electric cars

I see we are worried about the wrong border. Don't let the Canadians in. They can see the emperor has no clothes!

Nothing to see here, move along.

On the Model3 folks don't get the promised 300+ MPC (miles per charge).
Over a 12-15 yr period there would be a 10-15% drop in the cell efficiency - all that gets counted towards cost of ownership.
The MPC is much like the MPG duplicity that is on stickers when we buy ICE - they rarely get EPA #s.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I see we are worried about the wrong border. Don't let the Canadians in. They can see the emperor has no clothes!

Nothing to see here, move along.

Well, I can't say how things play out for the rest of Canada, but in Ontario they had the same scheme going on, but on steroids. The changes happened very quickly as did the rate hikes, which made people take notice. Before Ontario, Australia run the same experiment with pretty much the same result.
California experiment is more gradual, but the outcome will be the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Yea but the government doesn't have to make a profit like the power companies do.

What type of operation do you think is more efficient and provides its products at a cheaper rate. Government projects that use employees that only be fired for gross negligence and have politics as their guiding light. Or a for profit entity that can fire incompetent workers, has far less political influence on its operations and a motive (ie profit) as an incentive to do things efficiently.

The public and private worlds are very different. When you mix the management style of these two, the end is a disaster. There are spheres where private will not touch but public will because it's for the good of the community or society.

But public services generally are more efficient where both exist. You can look at healthcare where you have both worlds. The DOD and VA run hospitals are more efficient than private hospitals. Medicare is more efficient than commercial insurance. Primarily because you do not have that slice of revenues designated for profits.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
For what it's worth you can get a 2016 Mirai for $5000 off the auction block

Yea sure. Show me where. Even wrecked ones bring more than that: https://www.copart.com/lot/48109809

https://www.copart.com/lot/54420709

Let me know if it meets the reserve this time

Several months ago there were over a dozen "normal wear" Mirais that went through Copart and other auctions
based on how much they were bid to just before auction end
I can't imagine they sold for more than 4 digits, it does appear I can't see finished auctions though.

Of note is used Mirai values recently seem to be going up despite the hydrogen fuel supply crisis ,
sometimes can't explain human behavior,
maybe the publicity of the crisis is free advertising for Toyota?
Doesn't make much sense

Yep the 2017 Mirais are down to $3000 a pop

I might need to source one as cheap sheet metal for a motor swap
3ADD11E3-2887-411A-BD43-EEAF7903EDE4.png

Originally Posted by Cujet
Short of some miraculous and unknown new battery technology, the EV will not replicate the capability of fuel powered vehicles. Example: A Nissan Altima can achieve 600 miles of highway range at 85MPH. The best $120,000 EV can do about 240 miles at that speed.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Easy math, EVs are cheap in the long run if they are managed properly.

That's only because the cost of residential and commercial electricity is cheap in many locations. When it comes to actual energy BTU's consumed per mile, EV's are at best, 29% efficient. A full 20% less efficient than the 36% efficient Prius.

In locations where electricity is expensive, it's cheaper per mile, to drive a "dual fuel" (gas and electric) Chevy Volt on gas. 11c per mile on electric and 5c per mile on gas.

Cujet, EV charging cost is very low if you have solar panels.
Isn't it true that areas that have high electricity rates also have high gasoline costs?
Some good news, I gassed up the thirsty GS at Costco for $3.89 per gallon! That's 50 cents less that last fill up.
Do you use your solar panels to charge your EV overnight?

Do you use your solar panels to charge your EV overnight?
Yes. I decided to get the solar panels in 2017 and got them installed in early 2018. I am very happy with them. I thought I might buy an EV one day, but had no plans to do so at that time.
The $7,500 Federal tax credit ended Dec 31, 2018 and was halved for 2019. We decided to look at a Model 3 in early Dec, just for fun. There is a service center near our home. Sue test drove it and that was that. The Model 3 was delivered mid December 2018 I think.

Our car pulls 32A max. I had an electrician install a 60A breaker, 60' for of #6 wire and a Nema 14-50 plug for $600 including tip.
At 32A it charges at about 28 MPH. This is an excellent charging solution. Pull in the garage and plug in. So dang easy and you start every day with a full tank.

The Tesla will help to achieve the break even point of the solar panel cost, maybe 5 more years. Then free electricity! All good.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
And the whole power lines causing fires issue could have been prevented if they put the lines underground.

Much of he PGE infrastructure is 60 yo 70 years old. Outdated, poorly maintained.
The heavily wooded areas are worse due to strong rain last winter and lot of sun this year fostering growth.
Trimming and clearing goes on constantly but is expensive and dangerous.
The area covered by PGE is more than 70,000 square miles.

Recipe for disaster. Currently, the Kincade fire is 10% contained.
The winds are not in our favor; 80 to 90 mph gusts.
180K people evacuated in Sonoma County.
99% of Marin is without electricity. FYI, this is where the really rich people live.
Over 940K people without power.

Since the beginning of time California has had Santa Ana winds and fires. The distribution of electricity has been in place for several decades. Why all of a sudden is this a problem that has to be solved by cutting power off? It sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me.

The better answer is to clean the forests of debris which accumulated due to environmental regulations.

Please read what I posted. Clearing goes on all the time. Is there enough? Of course not.
The problem is in the old, neglected infrastructure.
Then we have a decent rain followed by warm summer and the wooded areas grow.
Trimming cannot keep up.

The high winds can carry an ember almost a mile.
PGE is negligent.

