Inline spin on filter vs Magnefine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

Just wondering what your opinions are on installing a spin on filter base with a filter, compared to a Magnefine inline filter. Obviously the clear difference would be the price and the fact that the Magnefine filter has a magnet inside to catch ferrous material, whereas the spin on filters do not.

I'm wondering how effective putting a magnet on the outside of a spin on filter really would be, compared to the Magnefine which is actually inside.

I'm in Canada so the prices are quite high.

Magnefine ($37.50): https://www.amazon.ca/Magnefine-Mag...=magnefine&qid=1572223816&sr=8-1

Spin on filter base ($39.22): https://www.amazon.ca/Fram-HPK2-Spi...ilter+base&qid=1572223771&sr=8-1

For reference I have a 2008 Rav4 V6 with 200k on it. I just did a fluid drain/filter change on it. The engine bay is pretty tight on these cars so a remote filter installation might be difficult.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What filter performance of the spin-on filter are you looking at? From Magnefine's website, you can get their filtering performance numbers. I think I would want to pick the better filtering situation as long as flow rate (or better yet, differential pressure drop) is not adversely affected.

I've run the in-line Magnefine filters on several of my cars for many years and have been very pleased with them. I really like the new metal case version (using it now on my turbo Optima).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
What filter performance of the spin-on filter are you looking at? From Magnefine's website, you can get their filtering performance numbers. I think I would want to pick the better filtering situation as long as flow rate (or better yet, differential pressure drop) is not adversely affected.

I've run the in-line Magnefine filters on several of my cars for many years and have been very pleased with them. I really like the new metal case version (using it now on my turbo Optima).

Thanks! I had read a long winded thread about them on an Acura forum, including a list of problems with them, here it is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx...ine-magnetic-filter-803129/#post14260696

I believe that post was made back when they were plastic construction...not sure about the new metal ones.

I don't really have any performance requirements, honestly I don't know much about filtering (especially all the different part number types) compared to most people on this forum. This is the first car that I own with an automatic transmission. For now, it shifts smoothly and I don't seem to have any problems, although a weird shift pattern sometimes. The car will shift first to second at quite a low speed, and then not long after seems to go for another shift, where the RPM will drop very slightly, almost doesn't feel like a full shift. I've never had a Toyota before or an automatic so not sure if it's something normal with these cars or not.

Anyway, I'd just like to add something to catch more ferrous materials.

Last edited:
The same company makes a magnet kit that goes between the base and an XG16 Fram or ? - that's what I had on my GMC and it's way more of both things you are looking for.
With a drain plug - I could do filter and ATF pan volume in 20 minutes - clean and easy. (that magnet is probably good for 50k, built like a tank)

Whilst this is not the correct model - what they look like:

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-MagnaFilter-Magnetic-Adapter-Cummins/dp/B01LAN0ULY

I say go for the Magnefine. I have used several with no issues. When disassembled I never saw much of anything in the media section but the magnet was covered with a metallic paste. I think a spin on filter in anything but a heavy duty truck is overkill.

I wonder if some of the people who said the old design plastic cases leaked had unscrewed them before installing just to have a look. That should not be done.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The same company makes a magnet kit that goes between the base and an XG16 Fram or ? - that's what I had on my GMC and it's way more of both things you are looking for.
With a drain plug - I could do filter and ATF pan volume in 20 minutes - clean and easy. (that magnet is probably good for 50k, built like a tank)

Whilst this is not the correct model - what they look like:

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-MagnaFilter-Magnetic-Adapter-Cummins/dp/B01LAN0ULY

That's interesting!

Originally Posted by Donald
I say go for the Magnefine. I have used several with no issues. When disassembled I never saw much of anything in the media section but the magnet was covered with a metallic paste. I think a spin on filter in anything but a heavy duty truck is overkill.

I wonder if some of the people who said the old design plastic cases leaked had unscrewed them before installing just to have a look. That should not be done.

