Rotella T6 5w40 CK-4 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the current (oct 2019) version, no passenger car API approval anymore. Still very similar to what it always was.

ROTELLA T6-190920.jpg

Besides "Because Shell says not to," is there any visible reason in the analysis not to run this in a gas engine requiring an SM oil (2006 6.0 LS)?

I'm running a 5w-30 HM oil now, but always have T6 on hand for other stuff . . .

Many in the subaru community run this in their STI'S with great results. I believe the main issue is the higher ZDDP levels plugging catalytic converters, but that is a non issue for most of the tuned Subaru's out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by addyguy
Not bad, just would like it to have some moly in it. I know not required, but still nice.

Moly is bad for wet clutches I believe which would kill the JASO MA/MA2 certification of this oil

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Not bad, just would like it to have some moly in it. I know not required, but still nice.

Moly is bad for wet clutches I believe which would kill the JASO MA/MA2 certification of this oil

It is not JASO MA/MA2 rated anymore....just like its not API SN rated anymore either....had to do with the new CK-4 rating....I don't think the formulation really changed.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

It is not JASO MA/MA2 rated anymore....just like its not API SN rated anymore either....had to do with the new CK-4 rating....I don't think the formulation really changed.

Last gallon I bought still had the JASO rating on the back. Are they making a hard switch to the CK-4 or will the other T6 still exist?

I just purchased Rotella T6 5w40 and it is JASO rated for motorcycles. This is from the Rotella T6 site: OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Nice, thanks for posting this up. Might start using this in the winter when I can't get Mobil ESP.

I've just sent over a current batch of T6 in the 15W-40 flavor to Blackstone last week, I'll be sure to post the results as soon as they arrive.

Originally Posted by MVFarms
Besides "Because Shell says not to," is there any visible reason in the analysis not to run this in a gas engine requiring an SM oil (2006 6.0 LS)?

I'm running a 5w-30 HM oil now, but always have T6 on hand for other stuff . . .

I don't see any issues using this in a LS engine.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If you want to try Rotella T6 0w40 , it is CJ-4 SN.

Interesting, I didn't realize the 0w40 is still CJ-4 SN, I wonder why as all the other viscosities went to CK-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back