"Pacific Gas & Electric, California's biggest utility, says a broken jumper wire was found on a transmission tower near where the raging Kincade Fire broke out two days ago in northern California."
That debris is the result of the 2013-2015 severe drought, which left a lot of dead tress, shrubbery, undergrowth, etc that became a huge fuel supply for todays disaster. What "environmental regulations" caused an accumulation of this debris? Looks to me as if it was money issue more than regs. Nature is just doing the job for irresponsible or lazy ppl. Blame gobment regs for everything. Easy to do

Our car pulls 32A max. I had an electrician install a 60A breaker, 60' for of #6 wire and a Nema 14-50 plug for $600 including tip.

Wow is only pulls 32Ax220v=7KW and for a 50KwH battery that is less than 8hrs. Very impressive, why do they detail a 60A breaker?

All these people pumping electric don't want to comment on their affordability. Show me an electric car that can replace a Corolla or Civic in cost per mile.

Right now electric is a luxury replacement that smug people can feel good about.

Oil isn't going away any time soon, especially at their current prices.

All these people pumping electric don't want to comment on their affordability. Show me an electric car that can replace a Corolla or Civic in cost per mile.

Right now electric is a luxury replacement that smug people can feel good about.

According to KBB, the average new car price for 2019 was $38,948... not that many people buying those cheap Corolla’s or Civic’s. You can pick up a base Model 3 for $38,000, which yes is still $10,000 more than a top spec Corolla, but let’s be real, I highly doubt anyone is cross shopping those vehicles to EV’s. Plug it in every day when I get home from work and never have to stop at another gas station on my way to/from work sounds good to me

You are dead wrong - oil as diesel is being attacked left right and middle. What is gasoline, no chance, I see a clear roadmap for oil ending.
Historically folks who took a long time to realize change were flushed into the toilets - that goes to say single occupant Rams. Silverado, Urban, Tahoes etc. have a clear roadmap to the graveyard. Diesel will stay, gasoline in another 20 yrs will be much much less.

I have a plug in and another vehicle. I drive on electric virtually 100% of the time, rarely using even half the capacity of the battery. I charge for free always at public and private charging stations. I still haven't had to buy any gas this year and started with a 1/4 tank in Jan.
That said I find myself looking at "normal" cars on the internet all the time. One thing about evs and I have said it before if you want to be warm in winter in your car like you are used to, you are going to drain a lot of battery. They are coming out with heat pump heating which will be more efficient but still you are heating a large metal can in winter off a battery. I probably will go hybrid , or all gas on the next car. Everyone I know just gets in and goes where they want how they want, no thinking about or watching the battery. An ev as part of a gas/ev car stable probably works better.

Last edited:

My first BEV many years ago was $500

My brand new Volt after tax credit was $17,500 tax title and license

My only “repairs“ on the volt In the last 100000 Have been tires, oil changes every 2 years and recently I spent $12.50 to flush some coolant reservoirs.

My extension cord is worn and will need replacement soon.

Electricity is free most of the time and if not it’s still half the price of gas.

Sadly this state taxes the living $%|¥ out of anything that plugs in. Many folks with older plug ins and hybrids have disposed of their cars because the tax eliminates any savings you might have.

And I agree with you, gas will be around a long time especially with the BEV fines in place.

I can comment on affordability - see E-Golf in my sig. Picked it up for $12.5k as a CPO so comes with a 2 year/24k warranty w/$50 deductible, battery is covered for another 5 years and ~40k miles. $12.5k for a BEV with cloth seats is TOTAL LUXURY for smug people right?

Maintenance: Except for an annual visual inspection and tire rotation that runs ~$60 per the post cards I get from the local dealership, there are cabin filters every 2 years, tires when they wear out, wipers and thats really about it. I doubt I will have to address the brakes anytime soon as most of the braking duty is handled by regeneration, I have to make a point to do some high speed aggressive stops off the highway to clean off the friction brakes because they are used so infrequently. It appears prior owner on 3 year lease did not even take it in for the inspections - based on Carfax they brought it in 2x over 3/59k miles to replace key fob batteries - basically zero maintenance. Whether they rotated the tires or not I have no idea.

Economy/fuel cost: Don't paint everyones drive/commute with the same brush. My commute is not friendly to any gas or diesel (3 miles, ~18-20 stoplights, 35-40 MPH speed limits, pre-pandemic that 3 miles could take 45-1 hour to complete in the afternoon). Even rental Camry and Altima I had were sub 20 MPG average after I slugged them out on my commute for ~1 week - these cars are rated at 29+ MPG city and I was seeing ~10 MPG less than that. My '12 VW TDI would usually average about 21-22 MPG on same commute (vs 29 city rating), my departed MB E350 4Matic would hover around 11-12 MPG (vs 17), my MB C300 would hover around 13-14 MPG (vs 18). EPA city MPG doesn't mean crap when you are creeping stoplight to stoplight with a few times actually hitting the speed limit.

I'm at about .056/mile for electric cost on my E-Golf for the past 6 months, this is very slightly inflated as I have a few DC charging sessions mixed in and I can get distracted and not stop the charging station at work once my car is full so I'm paying to just be plugged in. Based on 19 MPG I had in the Camry over a week I would have been at about .099/mile, lets say the Corolla does 2 MPG better in my commute I would still be at .090/mile based on current regular unleaded prices in my area ($1.89).

The E-Golf is very well suited for my commute and is our exclusive in town car, the TDI is for when we need to venture beyond the E-Golf range which are drives better suited to the TDI.

So no - electric cars are not "luxury replacement that smug people can feel good about.". They are a tool that will fit certain lifestyles, no they will not fit every scenario just like my departed TDI did not fit in with my commute.

Oil won’t go away anywhere near our lifetimes. Imagine what it will take to completely rebuild the world’s infrastructure.

On ev’s,there was a Ford hybrid who’s replacement battery was north of $8000.

Back