Best Silicone Type for Caliper Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
3M silicone or Dow 111 if the OEM calls for silicone grease.

Sil-Glyde is IMO closer to the red glycol-based grease Toyota and Subaru use despite the fact it has a little castor oil in it. I use the Toyota stuff for things that need that grease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Sil-Glyde doesn't have any silicone in it, correct?

How do you know it doesn't have any silicone in it?

Originally Posted by The Critic
The 3M Stuff is okay, but the non-silicone Toyota Pink grease is better.

If you had the choice between the 3M and Sil-Glyde, which would you grab to lube the slide pins?

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
You should consider this. I've used it for years.

Scott

https://www.amazon.com/ATE-700015-P...d=1572369468&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Didn't know this stuff could be used for pins - MB spec'ed it for the pad ears only. I think I have a big tube of ATE Plastilube (under the MB label). Do you want it?

Originally Posted by painfx
If you had the choice between the 3M and Sil-Glyde, which would you grab to lube the slide pins?

Neither, but if I had to, 3M.

What did you use when you were a tech?

3M or its equal for lower cost is Raybestos DBL-2T

https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-DBL-2T-Brake-Lube-Brush/dp/B0015RCGRM

If it previously used a petroleum or other naturally organic based grease (like Sil-Glyde) rather than entirely silicone based, flush it out first.

Sil-Glyde is nothing special, there are a dozen I'd use before it but if that's what I had and there were no known incompatibilities, I wouldn't throw it away instead of using it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by kschachn
Sil-Glyde doesn't have any silicone in it, correct?
How do you know it doesn't have any silicone in it?

The product's SDS does not list any polysiloxanes. Not that I wouldn't use it however, I have had good success with it on all of my cars (except the BMW which specifies no lubricant for the slide pins).

Edit - I will wind that back a bit. There seems to be conflicting information for the product. Some sources say it does not contain silicone yet others do. Is there more than one product?

Last edited:
OP, is there a reason you're looking specifically at Silicone?

If not, you might want to consider CRC as an option. I've been using this for a few years and have no complaints and seems to work as described.

If you're only looking between these two, I'd go with 3M as you're getting more bang for your buck.

Originally Posted by RamFan

Because nothing else works as well for *most* brake systems, and it is also great to have around for lubricating plastic, plastic on metal, and conditioning rubber (like window moldings, but wipe excess off so it doesn't become a dust magnet) or lubing urethane suspension bushings.

It's also superior to anti-seize goop for use on wheels that get rusted on the hubs, providing you don't use an excessive amount. I mean on the wheel interface to hub center, not the lug nuts. Do not grease lug nut studs, you'll end up playing a guessing game what the torque derating should be and then risk them coming loose easier.

I'm not suggesting you can't use anti-seize, or use other greases for caliper pins, but the main reason people use something else is other choices are cheaper and back in the day, few knew to use silicone grease instead of something cheap marketed as brake grease due to putting metal or ceramic in it to deal with the heat when the base grease was relatively poor at it by itself.

Last edited:
I'm one for 3M on slide pins since I started watching ETCG. Been using it for years now.

These best of this or best of that threads always fascinate me.
Do I need a 15-foot, 20-foot, or 22-foot ladder to get out of a 10-foot hole?!?
confused2.gif

Whatever the product, do a reasonable preventative maintenance schedule and just about any major brand of product will work fine.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Whatever the product, do a reasonable preventative maintenance schedule and just about any major brand of product will work fine.

Its not quite that clear cut, some products arent compatible I had major issues using the little packets of permatex brake lube. They would swell the rubber on the caliper pins and cause sticking.

So sometimes its not the best product but the least likely to cause any issues.

I find that the sil-glyde works ok to good on pins and doesnt create issues. Its also not very good on pad ears as it washes off too easy and also lets them easily rust up.

I use pastelub for that.. works way better and lasts 2-3 years vs 1 year for the sil-glyde.

Originally Posted by RamFan

If not, you might want to consider CRC as an option. I've been using this for a few years and have no complaints and seems to work as described.

If you're only looking between these two, I'd go with 3M as you're getting more bang for your buck.

I used to use CRC. I switched to Sil Glide. I still have two tubes of CRC black stuff left. It works fine but I like Sil Glide better because the CRC, at one point, dried out in some of my caliper pins. Maybe my calipers stuck and got too hot. I have not try 3M paste yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back