Preventing frozen door locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My door locks freeze up on my Silverado all the time during the winter. I've heard not to use wd40 because it attracts dust in the lock cylinder. What is a good recommendaton? Silicone or graphite spray? This is the only vehicle I've had this issue with.

When I lived in an area with cold winters I had a small container of lock de-icer spray.

If a lock needs lubrication (which doesn't happen very often) I use graphite. It often seems I don't get enough graphite in by "puffing" it in. So I puff some onto the key and insert it.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-11016-Aerosols-Dri-Film/dp/B000RFRM4U/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2TZR8SCA7XHG4&keywords=super+lube+drifilm+lubricant&qid=1572203974&sprefix=super+lube+dry+f%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-4

All my lock cylinders have cover plates (built-in the key hole, not those hinged wing plates like GM/etc used to have on trunks), and all my keys are relatively clean, so I've never had an issue with a wet lube attracting dust, but I don't drive off-road in the desert.

However, WD40 is not a lubricant. It is fine to soften up a mechanism with many years old hardened grease, or flush out wear particles to get it moving better, but then it benefits from a light oil lube. This protects better against corrosion and wear than a dry lube, but once you have it flushed out, you could use a dry lube instead.

Last edited:
You might want to pull the cylinder out and lube the contact points where it rotates. I've never had a frozen lock in the winter but I've had a car where those surfaces corrode and cause a lot of friction.

GM trucks man, my passenger door latch is stuck closed and my driver's side door is missing it's lock cylinder completely.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
My door locks freeze up on my Silverado all the time during the winter.....................What is a good recommendaton?

Move South where it doesn't freeze.

Lock-ease graphite.

Also check your window seals on the door top panel/window squeege; if this is so out-of-line in freezing, maybe they are leaking and letting water accumulate in there.

I use this from Lowes. Protexall Products 11-oz Metal Cleaning Lubricant Does not attract dust or dirt, Lifts rust, dirt, grime and grease, Works to -60°F, ...
I tried and dam, this thing is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back