Dealer oil fill 5W-30 - UOA from engine (G4KJ) Kia Sorento '18

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from oil-club.ru]

It is completely unclear what kind of motor oil from the barrel is used at the Rick Case Duluth Service Center?

Silicone uptick too, check the engine air filter, could be loose and letting in contaminants, although I'd expect to see much more if that was the case. Overall still looks good.

Sodium and potassium is slightly higher. Can be indicative of a coolant leak, although, these numbers are pretty small.

It is a new engine, What is the reason for the 3 uoas? Tracking the new engine break in crud isn't really helpful. Although the p is interesting if it means anything.

The wear figures jumped almost three times compared to the previous oil and twice as much as the factory oil.
I think they can use some kind of filters to clean the used oil and add some kind of conditioner to refresh the resulting oil mixture - otherwise I can't explain such an additive package, judging by the running out of TBN.

The last batch of 5w-30 looked like some kind of Euro-spec'd oil or possibly, some kind of additive was used. Anyhow, the copper looks suspicious. It should be dropping right about now. I know some of the Kia Theta engines were having rod/bearing problems. Copper usually comes from oil coolers, timing gear assemblies or rod bearings. Are you sure they changed the filter?

Just out of curiosity, what oil replaced this last dealer fill?

Something seems unusual here. I'd take the report to the dealer and see what they say.

This oil is odd for a 5w30

High calcium and low magnesium. Probably not SN+

High Zinc and Phos, almost HDEO high.

Iron and Cooper seem high compared to your earlier samples.

My advice Is try another service center where you know what you are getting. Try a Valvoline Instant Oil change center maybe?

Originally Posted by Merovingian
The wear figures jumped almost three times compared to the previous oil and twice as much as the factory oil.
I think they can use some kind of filters to clean the used oil and add some kind of conditioner to refresh the resulting oil mixture - otherwise I can't explain such an additive package, judging by the running out of TBN.

Look at the miles on the oil change interval. I would guess the oil is some kind of a fleet oil.

Originally Posted by csandste
The dealer uses obsolete oil and doesn't know what kind they use? Don't go back.

Dealerships are putting crap like this in their own cars and yet the paranoid amongst us are convinced if you put a very high-quality 5W-30 in a car spec'd for 0W-20 it will blow up and the manufacture will deny warranty.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Use 10w-40 for this GDI

Not approved in USA, I would not do so while under factory warranty. 10w-30 is mentioned in the manual as being OK above 0F, that is what I use in my Hyundai GDI motor.

At first I thought maybe they simply didn't change the oil, but the increases in some additives got rid of that thought. Unless they simply poured in some additives.

Agree 100%, that dealer oil isn't doing you any favors. Either that, or the engine's on its way out.

I'd go back to the same M1 and see if the levels drop back to where they were.

Kinda strange results, for all the reasons already mentioned.
Only explanation I can think of for the high zddp is some settling of additives in their tank that got into this feed.
This is possibly one of the reasons why it is better to DIY.

OP do you do your own Oil Changes? If you do I would pick a reputable brand 5w30 and see what changes.

If you prefer to have the oil changed at a service center I would recommend going to a VIOC center. It will be more expensive but you will know what you're getting.

Let us know how things are trending.

Dirty bulk tank that maybe gets different cheap oils pumped in at different fills, one may have been some HDEO. Or additives 'settle out' in the tank over time, and then get stirred up when oil is pumped in or out.

Yes, in the service bill for the work performed it was written that: Changed the oil in the motor, changed the oil filter and changed the drain plug.
Now is poured Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 oil into the engine, then we'll look at UOA - let's compare dealer mineral motor oil with real PAO synthetics oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back