New Bike - Hip Abductor pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new bike last weekend. I am so disappointed. It's a Harley Street 750. I want to enjoy this bike so much. It's a fun sporty cruiser, and American made. My biggest problem with this bike is the ergonomics. The inside of my inner hips get super sore after riding for 15+ minutes. I am short, 5'3". I need some advice. I am considering my options. The bottom line is: can the pain be resolved? If not, I should return it.
Has anyone resolved this sort of pain before? I am considering seeing a medical professional to help figure out what exactly needs to be adjusted to resolve my hip pain. What do you think of that? How expensive might it be to modify the ergonomics on this bike? I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but anecdotes would help here. I would be taking a huge loss if I returned the bike to the dealer. But no point in destroying my body over money. My prior CBR250r produced no such pain. what do you guys think I should do? I am so disappointed. Please no criticism on testing the bike before buying it. I made a mistake, Im aware.

Can you return the bike? Can you change the handle bars or foot pegs placement to change your body position? Buying a Harley means a visit to the tat place.and wearing a do rag and clothing with cut off sleeves
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Please no criticism on testing the bike before buying it. I made a mistake, Im aware.

Even if you tested the bike before purchase you could have noticed it later.
A little different story because I'm 6'3 but I bought a 2007 Suzuki VStrom and had to get the seat heightened (went +4 inches radical way) to be comfortable and not develop hip pain. Same on my CB500X.

OMG, are you serious?

My biggest problem with this bike is the ergonomics. The inside of my inner hips get super sore after riding for 15+ minutes.

How long was your test ride?

HD bike are generally not LONG TERM comfortable. Thus the massive aftermarket in Corbin, etc. seats. I've been doing that a few decades now.

My prior CBR250r produced no such pain

Look, if that bike fit you, and you didn't bother to take a serous test ride on a small HD, just take it back. You are in the window, you'll loose nothing.

Go back to riding, grow on the bike you know until you know what you like, how to manipulate it, use it. It really sounds like you went after fashion vs. learning how to ride.

bikepics-186151-800.jpg

Not sure how old you are but as we age our bodies become less flexible. Look into hip, leg and groin stretching. Stretching 15 minutes a day may help.

I suggest talking to your dealer right away - not real likely but they may have a solution. Also, not to disparage this forum but i would ask for suggestions on advrider or some other motorcycle forum. You will reach a much larger cross section of motorcycle riders.

In lieu of giving a lot of money to the dealer, I think I would ride the bike more, exercise and stretch and see if this helps.
You may just regret returning the bike for a significant loss of money when it could work out for you in the long run

I doubt a custom seat, or an exercise workout is going to help much. Handlebar, seat, and foot peg placement, all combined together is what causes or prevents this. With the possible exception of the Electra and Tour Glide Classics, Harley's are known for creating sore backs. This is mostly due to the foot peg placement being too far forward, with the handlebars too far to the rear. Which places a lot of load on the lower back and spine.

As a result, most of them are, "30 minute bikes" tops. Even less for older riders. They're not something you want to take a long trip on. You want to establish the proper posture when you ride. That means having your back and spine straight up and down, or even slightly forward. Not leaning rearward with your feet out front. Which unfortunately is the riding position a lot of these cruisers establish. And it kills your back. You're riding a motorcycle, not sitting in an overstuffed recliner.

I had a 1984 Honda V-65 Magna that fit into this category much too well. Mechanically it had everything. Plenty of power. A smooth shifting 6 speed overdrive transmission. Liquid cooled 65 cubic inch V-4 with shaft drive. When I bought it, it was the fastest thing on 2 wheels.

They even advertised it in commercials with drag racer Jay Gleason making a pass on it, then displaying the 1/4 mile time and speed. (I believe it was one of the very first factory bikes to turn 10's in the quarter mile).

But the riding position was just as I described. A real back breaker on ANY type of long trip. I ended up selling it to a co worker, who sold it in a year for the same reason. Beautiful to look at, and ride long enough to warm it up. Then park it. Usually the bikes that look the coolest, (or look cool on), are not the one's you want to ride the longest. Believe me, you're not the first rider to buy into this painful, and costly experience.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
I suggest talking to your dealer right away - not real likely but they may have a solution. Also, not to disparage this forum but i would ask for suggestions on advrider or some other motorcycle forum. You will reach a much larger cross section of motorcycle riders.

Ok. I'll take ask at those places also. Thank you.

A simple seat change along with handlebar adjustment might solve everything.
It would seem to make sense the way you are seated is causing an existing issue that you have.

Going back to the dealer may help, on the outside chance that they may have had another customer with the same issue. Im not sure what options are available for seats on that bike, also handle bars but they may have some sugestions.

Anyway, to me, it seems certainly solvable with some determination but you have to work at it, its not going to happen on its own.
Search the internet for similar experiences, as well as seats from different manufacturers. Many riders of all brands of bikes work to make the bike fit them better.

(BTW, I think you know already, ignore the BS on the type of bike you bought and focus on making what you have right for you.)

