Would I buy a GM car? No. But GM stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh to the cars and the stock right now.

That said, would have been cool to scoop a bunch of stock up during the last crash. Decent returns there.

I have never owned a GM vehicle, not any real reason, just that each time I was in the market, their products didn't compete well. Tried a few, rented many. I've had many Fords, and they have been okay but with a few duds.

I wouldn't recommend any automotive stocks. I think there is far too much capacity in the automarket, and with the switch away from ICE to battery / fuel cell / other motive power...it might take 20 years before a clear winner is decided. Next 10 years will be chaos me thinks. Add in the current 14-25 year olds in urban areas don't have much passion for car ownership, they prefer public transit or Uber to owning.

My GM stock that I bought 3 weeks ago is already up 12% as of today. It's rated 'greatly outperform' by Charles Schwab.

I've gambled and lost on their cars probably a half dozen times before I learned my lesson. I've considered buying their stock a few times but I just can't bring myself to do it.

My motorhome is the first GM vehicle I have ever owned and will be the last. Weird electrical problems that result in no crank. defective fuse box, burnt up fuel pump and bad starter. all at under 50,000 miles.

Maybe when I have some money to burn in the stock market. I haven't owned a GM since shortly after college, though I would be open to it after my Sentra has had a good life.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Good to see strike over and GM assembly lines open again. ðŸ‘

While I was at the gym this morning there was a segment on one of the channels that I never watch at home...about the closing of the Lordstown, Ohio plant that made the Cruze....Rather than correctly blaming the lack of sales of the Cruze...they chose to blame (guess who)....and it wasn't Mary Barra...who makes more in salary than the CEO of Toyota......

PS: I wouldn't buy GM stock or a new GM car (except maybe a Corvette if I was in the market for that type car...the Corvette is a bargain compared to similarly performing cars). I might buy a used GM (like a later model LaSabre with the 3.8) because they are a used car bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back