Hyundai SP-IV Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely will not be buying any S.Korean cars anymore when they start pulling
rip-offs as they've been with the ATFs and a couple of other maintenance issues.
I like my 2005 Tucson, it runs great, is fuel efficient but for any repair
work that I cannot do, I have to pay through the nose.

Originally Posted By: jx7000
I definitely will not be buying any S.Korean cars anymore when they start pulling
rip-offs as they've been with the ATFs and a couple of other maintenance issues.
I like my 2005 Tucson, it runs great, is fuel efficient but for any repair
work that I cannot do, I have to pay through the nose.

Ain't that the truth. Sometimes we know how much a part really costs hyundai to make, and the margins are beyond believe. I've seen over 1000% markups on some (goes through a few hands before it gets to the dealer, ofcourse)

I found this Valvoline at walmart.ca and it make no reference to it being SP-IV compatible. The part # 786953 is different from the one found at Walmart.com which is 773775. I've contact valvoline 5 times via email and still no response. I'm guessing the Canadian version is old stock.

picked this up at walmart in Wilkes barre pennsylvania yesterday.new specs:

p.s. the jug was the last one so i got the 1 liter too.combined less than $25 USD.

DMOntario,

Valvoline sold that oil lube product line to Niteo Products. here's what I posted on another thread re: P.S. Fluid:

So I called Niteo (1-844-696-4836) which bought out the MaxLife oils from Valvoline (http://www.niteoproducts.com/). Even the tech said he couldn't be sure if this MaxLife P.S. fluid is okay to use. I suspect Hyundai and Kia would not confirm or deny to Valvoline at the time that this MaxLife oil is compatible with their vehicles.

I think you'll get the same answer from them for the ATFluids, although I've been using the High Mileage MaxLife ATF in my 2005 Hyundai Tucson transmission (takes Diamond SP-III oil) for over 10,000km so far with no problems.

Has anyone taken the plunge with aftermarket ATF? I got a 2012 Hyundai Accent from my mother, she just didn't like all the bells and whistles.....lol, so I got it....love me some hand me downs....it's at 79000 now......figure at 100k I should probably change out the ATF.....manual specs MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV ...was contemplating Royal Purple Max ATF....but they only go up to SP-III....let it also lists compatiblity with DEXRON®-IIIH....which has got to be pretty high up there too.

Then I ran into this new "Full Synthetic" multi-vehicle ATF at Walmart....https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Multi-Vehicle-Low-Visosity-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-gal/52626199#about-item It's pretty hefty for a "generic" at $21 per gallon....but it's got a laundry list of "specs" listed too....surprising for a lowly generic...
Quote:
Additionally recommended for transmissions calling for DEXRON-III-H, Toyota WS, Toyota T IV, Honda Z-1, Honda DW-1, Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi SP-III, SP-IV, JASO 1A, 2A, JWS 3309, 3324, Audi/VW G-052-162-A1/A2, G-055-025-A2, TL 521 62, LT 71141, TL 521 62, BMW 5 HP, 5HP LT 71141, LA2634, BMW/Mini 83 22 0 402 4139, Volvo 97340, 97341, Subaru ATF, ATF HP, Nissan/Infiniti MATIC D, J, K, S, Scion, Mazda ATF M III and MV

This is just a follow up to my original post from 2016-10-12 19:42:10 (above). I first used that High Mileage MaxLife ATF and then MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF (both shown above) in my 2005 Hyundai Tucson transmission about 70,000 kms (43,750 mi) ago without ANY problems whatsoever. In fact, my tranny used to shudder when shifting from first to second gear using that original Hyundai Oil.

Then after I changed to the MaxLife ATF, that problem went away almost entirely until I drained and refilled with the MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF, at which point, the shuddering was completely gone. Today, I have 287,700 kms on the odometer (almost 180,000 mi), and the tranny shifts very smoothly and effortlessly--I love it the way it drives.

I'm only back here because my sister has a 2011 Kia Soul with a 2.0L engine and auto tranny, and I said that MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF will work in that too.

Last edited:
This is the one I bought at local Walmart, Canadian version:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dubber09
This is the one I bought at local Walmart, Canadian version:

[Linked Image]

That's a better price than in the US!!
crazy2.gif

Down here, it's $17.97 US for 4 qt

I have used the Maxlife ATF in my wife's 2012 Santa Fe, my sons 2014 Kia Rio and my daughter 2013 Elantra. All is well. I just do a drain and fill every 30K. Seems to work out.

Last edited:
That's a great schedule, should prevent abrasive media accumulation in the fluid and prevent glazing and clutch slipping.

Edit: I went to the WM I got ATF from, they sell it for CAD$32.97 now, glad I stocked up at that low low price.

I just happened to run across this post and decided to share my results with specific ATF for my vehicles. I own two kia optimas with the six speed transmission. one is a 12 that i bought used with 30K miles on it and the other i bought brand new. the 12 model i changed the atf with Halvoline dex vi - multi vehicle at 41K miles, then changed again at 51K miles. The 13 model i changed at 40K miles and again 54K with valvoline Max-life. The one that meets hyundai SP IV.

As of now one vehicle has 110K on it and the other is at 120K miles and they are both running fine. I did not really notice much difference when i changed the fluid , if i remember correctly, and they both are still performing fine.

My plan was to change them both again at 100K and basically do 50K mile changes. Im a little late but will get to it shortly.

**What is the Hyundai spec. up to now ? ... SP4-M ?
At any rate , Maxlife ATF red bottle hopefully is up to standards with the Hyundai spec. as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back