Walmart now has Zerex European coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is $12.48 for a gallon of 50/50, same price as the Asian coolant. It is blue, but a lighter shade of blue than the Asian blue.

[Linked Image]

I can't find it on their website. Nor on the Valvoline website. Are you sure it exists?

Did you look at the endorsements on the back of the bottle? Does it have Mercedes approval to 325.0? If yes, this will be convenient. Not necessarily cheaper. But convenient. I just paid $27 at the local MB dealership for a bottle of 325.0 concentrated. So I got OEM for almost the same price as Valvoline. But the closest MB dealership is about 50 miles. The closest Walmart is about 20 miles, and I drive by it every day on the way to work. But not like I need coolant very often.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
I can't find it on their website. Nor on the Valvoline website. Are you sure it exists?

Did you look at the endorsements on the back of the bottle? Does it have Mercedes approval to 325.0? If yes, this will be convenient. Not necessarily cheaper. But convenient. I just paid $27 at the local MB dealership for a bottle of 325.0 concentrated. So I got OEM for almost the same price as Valvoline. But the closest MB dealership is about 50 miles. The closest Walmart is about 20 miles, and I drive by it every day on the way to work. But not like I need coolant very often.

Yes, I took the picture while I was in the store
smile.gif

I did not look at the back of the bottle, but it does say automaker-approved on the front

Thanks for posting this. I use this in both my Ford Super Duties and my Mercedes S class. Great to know some Wal Marts are now stocking, I usually have to go to Auto Zone or Orielly for it.

I'm assuming this is their G-48 without the labeling, since it says BMW and MB... if not legit G-48, I'm not sure I'd touch it.

So then it begs the question of why not say it's G-48?

I got the Zerex g48 concentrate from Napa for $18.

If you have an MB, you only need to buy it every 15 years.

Always bear in mind that a coolant's life is the same whether it is in the bottle or in your non Mercedes Benz car (about 5 years). So don't stock up and check the date code when you buy.

I saw it in store yesterday first time. I was more pleased to see a good supply of Zerex/Valvoline Asian Blue (and red) on the shelves ~$13. Usually low stock around here, so was a little surprised to it well stocked. Beyond seeing it, didn't bother to check out topic AF.

Price is about a wash. I can buy BMW coolant for ~$25 and then $2 for the gallon of distilled water. In either case I'm going to have left over product.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I'm assuming this is their G-48 without the labeling, since it says BMW and MB... if not legit G-48, I'm not sure I'd touch it.

That is strange because Zerex is owned by BASF which produces the Glysantin family of coolants which include G48.

Perhaps BASF wouldn't give Valvoline the rights to use that designation?

I didn't think that BASF took over Valvoline or have they?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by JHZR2

That is strange because Zerex is owned by BASF which produces the Glysantin family of coolants which include G48.

IIRC Valvoline bought Zerex.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

IIRC Valvoline bought Zerex.

Valvoline is BASF's partner for North America and they mix up Zerex from BASF concentrates. It's probably a move for Walmart to avoid direct price comparisons against other retailers. Just like how AZ had 5.1qt oil jugs to prevent price matching against WM.

Blue color and automaker brand names is easy to understand for the Walmart customer.

G-48 on the label would only confuse them.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Blue color and automaker brand names is easy to understand for the Walmart customer.

++

Walmart probably wants things labeled with language someone without a college or technical background can understand.

Originally Posted by nthach

++

Walmart probably wants things labeled with language someone without a college or technical background can understand.

They still could put that approval in fine print for those of us that can make use of it. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Europe as all coolants carry
a letter number designation. eg. G48, G40, G30, ect

Originally Posted by nthach

++

They still could put that approval in fine print for those of us that can make use of it. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Europe as all coolants carry
a letter number designation. eg. G48, G40, G30, ect

It might be on the back of the bottle. I apologize for not checking before when I first saw it
blush.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
AC1DD said:
It might be on the back of the bottle. I apologize for not checking before when I first saw it
blush.gif

No, problem, I'm going down to China Mart tomorrow and will check it out myself. Thanks.
wink.gif

It's been my understanding that some MB's take G05? If this is true, this is somewhat misleading to the non car BITOG OCD folk.

I'd just with with the "factory" coolants or I guess G48 if you don't want to go to the dealer or buy online.

I tried finding a local coolant for her car and it's just not worth the hassle. Went with Volvo blue from an online source.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
It's been my understanding that some MB's take G05? If this is true, this is somewhat misleading to the non car BITOG OCD folk.

I'd just with with the "factory" coolants or I guess G48 if you don't want to go to the dealer or buy online.

I tried finding a local coolant for her car and it's just not worth the hassle. Went with Volvo blue from an online source.

I admit I'm not as familiar with Euro coolants because I don't have a vehicle application specing it. But when I have question about the spec I go to the Pentosin site for reference. Looks like their Pentofrost NF is what they recommend all MB and Volvo. Description says with silicates no nitrites, amines or phosphorus. The last consistent with Euro hard water considerations.

It is interesting they too choose not to call it G48 but use their own designation. My "speculation" with no more information than what's posted here is the topic AF has the same or very similar attributes.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_NF.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back