Gas in a Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I had a new hire "truck driver" fill up one of my company's 2019 F-450s with gas and drive it about 200 miles until it wouldn't run anymore. The mechanic is in the process of removing and inspecting the fuel system. I was told it will probably be $10k+ In repairs.

He was terminated for other reasons before we got the diagnosis from the dealership. You'd think someone would be on their best behavior during the first week of a new job but there were a multitude of basic truck driver tasks he couldn't do.

Last edited:
It's expensive on the new trucks. I wonder if that's an insurance claim when that happens. $3500 for an injection pump, anywhere from $600-$900 for each injector. I know the 6.7 cummins the dealer wanted $900 a piece for injectors, not sure if they are still that high though.

The complete high side system is about 5000$ parts alone. Of course I would replace the low pressure pump and completely flush the system including the fuel tank.

Last edited:
Yeah - [censored] suck - no idea of the final price of one - they seem to outdo eachother..

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Yeah - [censored] suck - no idea of the final price of one - they seem to outdo eachother..

Why is there a sudden rash of people who can't seem to control their language tonight?

Here is a tip. After you post, look back at how it appears. If a word you used appears as [censored] then it should be changed.

Dangit that's expensive. At what point does running a gas engine equal the cost of running diesel with all the extra expenses? For a F-250 I don't think it ever would unless hauling really heavy loads. FWIW I rented a F-450 U-haul gas V-10 and it got 8 mpg loaded, 10 empty. Anyways, sorry for your loss of money for hiring this guy. He should have known better.

Ya, you know its common when Ford has a kit for when people do that. I have a customer we fixed his screwup twice, one was for putting gas in the truck and another was for putting DEF in the diesel.

I actually had it out with an insurance adjuster once over the kit from Ford. He wanted the price of each part individually which I did, then he would only authorize that versus the kit. The kit was cheaper, I told him he was why I refused to use his insurance company for anything.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Anyways, sorry for your loss of money for hiring this guy. He should have known better.

Meh, that's the price companies have to pay for new recruits.
This is the exact reason why it's more important and beneficial to retain good, quality employees rather than constantly hire new ones.

Nothing new to discover here folks.
Simply screen, train and compensate your staff better when hired and you can eliminate (or at least reduce) these costs from occurring.
coffee2.gif

The old mechanical diesels might live through this this. If they didn't the cost was 8 injectors @35 each and a $500 pump plus a few hours labor. Nothing like today's oil pressure fed injection systems. They definitely don't like gas in diesel.

The 6.7L is Common Rail, HEUI hasn't been used in a light duty diesel engine since the Navistar 6.0L Powerstroke.

Funny thing is.....The 6.0L PS & it's issues pale in comparison (moneywise) to the Navistar 6.4L & the Ford 6.7L, But history will still consider the 6.0L as the worst???

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tundraotto

Why is there a sudden rash of people who can't seem to control their language tonight?

Here is a tip. After you post, look back at how it appears. If a word you used appears as [censored] then it should be changed.

Isn't that why there is a filter? So these people won't damage their virgin eyes?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The 6.7L is Common Rail, HEUI hasn't been used in a light duty diesel engine since the Navistar 6.0L Powerstroke.

Funny thing is.....The 6.0L PS & it's issues pale in comparison (moneywise) to the Navistar 6.4L & the Ford 6.7L, But history will still consider the 6.0L as the worst???

I actually prefer the 6.0 out of them all. I would keep my truck forever but the rust is catching up to the truck. It will eventually be it's demise. More than likely I'll end up with a 6.7. There biggest issue has been the fuel system and the early generation turbos. Other than that they're great engines.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Dangit that's expensive. At what point does running a gas engine equal the cost of running diesel with all the extra expenses? For a F-250 I don't think it ever would unless hauling really heavy loads.

Anyone handy with an Excel Spreadsheet can come up with an answer pretty fast.

I swapped a Cummins 4BT3.9L into my '79 F250 - and for what it cost to do,
I still haven't made back the cost of the swap yet! - and that was 13 years ago.

It would've been cheaper (over the last 13 years) to leave the 400M in there.

Originally Posted by tom slick
Last week I had a new hire "truck driver" fill up one of my company's 2019 F-450s with gas and drive it about 200 miles until it wouldn't run anymore. The mechanic is in the process of removing and inspecting the fuel system. I was told it will probably be $10k+ In repairs.

He was terminated for other reasons before we got the diagnosis from the dealership. You'd think someone would be on their best behavior during the first week of a new job but there were a multitude of basic truck driver tasks he couldn't do.

Sounds like both of you mess up .

There was a fatal plane crash in my area where the fueler put jet fuel in a piston engine plane, it ran well just long enough to take off and get some altitude, then lost both engines. Aircraft fuel nozzle systems are designed to prevent this but obviously it's possible to overcome the nozzle mismatch. Of course this crash got a lot of publicity but I wonder how often mis-fueling occurs in ground vehicles, especially gasoline into diesel where the nozzle fits with no intererence.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by tom slick

Sounds like both of you mess up .

We are growing the part of our business that requires a commercial license. Truck drivers are in slim pickings in central California so it's hard to find them. This is the second driver in 6 months that couldn't handle basic truck driving tasks.

You would think that in 100 years of automotive history, we would have come up with a nozzle standard to prevent mistakes like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back