Here is an example, bought a brand new 2014 Road King years back, same deal, I never road a Harley before, never rode the Road King before, bought the bike in the Smoky Mountains on a day where it was pouring rain outside, left my old bike behind, paid for and packed up the Road King with our luggage and my wife, literally pulled out of the dealership for the first time on a Harley in the pouring rain and rode home to SC.

The Road Kind was not a perfect fit compared to my last bike, A Yamaha VSTAR 1300, even though the Road King hands down was superior in every way, handling, acceleration, etc but by the time I got home I felt crunched up, lower back support sucked and my back was aching, stiff ride too. Well, first I tried two different Harley seats, one was a keeper but still not satisfied, then onto another brand, much better, used that one for a few years and in the last year or so I actually found the ultimate seat ever and at a lower cost.
Never looked back, this bike is hands down the best bike ever, you just have to adjust to what you have and work on making it right for you.

Last edited:
I highly doubt the Dealer will take the bike back under any circumstances UNLESS they're making a profit for a 2nd time from you. I assume they'll first try ergonomic upgrades i.e. seat, foot pegs, handlebars etc. to find a possible comfort zone for you. Possibly even try putting you on another model of bike. Your not in a good situation currently. Health wise, you may try to get a second opinion if you have hip problems. If you do it's very unlikely it will change anything. I'm 60 and have had two total knee replacements and still ride large HD touring motorcycles. Was a little uncomfortable at first after surgery, but after therapy and stretching I was back in saddle on my old Road King & current Ultra Limited within 6-8 weeks. Took it slow then off to Sturgis within 6 months for 2 weeks in the saddle. Give it time then see your local physician if need be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kurtatron
The bottom line is: can the pain be resolved?

I'd say yes. Quite often we adjust to our toys over time. You may want to try some stretching and bending exercises.

I'm a dirt bike guy, so I don't find cruisers comfortable. I prefer to sit up straight and tall, with legs on pegs far below. When I purchase street bikes, I tend to avoid Corbin seats that sit really low and wide. Instead, I go for narrow seats that have taller foam in the middle. Just fits me better.

I find something like this really comfy, because that's what I'm used to:

[Linked Image from mcn-images.bauersecure.com]

Last edited:
Correct me if am am wrong, but since Harley closed the KC plant, I think all street 750 are imported from India.

If your sales man told you otherwise, you may have an avenue to return it.

Prepare to be shocked on resale value.

Rod

I think I figured out what the problem is.
I started trying different positions just in an office chair. I immediately feel strain in my groin area as I lean forward. With my legs spread out just like the wide gas tank, my legs feel pain as I lean forward. I think if I get reduced reach handle bars, it may resolve the problem.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Correct me if am am wrong, but since Harley closed the KC plant, I think all street 750 are imported from India.

If your sales man told you otherwise, you may have an avenue to return it.

Prepare to be shocked on resale value.

Rod

My VIN number has a 1 in the front, meaning it was assembled in the US.

The only person that knows what is comfortable for you, is you. I know that I have never been comfortable on Cruisers for any length of time. Sportbikes on the other hand are no problem. Other people are the exact opposite.

Could it be made comfortable for you? Maybe. The only way to know is to try. Good luck.

If I may make a suggestion, look for a custom auto upholstery shop that can rework your seat. A good shop can shave the foam down , or add some where it feels the best to you. My friend had it done and it was very reasonable and only took them a little over an hour to do.,,,

For your stature you seem to have bought the perfect bike. It most likely needs a few tweaks, seat, pegs, risers maybe. Harley dealers have demo seats you can try out. This guy " It's a good day to ride.com" is very good at customizing your seat to fit. He's in Florida if I remember correctly. He can add or take away foam or add gel and still use your original cover. Don't give up on your new bike just yet because most bikes need some tweaking to get just right. I have 3 seats, 2 Harley and one LaPera for my Superglide that I switch around occasionally, but only one that is perfect that I use most often.

I'd keep riding it off and on for awhile to see if the pain goes away. Take a few days off btwn rides. Ride a short distance gradually increasing in length.

My knees get sore after doing stairs for exercise. Then I back off and gradually get back to it. Now I'm fine going an hour on the stairs.

Originally Posted by gman2304
For your stature you seem to have bought the perfect bike. It most likely needs a few tweaks, seat, pegs, risers maybe. Harley dealers have demo seats you can try out. This guy " It's a good day to ride.com" is very good at customizing your seat to fit. He's in Florida if I remember correctly. He can add or take away foam or add gel and still use your original cover. Don't give up on your new bike just yet because most bikes need some tweaking to get just right. I have 3 seats, 2 Harley and one LaPera for my Superglide that I switch around occasionally, but only one that is perfect that I use most often.

I really hope so. The more I ride this bike, the more I like it. The engine looks of a cruiser, but it's tuned more like a sport bike. Thats exactly what I want. This is probably the only Harley I could fall in love with, but this comfort issue needs to be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back