2018 crv.. 9k engine replacement

And now, for 2020, Honda dropped the 2.4, making the CR-V available only with the 1.5T
mad.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
And now, for 2020, Honda dropped the 2.4, making the CR-V available only with the 1.5T
mad.gif

I agree not a great decision especially if you consider durability and reliability into the equation. I think that is a HUGE mistake!

I think Soichiro Honda would be steaming mad if he could see what's been happening at Honda in the past decade or two. He'd never approve of losing the
attention to detail and durability factor. I'm surprised his family (if still involved in the company) haven't spoken out at least within the executive offices about this.

Last edited:
I think paoester's response is the best one. I wouldn't overthink the oil used too much since Honda will most likely instruct the dealership how to install and what fluids to use. Glad they did the right thing.

I have a question though... How is the tachometer addressed in cases like this?

Leave the mileage- rest of it has 8k on it. Engine is just a component. Not different than replacing a trans or a diff or even tires. (If that was your question!)

we've got a '15. I think it's the 2.4 with CVT? it's been a rock_solid motor with zero issues from the CVT.

I wouldn't worry too much about the original oil fill. drive it gently, avoid high revs for the first thousand miles or so. between 500-1000 try to manipulate the cvt to do a few low load, moderate rpm runs (such as engine braking or at least a highway cruise in sport mode or something where it artificially holds a raised rpm under cruise. Then enjoy it.

Or, just drive it. if it were my wife's, knowing how she drives (sanely, with some fast starts), I wouldn't even worry about it. I might change the first OC a little before th OLM's typical 7500-ish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
How is the tachometer addressed in cases like this?
They don't reset the odometer. The oil change interval monitor is reset though.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Leave the mileage- rest of it has 8k on it. Engine is just a component. Not different than replacing a trans or a diff or even tires. (If that was your question!)

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by wemay
How is the tachometer addressed in cases like this?
They don't reset the odometer. The oil change interval monitor is reset though.

Thanks. Learned something today.
cheers3.gif

Man that sucks. We got rid of our 18 CRV with the 1.5L of a 19 Pilot. At the 20K mark I did an oil change, 6K interval and measured 1.5 qrts of additional fuel in the oil.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Man that sucks. We got rid of our 18 CRV with the 1.5L of a 19 Pilot. At the 20K mark I did an oil change, 6K interval and measured 1.5 qrts of additional fuel in the oil.

I tried to talk the wife into a pilot for the more space but she liked the crv. Honestly I like it aswell. She gets 27/28mpg going back and forth to work. Lots of bumper to bumper traffic. Hwy we get 38/39. I do check the oil and it hasnt ever shown that it's past the full mark.

Originally Posted by ARB1977

The Pilot has a timing belt and VCM
mad.gif

Get a muzzler
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Bud
I would say yes, but best bet would be to ask your service dept.

10% chance you will get a knowledgeable answer to that question. 30 years ago you would have a 70% to get
a knowledgeable answer.

Agreed. My own brother in law is a service manager for a big Honda dealer where we live...love the guy but my dog knows more about cars than him. He knows next to nothing about cars. Most service writers/service managers get their information second hand from techs, they are usually not trained in automotive and if they are, they don't work on cars (or at least haven't in a long time). My brother in law can sell and he can talk, but 90% of it is total BS. It just rolls off his tongue. Listening to him you'd swear he was an expert on cars, he isn't, he's a BS artist. And a very good one. He literally has not worked on a car once in his entire life.

But the guy is great at what he does...he can talk, he can sell, he can take a lot of crap from customers and techs and keep right on going with a smile on his face. He makes $150,000 grand a year and they give him a new Honda Pilot every year...he may not know how to open the hood and check the oil, but he doesn't have to. They do it for him.

So don't listen to service writers or service managers. And whatever you do, DON'T listen to a salesman...that's the absolute worst thing you can do. You'd be better off talking to your car keys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by super20dan
honda isn't a Toyota

Thankfully, a Honda isn't a Toyota.
Honda typically reaches a little beyond the generic mediocrity Toyota is known for.

