2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4165 miles factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the factory oil out at 4,165 miles. Almost all highway miles, no towing, couldn't have been easier on the truck. There were lots of wear metals, in fact I've done dozens of UOAs on my vehicles and never seen this high. Change out that break-in oil folks!

Put in Castrol EP 5W-20 and Fram Ultra filter (first used a Mopar filter but it was defective, bad ADV giving startup lifter noise). I'll be changing it out at 3k and sending in the oil again to hopefully get those metals down before extending my intervals out to the manufacturer's recommendations (10k).

2019 Ram UOA.jpg

Which is why I always recommend changing the oil early in new engines. Doesnt even hurt the change the oil early on the second oil change.

I'm a big fan of an early oil change for a new vehicle.
27.gif

Regarding the UOA: No coolant mixing into the oil, not much fuel getting into it, silicon looks good, three good things. Not much else useful data in this report on such a new engine. Copper is coming from the oil cooler. I'd skip the reports until about 20K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by smonska
Changed the factory oil out at 4,165 miles. Almost all highway miles, no towing, couldn't have been easier on the truck. There were lots of wear metals, in fact I've done dozens of UOAs on my vehicles and never seen this high. Change out that break-in oil folks!

Put in Castrol EP 5W-20 and Fram Ultra filter (first used a Mopar filter but it was defective, bad ADV giving startup lifter noise). I'll be changing it out at 3k and sending in the oil again to hopefully get those metals down before extending my intervals out to the manufacturer's recommendations (10k).

And some still say don't dump it early!
crazy2.gif

But at the same time there's no way to tell the amount of damage causing material in that UOA, if any. The metals that show up in the UOA are not the ones causing damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back