of Icarus, etc? Come on. It can't be beat, even though Maiden has had a history of putting out just about perfect albums.

"Wasted Years". My fave Iron Maiden song.

Surprised not more Priest fans.

Dio had the voice for sure.

Seen lots of band names I never heard of. I need to check them out!

Dio? Love Zep as well and even The Beetles did some metal.
So many good tracks from good bands from the era.
Feel kinda old when I realize when these bands were active and my favorite tracks were released.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Which groups were probably the very first true heavy metal bands? Early stuff like Led Zepplin,Blue Cheer,Jimi Hendrix,etc,I'd classify as acid rock/hard rock/blues rock.

I'd have to say either the Scorpions, Black Sabbath, or Deep Purple hold that title.. possibly even Judas Priest.

Who doesn't know Blackmore's intro on "Smoke on the Water"?... arguably the greatest guitar intro, right alongside Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" IMO.

Add Primus to my list...Claypool's bass is some of the best ever.

Last edited:
Roots of heavy metal but with far more musicality and virtuosity, & improvisational ability than any band since:
CREAM.

RIP Jack and Ginger.

HELLYEAH, Lacuna Coil, I Prevail, Memphis May Fire, Fever 333, Beartooth, Escape the Fate, Motionless in White, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, KoRn, and how could one ever forget Pantera? I know not all those are "heavy" metal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Powerglide
Roots of heavy metal but with far more musicality and virtuosity, & improvisational ability than any band since:
CREAM.

RIP Jack and Ginger.

Cream, Yardbirds, Stones, Hendrix, Zeppelin..all great rock bands but the nod for that era IMO has to go to Deep Purple. DP practically invented the genre heavy metal... Richie Blackmore's guitar playing on DP and Rainbow is legendary.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of all music with distorted guitar riffs. The bands I listen to most (in no particular order):

HEAVY METAL:
Metallica
Megadeth
Pantera
Ozzy (Black Sabbath)
FFDP
Type O Negative
Dio
Cannibal Corpse
Godsmack
Anthrax

...and most 70's hard rock and 80's-90's "hair bands"....Motley Crüe, Poison, Ratt, White Snake, White Lion, Cinderella, Kiss, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Alice and Chains, Drive N' Cryin, Guns N Roses, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Skid Row, Tesla, etc.

....and nearly all "classic rock" bands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Surprised not more Priest fans.

Dio had the voice for sure.

Seen lots of band names I never heard of. I need to check them out!

Look at my license plate :)
[Linked Image]

I've posted this before. My brother playing some DT (Under a Glass Moon is one of my favorite solos).

Piece of Mind

Convince me I'm wrong.

The Number Of The Beast is the greatest album recorded. I'm not wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back