2.0 ecoboost hard on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 1,000 miles on this oil change and it's very dark. QSUD 5w30. I know oil color doesn't always mean the oil is bad, but I've never owned a gasoline car in 20 years that turned black that fast. Previous fills were not synthetic, maybe some of it is cleaning? Thinking about shortening intervals to 4,000 miles.

The oil in my Escape gets pretty dark. I do 5,000 mile oil changes. The QSUD 5W30 is a good choice. It's on the thicker end of the 5W30 scale. Mobil 1 original, Havoline Pro DS and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend are good choices as well.

In "Talking Cars With Consumer Reports" episode #226(youtube), a reader asked a question in regards to the FORD Ecoboost 4 & 6 cymbal engines in regards to their reliability. Their answer was very positive.

Ford Ecoboosts don't require much from their oils. Semi syns are all Ford asks, at least in my 2.7. They fuel dilute so if anything 5,000 mile oil changes could be done.

Ecoboost engines are very reliable. But to achieve that reliability, proper maintenance is absolutely essential. My 3.5EB can't even make 5K miles without contaminating the oil.

There are scores of EB engines with early timing chain failures. That's due to wear causing particulates, coupled with thin oils diluted even thinner with fuel.

Change every 5K. My suggestion is to simply change at 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000 and so on. Makes it easy to get a great result.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
In "Talking Cars With Consumer Reports" episode #226(youtube), a reader asked a question in regards to the FORD Ecoboost 4 & 6 cymbal engines in regards to their reliability. Their answer was very positive.

Would 8 cymbals be more, uh, musical?

Originally Posted by donnyj08
T-GDI engines are hard on the oil. I subscribe to 5k max OCI philosophy with synthetic oils in modern T-GDI engines because of fuel dilution

I agree.

I went with non-rc oils for the last two OCI and they stayed in grade instead of the rc oils that sheared quite a lot.

I would recommend Mobil ESP 5w-30 or Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30. Both are rated SN and very shear stable. My two best UOAs were with these oils.

I'm slightly in a different camp, I don't think you have to change before 10k if you do a lot of hwy and 7.5 k if you are more mixed.

I had a 3.5 with 120k, I have a 3.5 with 110k and a 2.3 with 70k and they all follow that regimen and are reliable with no startup noise.

I don't worry about dilution unless it's over 5% constantly, but I do UOA. If no UOA do 7.5k hwy, 5k mixed if it makes you feel better.
27.gif

Use good oil, the recommendations above are great.

it seems the previously touted ecoboost family of engines are having carbon issues as well as chain wear + for those using the long drain as factory recommended, as ford quietly adds port injection to several applications!!!! their are no issues that we are owning up to!!

What carbon issues? Own 2 of the 1st gens, one at 138k and no carbon issues (although the chains do rattle on startup if it sits for a while), and the other @ 100k with no issues of either chains or carbons. The first uses the factory 7500 mile interval and the other uses the 5k/6mo interval whichever is longer (ie: 6mo/8k or 5mo/4k).

Early ones did stretch the chains and there really was/is no rhyme or reason why. Theories ranged from casting gunk clogging up the variable timing units to poor chains to poor oil. Parts have been revised and I think it's history since 13 or so.

Port injection has been more for fuel economy than anything else - it has improved the FE of the 2.7 and 3.5.

Love both of them - have been reliable and powerful. I only wish Ford went bigger as my next truck will be a 350 and I don't want to go Diesel but will probably have to due to towing needs (upgraded camper).

Last edited:
T-GDI engines are hard on the oil. I subscribe to 5k max OCI philosophy with synthetic oils in modern T-GDI engines because of fuel dilution

^^This!

Originally Posted by itguy08
What carbon issues? Own 2 of the 1st gens, one at 138k and no carbon issues (although the chains do rattle on startup if it sits for a while), and the other @ 100k with no issues of either chains or carbons. The first uses the factory 7500 mile interval and the other uses the 5k/6mo interval whichever is longer (ie: 6mo/8k or 5mo/4k).

Early ones did stretch the chains and there really was/is no rhyme or reason why. Theories ranged from casting gunk clogging up the variable timing units to poor chains to poor oil. Parts have been revised and I think it's history since 13 or so.

Port injection has been more for fuel economy than anything else - it has improved the FE of the 2.7 and 3.5.

Love both of them - have been reliable and powerful. I only wish Ford went bigger as my next truck will be a 350 and I don't want to go Diesel but will probably have to due to towing needs (upgraded camper).

I believe they only put one tensioner and guide on that chain and it caused too much slack on the other side for such a long chain. I believe they have since added a tensioner to the other side? Not sure but I think I heard that.

Originally Posted by benjy
it seems the previously touted ecoboost family of engines are having carbon issues as well as chain wear + for those using the long drain as factory recommended, as ford quietly adds port injection to several applications!!!! their are no issues that we are owning up to!!

Reducing exhaust particulates are the reason dual injection

Originally Posted by benjy

I literally have almost 80k miles on our 2017 2.0 ecoboost and I'm running 15-17k mile intervals, I have zero issues from the machine.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Here is the CR video. Check out the audio/video question from a subscriber at 12:00 minutes into the video and CRs responses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEQIx2U_faA

I don't think ecoboost engines aren't as hard on oil as Honda 1.5LT engines. Our 1.5LT had 1.5 qrts of fuel during a 6K oil.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I don't think ecoboost engines aren't as hard on oil as Honda 1.5LT engines. Our 1.5LT had 1.5 qrts of fuel during a 6K oil.

Isn't that something like better than 20% fuel dilution? You don't have an old UOA to show us that?

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

^^This!

I agree, although I would invest in a UOA just to see how well the oil did or didn't do for my user pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back