Going in for cataract surgery

Good luck to you. Cataract surgery is a 100 percent routine operation with extremely low rate of complications. Don't sweat it.

Both eyes done in 2015. No issues. I chose distance vision, so I do wear eyeglasses for close up work. The team got me to 20/25 vision in both eyes distance.

Had both eyes done at 39, youngest cataract patient my Opthamologist had ever done. I'm 61 now and have had no issues w my vision since the procedure. The method he used was called Phacoemulsification, not sure how they do it these days. Dr. pops a tiny hole in the upper white part of the eye, sticks a probe in and removes the lens. New lens goes in the same hole and your done. I got both eyes done a few months apart and recovery was easy. I need reading glasses at a low power but my vision at distance is perfect.

Just an FYI, they have some upgraded options that may or may not be covered by insurance or Medicare. They have an upgraded lense and can seal things up with a laser that may make the operations better. Check with you doctor and insurance company. You may want to pay for them even if they are not covered.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feed back. Can still drive during the day with polarized glasses when Sun is out. 66 years young.
But gave up night driving 2 months ago. Headlights with halo's and starburst were so bad. Did not want to be the cause of hurting someone or worse in a accident.

I had the same surgery the hardest part was preparing for it with all the freaking eye drops bright light afterwards because that's what you couldn't see couple of weeks later you'll be perfect at least that was in case have a good time

You probably won't be allowed to drive after this procedure but that's okay you'll be fine

My operation was performed at The Fichman Eye center in Manchester Connecticut

TOMB

Last edited:
My father just had this done and he's very happy. He went from a -12 prescription to -2 and no longer needs reading glasses. He had to wear a patch for a day after the surgery and use drops both pre- and post-op.

Correct me if I'm wrong but people on Medicare are not allowed to pay for medical care additions out of pocket?

I had a new lens installed in my right eye over a year ago. I opted for the laser surgery and advanced lens. It cost me $5k above and beyond the insurance. They could not attach the laser machine to my eye, I was under sedation and was fighting them when they tried to attach the device. The anesthesiologist couldn't give me any more juice as my respiration was getting too shallow, apparently not so shallow as I wouldn't try to punch someone. I don't remember any of it. I had to go in a week later and they did the old fashioned surgery and implanted the upgraded lens. Vision is much better but I have the concentric circles and halo effect at night with the eye now. When and if I do the other eye, I'm going the cheapest route available. The costly upgrade wasn't worth it.

I strongly recommend you do not get a bifocal lens or one lens for reading and one for distance. Keep it simple.

You won't believe it- the one eye that you get done first..something pure white will be brilliant white the other eye will see it as yellow. Its amazing.

The only "complication" could be you get an astigmatism when you had none before but you could have less astigmatism when before you had more.

Also in 10 to 20 percent of people develop a cloudy spot . This easily fixed with a 1 minute laser procedure and will never come back. I got it in both eyes go figure.

My mother is actually halfway through cataract surgery-had one eye done last Friday, the other is this Friday. BEFORE the surgery, get the things you'll want: very dark sunglasses and an eye patch. Your eye will be dilated for a while (almost 2 days for my mother), and even moderately-bright light will be painful. If you're a side or front sleeper, tell the people at the ophthalmologist's-they will probably give you an eye shield. (Shoving your freshly-fixed eye into your pillow has no chance whatsoever of ending well.) If so, hit CVS for some PAPER adhesive tape. For the first day and a half or so after surgery, you may have problems focusing due to the drops they use-my mother wore an eye patch.

Start to finish, I recall my mother was at the surgeon's for about 2 hours, most of it prep and the inevitable pile of paperwork.

Both of my grandparents on my dad's side had it done with no issues and no pain. Just wore an eye patch for that evening or so.

I am scheduled to have my right eye done a week from next Monday . DR. gave me 2 RX's for eye drops . He will do the other eye at a latter date .

I have heard good things about the surgery , but I am a coward when it comes to the knife ! :-(

This was scheduled for next Monday , but we are going out of town this weekend for a memorial service & driving back home Monday .

I am on Medicare + an advantage plan . Cost me almost $ 500 for one eye ( out of pocket ) and the other eye should be the same . Ouch ! :-( That is for the eye doctor . The surgery center will be a few hundred dollars more .

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
My mother is actually halfway through cataract surgery-had one eye done last Friday, the other is this Friday. BEFORE the surgery, get the things you'll want: very dark sunglasses and an eye patch. Your eye will be dilated for a while (almost 2 days for my mother), and even moderately-bright light will be painful. If you're a side or front sleeper, tell the people at the ophthalmologist's-they will probably give you an eye shield. (Shoving your freshly-fixed eye into your pillow has no chance whatsoever of ending well.) If so, hit CVS for some PAPER adhesive tape. For the first day and a half or so after surgery, you may have problems focusing due to the drops they use-my mother wore an eye patch.

Start to finish, I recall my mother was at the surgeon's for about 2 hours, most of it prep and the inevitable pile of paperwork.

Winter of 17. Very pleasant experience. Having the right eye done in near future. We have two opthamologist in this city of 23,000 and they stay busy doing this surgery.

My ophthalmologist does 7 a week. And this is a rural area. He told me there is an ophthalmologist in Massachusetts that does 70 a month.
crazy2.gif

My ophthalmologist does 7 a week. And this is a rural area. He told me there is an ophthalmologist in Massachusetts that does 70 a month.
crazy2.gif
I could tell I needed it when looking at the eye chart. Instead of black letters on a white background, the background was tan.

Back