Used car with Auto Braking for under $10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a challenge: what's a used car with Auto Emergency Braking (or FCA, whatever you want to call it) that you can buy for $10k or under? My wife will start commuting a few days a week in a couple months and of all nanny features available now I like this one the best. Not married to any one body style or brand, but it needs to be fuel efficient.

Not under 10k but the 2020 elantra has auto braking standard.

I picked up the well optioned "value edition" for 16200.
The value edition has all the other "nannies" too.
Its 37-43mpg so far when I drive it.

Originally Posted by Rand
Not under 10k but the 2020 elantra has auto braking standard.

I picked up the well optioned "value edition" for 16200.
The value edition has all the other "nannies" too.
Its 37-43mpg so far when I drive it.

Good thought on the Elantra. It looks like you can get a top-trim 2017 with auto braking included for $11-12k on the lowest end, but those aren't plentiful.

2016 was the first year that AEB was available in lower-end economy cars, and in 2016 it was typically optional (available mostly on upper trim level models). You might get lucky and find one in your price range that has a lot of miles on it. The most likely possibility would be a Sentra.

How much is she commuting, and how long would you own the car for? In New England it can get dicey past 10 years due to road salt, so there can be the temptation to buy new and get the best half of life, instead of buying used and getting the worse half.

Is the auto braking threshold something that can be adjusted on most if not all models? I think a coworker said his Tesla was adjustable, or maybe that was for adaptive cruise. Anyhow, it's New England, sometimes I think it's a car length per 60 mph in some areas.

Originally Posted by supton
How much is she commuting, and how long would you own the car for? In New England it can get dicey past 10 years due to road salt, so there can be the temptation to buy new and get the best half of life, instead of buying used and getting the worse half.

Is the auto braking threshold something that can be adjusted on most if not all models? I think a coworker said his Tesla was adjustable, or maybe that was for adaptive cruise. Anyhow, it's New England, sometimes I think it's a car length per 60 mph in some areas.

No....none to my knowledge.

Well the closest I can come is about 12k for a 2014 Mercedes E-350 4matic. Has about 130k, but has keyless go, power trunk closer, wooden steering wheel, navigation, etc.

Basically all the 2014+ E class cars had it. I think the C class didn't get it til 2015+ and they're also in the 12k+ range.

http://www.autoholding.us/vehicle-d...ass-e-350-4matic-hillside-nj-id-32863544

https://monroneylabels.com/cars/1023855-2014-mercedes-benz-e-class?hide_frame=false&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoholding.us%2Fvehicle-details%2F2014-mercedes-benz-e-class-e-350-4matic-hillside-nj-id-32863544&v=autoholding

I wouldn't. If you have to settle for something used below $10K, you'll be picking something that depreciated due to known repair costs including the higher costs of such automated systems, and could soon have spent more than it's worth.

If you really want her to be safe, don't get a small fuel efficient vehicle. Auto-braking can only do so much to protect the driver in a wreck with a larger vehicle, and presupposes the least harmful type of accident of rear ending someone in front of her while both vehicles were going the same direction.

She could be sitting completely still and get rammed by a random truck or SUV, t-boned at an intersection, or going the other direction on a road where someone drifts across the center line, or rear ended at a stop light, etc.

Regardless, do buy what you want but on that note, if she is going to be the primary driver, shouldn't she get to pick what it is?

Originally Posted by Dave9
if she is going to be the primary driver, shouldn't she get to pick what it is?

Certainly would in our house, with some gentle persuasion.

12k for a 2014 Mercedes E-350 4matic. Has about 130k

Talk about a hard pass....yikes. It would be safer than an econobox but still.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Why not? Of course for a few thousand more you could get one with much lower mileage. Has 302hp and 20/28 for city/highway mileage plus a bunch of airbags, can't remember 8 or 9 I think.

I believe the CLA also has it, but those 2014 models start at 11k+ so you're not really saving much.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Regardless, do buy what you want but on that note, if she is going to be the primary driver, shouldn't she get to pick what it is?

I don't remember saying that I'm picking the vehicle. Just gathering info, if that's OK with you.

Best bet might be a 2017 Corolla at a rental dealer. I've seen them down close to 10 at this point. A Yaris is also an option.

Barring Toyota keep an eye out for a Subaru Legacy with eyesight (2015) if lucky or a VW Jetta/Passat, although probably won't see 10K.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Why not?

A 5 year old Mercedes with 130k or a 2 year old Toyota with 30k? The Toyota likely has 100k trouble free miles ahead, can the same honestly be said of a 130k mile Mercedes? If you're a fan sure why not but for the average guy? What about things like the cost of insurance?

Why not?

A 5 year old Mercedes with 130k or a 2 year old Toyota with 30k? The Toyota likely has 100k trouble free miles ahead, can the same honestly be said of a 130k mile Mercedes? If you're a fan sure why not but for the average guy? What about things like the cost of insurance?

You'd be surprised. The cost of my insurance was about the same after switching to the Mercedes from a Ford Taurus. I'll admit that at 130k, it's probably going to be due for some regular maintenance if it hasn't been done like springs/shocks, ball joints, tie rods, alternator, etc. The car is also a 4matic which is handy in the northeast if you're talking about safety. So far, the W212 platform is actually pretty reliable, better than the previous W211. Lots of standard stuff you won't find in any of those other cars too, power driver and passenger seats with 3 position memory, LED headlights, even has a first aid kit. If the whole point is to buy a car with some fancy safety system, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another car with more safety systems.

Why not?

All things considered Corolla is much better option here. But, you would be surprised with insurance. I am actually paying $18 for 6 months more for Sienna than I paid for BMW X5. That insurance argument is bogus. Also, even regular wear items are not expensive that much, and with internet sales, once can get some parts super cheap.

The wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has the forward collision alert and auto braking. We keep it turned OFF - it is not a feature I like or appreciate. On the other hand, I love the adaptive cruise control that adjusts to the car ahead of you - THAT is a valuable feature to me.

Nah I'm sure that MB or a 12-13 Volvo S60 R Design with 130k would be a totally great commuter car, totally reliable. On a more serious note now, if they OP wants euro stuff there are lower mile Volvo S80's XC70's and S60's that came with autobraking, for a commuter you;d want the T5 turbo or 3.2 N/A engine but those were pretty rare. Most auto-braking ones have the T6 engine, we will be nice and call it a diva, it's not something you want used for commuting with 60k miles on it.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
The wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has the forward collision alert and auto braking. We keep it turned OFF - it is not a feature I like or appreciate. On the other hand, I love the adaptive cruise control that adjusts to the car ahead of you - THAT is a valuable feature to me.

I drove several cars with it. I turned it off. I think BSM is something really good, but some of these features are just selling point.
We had last few days some really frigid temperatures here in CO with one-two punch of snow storms. A lot of people got surprised and it was of course [censored] on roads.
So, TV crew was making report on this street that has 11% grade and people were sliding going downhill. They interviewed this lady who slid off the road going downhill. Her solution to that problem: she will buy AWD vehicle next year, as I guess she is convinced that will help her going downhill.
So those auto braking features and some other are there as selling point to lady like that. Subaru's commercials are prime example of how they sell vehicles emphasizing those features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back