General Altimax RT43 price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set for the Honda several years ago and were cheap. Now, they're $30-35 more per tire. Other brands haven't jumped that radical. So, what happened? Popularity?

Back to Yokos.

Very well could be. Anecdotally, I do see a lot of folks running them, and I see a lot of people recommending them online. I was satisfied with the set I had before I totaled that car.

They do seem to be somewhat of a "sleeper" tire; maybe the price is catching up to the reputation.

I just bought some 18" RT43s (4) for $122.00 each.

Could of maybe done a little better online-but due to circumstances I needed them right away.

So for kicks and giggles thought I do a price comparison of the RT43s I'm currently running 215/50-17 (V rated). I checked many sites including Simple Tire, Tires Easy, WM, DT, DTD, all have them ~$119 each. I've had them several years now, but that's about inline with what I paid. In that instance I too needed them quickly so couldn't wait for DT/DTD promo time. Also on Simple Tire compared them to other brands I might be interested in, Pirrelli, GY, Yoko and Cooper. RT43 less than Cooper CS5, and Yoko Avid Ascend GT. Much less than GY I would consider equivalent. And less than Pirelli P4. So, doesn't seem out of line imo.

Now if one can wait for DT/DTD promo period and/or General rebate, obviously can do better.

Originally Posted by csandste
General Exclaim HPX.

Wally World only. Working well for me. Probably better price point than the RT43 although I bought them last year and haven't priced lately.

I always wondered how do they differ from RT43s. Does anybody have the first-hand experience with both of the tires?

I have been tracking 205/55-16 for a while and price is fixed at $96

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by csandste
General Exclaim HPX.

Wally World only. Working well for me. Probably better price point than the RT43 although I bought them last year and haven't priced lately.

I always wondered how do they differ from RT43s. Does anybody have the first-hand experience with both of the tires?

I have been tracking 205/55-16 for a while and price is fixed at $96

Email General and ask.

I once ordered a set of Walmart specific General that I suspect was identical compound wise as their generic tire of the same line, other than the trend compound. General's email reply confirmed this.

Last edited:
I remember around 2009 when general altimax tires were
Now they're 100-120
crazy2.gif

Maybe it is a supply issue? My first set of RT43's were made in Brazil. Second set first of the year three made in France and one in USA.

I believe I paid $159 each for some 245/45r20 RT43's with a V speed rating. So far I really like them... we'll see how they do in snow.

Last edited:
I noticed RT43's have graduated from Standard Touring to Grand Touring category on tirerack.com. It's an OK tire, but... PureContacts are better. Now that the price difference has narrowed, maybe more will pay notice to the true Grand Touring tires.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I noticed RT43's have graduated from Standard Touring to Grand Touring category on tirerack.com. It's an OK tire, but... PureContacts are better. Now that the price difference has narrowed, maybe more will pay notice to the true Grand Touring tires.

Tire Rack splits the RT43 by speed rating. The T-rated versions remain standard touring, while H- and V-rated versions of the RT43 are grand touring
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Conti's seem to have a bad habit of getting really noisy at about half-life.

Continental owns General. Whatever is in Rt43, it is compound that is recycled by Continental long time ago.

RT43 is in no way a grand touring tire regardless of speed rating and now they are only $10 apiece cheaper than Continental TruContact Tour H-rated, sized for two of my vehicles.

Not that I have a dog in this fight, all my tires are Michelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back