Small engine fitlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy how much these oil filter companies are charging for small engine filters! I cant imagine they're any different than a standard automotive oil filter. I know about cross referencing filters, but that's not the point. Rant over

Originally Posted by Bettez88
It's crazy how much these oil filter companies are charging for small engine filters! I cant imagine they're any different than a standard automotive oil filter. I know about cross referencing filters, but that's not the point. Rant over

Much smaller production runs causing higher costs per filter versus automotive oil filters with much larger production runs.

Whimsey

... I cant imagine they're any different than a standard automotive oil filter. ..r

They aren't in terms of real capability, capacity, etc.
They just cost more, as you're keenly aware, because it's a captive audience.
Use a formally approved Xref and save some $$$.

Originally Posted by Whimsey

Much smaller production runs causing higher costs per filter versus automotive oil filters with much larger production runs.

Whimsey

Yep .

The only affordable filter that crosses the smaller Kohler oil filter 1205001s is the stp s3512 for $5

not sure if there is any truth to this but I once heard that mower filter media is less restrictive than a standard oil filter , maybe due to the mower oil pump not pumping as much pressure as say a car...why it would cost more ? go figure...but I agree mower filters cost way to much for what they are

Use a Fram 3614 or equivalent, or if you have room, a 3600.

I usually pay $1 to $2 for a filter at Rock Auto...

If it's a Kohler or Briggs, PH3614/51348/FL910S. For Honda stuff, any 6607/7317 or 3593A if you have the space.

Most lawn mowers don't even have an oil filter
crazy2.gif

since most people seldom even change the oil in their mower, the annual volume is quite low compared to cars.. This makes the cost rather high.

This was why years ago we sold a lot of 2T lawnboys and toro's. I am still using a lawn boy from 79.

Check out the Ecogard SE-1. It fits lots of OPE engines. They're cheap on Amazon. I paid $4.60 each. They're $6.00 now.

Thanks to Rand and the huge cross reference for the STP S3512, my new to me sit down may get a new filter. Liking the after mkt parts availability. for the Kohler CV491 in general.
grin2.gif

Toyota filters are this size and work well. Toyota engines are really just reworked lawn mower engines "I heard."
grin2.gif

Simple answer to the cost is - BECAUSE THEY CAN....90% of people who actually Do even change the oil - don't really get that into it, and just bite the bullet and pay retail for the OEM puck.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Simple answer to the cost is - BECAUSE THEY CAN....90% of people who actually Do even change the oil - don't really get that into it, and just bite the bullet and pay retail for the OEM puck.

This.

It's also 100% marketing, that the small engine filters are somehow better for the engines. Even on the box of a Briggs oil filter it says something like "specifically designed for small engines". I've cut open lots of these and they aren't any better than the automotive filters. In most cases the automotive filters (like a Wix or Fram) are constructed much better for a lower price. I've actually been avoiding the Briggs filters recently, as I've had a few machines that came in for me to work on and they had Briggs filters that were tight but still leaking at the gasket.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Toyota filters are this size and work well. Toyota engines are really just reworked lawn mower engines "I heard."
grin2.gif

Well, a Briggs motor and a Harley engine aren't too far detached from each other. A friend who went to UW-Madison told me a story about a revolving door between the school of engineering and Briggs/Harley.

I just cross reference to automotive filters for this reason. The Kubota filter for my tractor is $20, the Fram Ultra equivalent is $9 so I go with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back