Rotate Tires, but not Balance them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really over thinking this but here goes. I bought new Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires for my Toyota Tacoma 4X4 5 months ago or 5,000 miles. Today after work I stopped in tire dealer for the Lifetime Rotate Balance Valve Stems Alignment Check etc etc etc. All I wanted was to rotate and balance tires. The dealer told me it would be at least 3 hours before they could get to me since it's a first come first serve policy. Yes, they were very busy place. Plus the tire dealer is almost 30 miles away. Nope, not waiting......

So I came home and rotated them myself in about 45 minutes. Took a test drive and still tracking like on rails. I guess my question is: Should you balance your tires each time they are rotated? Need be if something felt wrong I'd had stayed. Thx!

I only balance if there's a vibration. And balance should not affect tracking; that's an alignment, suspension and/or tire design issue.

Then there is always the chance they can take a balanced tire, and un-balance it instead.

I have 26k miles on my Michelin Defenders and have never had them re-balanced. I just rotate them myself. If they don't vibrate then there is no point in balancing. Just another chance for the tire guy to mess up the car or wheels.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
x2, I don't rebalance unless I'm getting vibrations.

x3 I have never balanced tires when rotating them. I have been driving since the 1970's, no problems to report. If there's a vibration, or a weight gets tossed off a wheel and I notice it, I'll balance it. That happened to me last winter.

If you have a slightly bent wheel the tech may have silently put it on the rear where you won't feel it, so upon your first rotation you'll feel it now. Or if he found a turkey of a tire that took more weight than the rest of them.

But, in theory, you shouldn't need a re-balance.

Check your inflation pressures if they're different, though.

Some of my wheels get one rebalance in their lifetime, usually over 30K miles, many make it through to retirement with no balances after the initial. Occasionally one will throw a weight and then I'll get all of them done.

But if it's a free service... sure, take advantage of it. When the wait isn't so long!

No balancing with rotations here, it's a waste and you risk someone mucking it up and creating a vibration. If the wheel is shaking or I feel a vibration and I've ruled out suspension components, only then will I get the tires re-balanced.

Yeah no need to rebalance if there's no vibration. But I believe most tire dealers will also do appointments. With walk ins, it's a first come first serve policy. Even Costco will let you make appointments and I've had tire dealers tell me it's a two hour wait but if you call in advance, you can make an appointment. Costco isn't bad when you make an appointment in and out in less than an hour.

If all is well leave it be. I don't like to let anyone near the car's lug nuts or drain plugs unless necessary.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Yeah no need to rebalance if there's no vibration....
This. I get balance done with rotation because it's included with DT tire purchase. But with no vibration noted, I've had OE tires rotated no balance there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back