Thanks! I know what you mean, but there have been quite a few people who had problems with leaks on the older plastic ones, and they said they never opened them. I know someone else on the Rav4 forums who had 2 out of 3 so far leak at the seams, never opened. I guess they solved that problem with the metal seam welded body now. Also i guess from what i can see the bypass valve can be tested to make sure it's not stuck by using a screwdriver or something in the end of the filter and pushing on the bypass to make sure it works, right?

There's a video on YouTube showing a guy who cut open one of the new metal ones and the bypass is right inline with the barb fitting... Which i guess makes sense.

Last edited:
For now, it shifts smoothly and I don't seem to have any problems, although a weird shift pattern sometimes. The car will shift first to second at quite a low speed, and then not long after seems to go for another shift, where the RPM will drop very slightly, almost doesn't feel like a full shift. I've never had a Toyota before or an automatic so not sure if it's something normal with these cars or not.

The drop you are noticing is the torque converter locking up. It improves the efficiency of the transmission and can be felt most in the lower gears.

I have run a remote filter system in my 2009 F150 and a magnefine in my 2016 F150 (plastic can 1/2" one, no metal one available for 1/2" hose yet). Stick with the metal can magnefine and plumb it inline on a hose you have. Adding additional hoses and installing the filter mount is a lot of work and not necessary for your RAV. Another option, if you have a drain plug on the transmission pan, is to do a drain and fill annually. The transmission will outlive the rest of the car.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
For now, it shifts smoothly and I don't seem to have any problems, although a weird shift pattern sometimes. The car will shift first to second at quite a low speed, and then not long after seems to go for another shift, where the RPM will drop very slightly, almost doesn't feel like a full shift. I've never had a Toyota before or an automatic so not sure if it's something normal with these cars or not.

The drop you are noticing is the torque converter locking up. It improves the efficiency of the transmission and can be felt most in the lower gears.
you have. Adding additional hoses and installing the filter mount is a lot of work and not necessary for your RAV. Another option, if you have a drain plug on the transmission pan, is to do a drain and fill annually. The transmission will outlive the rest of the car.

I have run a remote filter system in my 2009 F150 and a magnefine in my 2016 F150 (plastic can 1/2" one, no metal one available for 1/2" hose yet). Stick with the metal can magnefine and plumb it inline on a hose

Some transmissions are filled for life and need no servicing is what they say. Lifetime is whatever they say too.

We have a Ford Contour and there is no way to change any filters without a total disassembly as in remove transmission from car. We have 80,000 miles on it and it still works fine, but of course how many do you see around any more, none, they all went to the junkyard.

Originally Posted by ElliottG
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

Thanks! I had read a long winded thread about them on an Acura forum, including a list of problems with them, here it is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx...ine-magnetic-filter-803129/#post14260696

I believe that post was made back when they were plastic construction...not sure about the new metal ones.

I don't really have any performance requirements, honestly I don't know much about filtering (especially all the different part number types) compared to most people on this forum. This is the first car that I own with an automatic transmission. For now, it shifts smoothly and I don't seem to have any problems, although a weird shift pattern sometimes. The car will shift first to second at quite a low speed, and then not long after seems to go for another shift, where the RPM will drop very slightly, almost doesn't feel like a full shift. I've never had a Toyota before or an automatic so not sure if it's something normal with these cars or not.

Anyway, I'd just like to add something to catch more ferrous materials.

I had the plastic ones bought directly from Magnefine with no issues over many years with various cars. As I understand it, a big part of the "leaking" issue was cheap Chinese knockoffs. That was why they went to the newer metal type. Again, only purchase these directly from Magnefine to be safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! tcp71 thanks for that tidbit... Glad to know there's nothing crazy wrong with my transmission.

I have just done a drain and fill as well as changed the filter in the pan and cleaned magnets about a week ago, no change in the transmission.

I purchased a Magnefine filter and will install it this weekend!

Last edited:
I've done both, spin on and a couple of magnefines. Both have been effective. I'm not sure how much more they add IF the trans has an internal filter (not screen). Over time, we had a volvo recover from 1-2 shift flare after installing a magnefine at 105,000 miles.

Yes I have had the plastic ones weep fluid but never "leak."

I liked the spin-on ease of replacement, but the whole thing tool a lot of room - and when only changing every couple of years, the magnefines were not any more of a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back