Originally Posted by Railrust

So don't listen to service writers or service managers. And whatever you do, DON'T listen to a salesman...that's the absolute worst thing you can do. You'd be better off talking to your car keys.

Shhh, that's a best kept secret, don't want to let that get out.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by fdcg27
honda isn't a Toyota

Honda typically reaches a little beyond the generic mediocrity Toyota is known for.

I believe he's talking about the fuel dilution issues that have plagued the Honda 1.5T which even forced China Honda to stop sales as mandated by the Chinese govt for a while.

That said, I'd buy a new one.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
honda isn't a Toyota

What does that remark even mean? It's gibberish. Honda has fallen off the quality wagon, badly. Honda has declined so badly during the past decade that it has been below the industry average for the past five years. That is the actual definition of mediocrity: of moderate degree of quality; middling; undistinguished.

So our 2018 crv needed a new engine. They ordered a brand new short block from Honda. The dealer said they filled it with just synthetic oil.. Im assuming honda oil. So do engine replacements not get the ff "break in" oil everyone talks about?
My GF 18 with 22k got a new engine this June.....It has the same problem! you can smell the gas! She gave up and traded at a loss for a new 20 RAV 4....never to walk in Honda dealer again....I had a nightmare with a 01 Civic EX that i wont ever buy a Honda again. Its to bad on paper the Honda looks like a safe bet but Ive never liked small turbo engines and will never buy one.

Break in oils standard definition is to provide high friction over a short distance. We dont do that anymore. I think break in oil went out in the 1930‘s or something when the cross hatching etc may have been coarser and the rings/ cylinder walls needed a little rough justice to seat them in. Or maybe the ring material was not as advanced as now.
What else needs lapping to fit in an engine besides the rings? I can’t off hand think of anything. Everything else we want to preserve as much as possible.

Somewhat related: Ford's 5.4L engine has plastic timing chain tensioner housings with a captured O-ring seal (known to leak) , and a sheet metal backing plate on the oil pump (known to leak). Note: Internal oil leaks are common. In this case, ultra thin oils/fuel diluted oil, escape out of these minor leaks at a rapid enough rate at idle and low RPM, and result in camshaft and phaser oil starvation. The result is ruined cylinder heads, wiped out cam lobes and bearings, worn followers and knocking phasers. The easy solution is a more viscous oil and more frequent changes. Simply choose an oil that will pump to the cylinder heads at idle and low RPM when hot. In fact the difference between 5W-20 oil and 10W-30/40 may be less than 100K lifespan (often much less) and 400-500K lifespan.

The little Honda engine is not really different. The oil is thinned by fuel, and pressure is reduced by internal leaks and flow, the result is a short lifespan for some owners. The fix remains the same. Frequent oil changes and the choice of a quality oil with sufficient viscosity.

I'd never be "afraid" of such an engine.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Bud
I would say yes, but best bet would be to ask your service dept.

10% chance you will get a knowledgeable answer to that question. 30 years ago you would have a 70% to get
a knowledgeable answer.

Agreed. My own brother in law is a service manager for a big Honda dealer where we live...love the guy but my dog knows more about cars than him. He knows next to nothing about cars. Most service writers/service managers get their information second hand from techs, they are usually not trained in automotive and if they are, they don't work on cars (or at least haven't in a long time). My brother in law can sell and he can talk, but 90% of it is total BS. It just rolls off his tongue. Listening to him you'd swear he was an expert on cars, he isn't, he's a BS artist. And a very good one. He literally has not worked on a car once in his entire life.

But the guy is great at what he does...he can talk, he can sell, he can take a lot of crap from customers and techs and keep right on going with a smile on his face. He makes $150,000 grand a year and they give him a new Honda Pilot every year...he may not know how to open the hood and check the oil, but he doesn't have to. They do it for him.

That has been my observation about "most" service writers after dealing with them on a retail level, and working at 5 different high volume dealerships. They had a good line of BS, that was about it. And when they came across someone with some automotive smarts they got flustered and looked stupid real quick. lol

Back