The painful death of my parents 2009 Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
She knew better and still made a bad decision. I hope your folks make her get her own car with her own money.

Here's hoping the victim in the other car is fine in the end.

Assumptions aside, the young lady should have been aware of the left turn signal if there was one and the left turner should have looked before turning. Wonder how the police assigned blame. Thank God everyone is ok.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
She knew better and still made a bad decision. I hope your folks make her get her own car with her own money.

Here's hoping the victim in the other car is fine in the end.

+1. No excuse for bad moves, though we must recognize that everyone makes them.

The parents are in a lousy ststr because it was a high mileage car that looked really nice and newish, ruined by a bad decision.

And the poor person who got hit, no fault of their own... stinks that they'll have to go through fights and get s van back that's never going to be the same... or else get lowballed and need a new one which they'll be economically behind on because the insurance payout will never be enough.

Glad everyone is ok... just wish folks would think a bit more.

Same thing happened to my dad years ago. He was passing a line of cars and one in the middle turned left right in front of him. Didn't have time to react and flipped his Ranger.

Common to come up on 5-6 cars behind a tractor going 35 out his way.

terrible shame...

and too bad you're on that side of Indiana... if you were nearer he Ohio border, I'd ask you about parting it out...
a co worker of mine has a similar vintage Milan, and in the wind storm that went though yesterday morning, her sunroof(which had a wonky seal anyway) popped out and went bye-bye.

a pre-dawn look with civilian eyes didn't see any collateral damage to the vehicle, but....

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Same thing happened to my dad years ago. He was passing a line of cars and one in the middle turned left right in front of him. Didn't have time to react and flipped his Ranger.

Common to come up on 5-6 cars behind a tractor going 35 out his way.

Can confirm. NWI is a very weird mix of industrial and farmland. Also seen many people try to pass multiple cars and/or farm equipment and almost fail in horrific fashion.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Assumptions aside, the young lady should have been aware of the left turn signal if there was one and the left turner should have looked before turning. Wonder how the police assigned blame. Thank God everyone is ok.

Chicagoans don't use blinkers... a few do, but an alarming amount don't... maybe they're mad that Da Bears lost, again, and have that on their minds
lol.gif

Last edited:
Also consider that this accident scenario happens often on freeways. The right hand lanes might be choked up but if you are in the left lane you have to be very aware of one that might pull out just to get moving.

The important thing is that everyone is okay.

trying to get inside that fence to the left early?
Originally Posted by dan_erickson
danez_yoda said:
Sounds like she would be at fault by trying to pass a car that is making a left turn.

How bad is the other driver and car? That could be a drivers side T-bone situation. Glad to hear shes OK but i hope she learned a life lone lesson.

I did a similar thing in highschool by looking around my center console for a cassette tape and didn't see the brake lights in front. I slammed on the brakes and turned left the slide passed them on the left side and they turned right in front of me.
frown.gif
I tagged their front quarter DS quarter panel with my 1982 AMERICAN steel front bumper. It was they eyes of the driver right before I hit them that I remembered most. No-one hurt, insurance covered other car. I was grounded until my cars damage could be paid for. (2 months of hard labor on the Winn Dixie stock crew)
smile.gif
That was ~40 years ago and still locked in like yesterday.

Originally Posted by dan_erickson

Originally Posted by fdcg27
So, your sister made a really low percentage move and the car protected her from the consequences of driving beyond dumb.
Glad that she's okay and the Fusion did give nearly 300K before its demise. It looks like it was a very nice and well looked after car, especially for one used in the salt belt.
I hope that your sister learns from this since if there is a next time St. Christopher might not be looking after her.

Exactly! I hope this is a life lesson that she learns from

I hate to see good running, high mileage old cars die in this manner. It deserved a better fate than stupidity.

I had a coworker that did that on his motorcycle and paid a really light price for it considering, only some road rash and hurt and itched for 2 month before the infection cleared and it healed.

The stupid Censored still rides with a pudding bowl helmet and leather vest. fingerless gloves. etc. He just does not make as much fun of my gear now.

Rod

Originally Posted by Dinoburner

With a line of cars behind them, very few would check the opposing lane for passers, but it is a very good idea. It has happened to me a number of times (to be passed while signaling a left turn), even with no cars behind me, so my left signal flashing was clearly visible if one looked; a lot of people should not be driving. I sometimes slow down for green lights, checking side traffic, foot on the brake.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Chicagoans don't use blinkers... a few do, but an alarming amount don't... maybe they're mad that Da Bears lost, again, and have that on their minds
lol.gif

Also tailgate like crazy at high speeds.
I knew right away on I-65 I was coming close to Chicago.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

And the poor person who got hit, no fault of their own... stinks that they'll have to go through fights and get s van back that's never going to be the same... or else get lowballed and need a new one which they'll be economically behind on because the insurance payout will never be enough.

Our minivan was recently totaled by a (probably) distracted driver, and it was a blessing. I'd been thinking of replacing it for some time, and the payout was more than I would have got for the 230k + miles vehicle with peeling paint (and plenty of other issues.) And the experience was a lot easier than selling a car!

I would bet that van is totaled, too...

Last edited:
Some drivers see a car slowing or a line of cars, and ask themselves WHY is this / these car(s) slowing down ? Left turner, pedestrian, school bus ? Lets slow down and find out ...

Other drivers see the same line and think ... aaaaargh, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM !?!? , stupid drivers, bleep it I'm gonna pass them ...

Thankfully no one was seriously injured. Maybe the OP's sister will have learned a lesson here.

In the UK, if you're turning it is up to you to check your mirrors and blind spot before pulling out. If you pull out and someone goes into you is it considered the fault of the person turning.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Some drivers see a car slowing or a line of cars, and ask themselves WHY is this / these car(s) slowing down ? Left turner, pedestrian, school bus ? Lets slow down and find out ...

Other drivers see the same line and think ... aaaaargh, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM !?!? , stupid drivers, bleep it I'm gonna pass them ...

Thankfully no one was seriously injured. Maybe the OP's sister will have learned a lesson here.

Not long ago there was a woman who struck and killed 3 kids that were getting off a school bus. She decided to go around, using the other lane of this 2 lane road, the stopped traffic.

If you strike someone or some thing while using the opposite lane of traffic, it's a sure bet you're gonna be at fault. In WA state you're permitted to use the opposite lane to pass only if a) it's a dotted yellow line and b) it's "safe" to do so. The fact that she struck the other car indicates it wasn't "safe"... prepare for an insurance rate hike and hope the coverage limits are enough to cover both the property damage and personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back