Possibly the worst OEM tires I've ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Goodyear Eagle Touring - RAM 1500 OEM in 285/45R22.

So, I thought the Eagle RS-A's on my former SRT Charger were bad. These make those look downright excellent.

Dry performance is fine, and they are quiet. But when it gets wet out, they are SCARY. Like, you've got the traction control kicking in at 80-100Km/h when you are trying to merge scary. The Wranglers that were on the '18 EcoDiesel we had were significantly better (though I wouldn't say good) and both were put to shame by the winters we had on that truck, the Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2's.

I'm actually tempted to replace them, despite them having less than 20,000Km on them at this juncture.

Anyone else have this experience with these?

Some pics for those who care what they look like:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Goodyears have always been like that for some reason. They are rock hard and last long, but are loud and don't stick when the weather goes bad.

Some here wonder why Goodyear is held in such contempt by so many people, it's OEM tires like these. I only had OEM Wranglers to fuel my hatred, twice, since I bought two Dakotas in a row.

If I were you I would replace them, but... 22" tires, a lot of money. Maybe you can sell the old ones to help cover the costs, with full disclosure of course.

Might just be because its an unbalanced pickup truck with a heavy iron big-torque v8 on the front axle and no load on the back where the drive wheels are.
Tire Rack sometimes complains about tires that have rubber compounds with insufficient wet grip, so its possible Goodyear just didn't emphasize wet traction here. You could try a new tire type they claim to have actually tested and found good wet grip.

Have have several "worst" OEM tires over the years, Goodyear Wrangler SRA's being one of them...currently replacing a set of Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422Plus (before winter) with only 22k miles on them.

I took a look at a couple of Goodyears on Tire Rack, and both have low marks for wet traction. Could be a pattern here.
I've got Goodyear Finesse OE tires on a Tiguan now, yet haven't tested them enough, being a new '19 model.

Was one a winter tire and one an A/T ? There have actually been good reports on GY winter tires - and the top of the line GY's are solid tires - regardless folks will paint the whole brand because they put out a "meh" factory tire - not sure why they do that and I feel sure the OEM knows it.
The worst I ever had was Hankook - nothing even close - and yes, it was horrible in the rain. The Eagles GT's I put on after that were great - but more of an M&S with voids to consume water.
As for the RSA - never bought anything new with those - but my last factory Wranglers went 59k and only changed them for age. RSA is a reputation problem they should address.
The Michelins on the Tahoe have been good enough in the rain (2 stabilitrak activations to date) - a fairly tight tread for smooth and quiet stuff - so did not expect them to be the best of the best when the roads were wet. Now looking like they will have to come off between 40k-50k - so will look for something a bit more "open"

Goodyear makes some crappy tires and some really good tires, depending on the size of course.
I'm guessing those tires provide higher fuel economy at the expense of wet traction.
Auto makers can buy or sell carbon credits. Each tenth of 1 MPG counts and adds up.
You need to be careful as you could put tires on your vehicle that aren't much better

I had a 2003 Ram with Michelin LTX radials as the OE tires. They were just as bad as what you are describing. The hydroplaning was a big factor. I didn't keep the truck long enough to buy a replacement set.

Last edited:
And these are what passes for pickup tires these days, ? 285 45X22 Way too much rock hard contact patch specially in the wet. That is a ridiculous fitment for a 1/2 ton truck. How does it handle with a load on?

That's the tire that was on the Limited RAM I rented that didn't like changing lanes sometimes, I'm convinced it was the tires, most here think it was lane departure working. Not.

Not a tire I'd want to own and you can tell from looking it isn't going to be any good in snow. Silly stupid tires for a truck.

I had GY tires on a VW when bought it brand new in '97 and ever since GY has become a swear word for me and I never even consider buying another GY tire.

I have had a few sets of OE tires that, for lack of a better word, just felt plasticky in the wet. Not sure if it is a cost thing, or a fuel economy / rolling resistance trait, but the tires just felt OFF.

I've also had some winter tires with the same characteristics.

???

Currently running the SR-As and they're awful. In FL you need tires with good wet road traction. Won't be long before I replace them with Michelin Defenders.

Last edited:
I had a blowout with one Wrangler, two Michelin Defenders now. I'll rotate two more in at the correct time. I'm at 39k with a 2017 Silverado.

I say mostly blame Ram, they spec the tires.. they had to have that extra .25mpg to put on the window sticker.

The kumhos that came on the 2020 elantra are surprisingly NOT horrid.. but the wind blows you out of your lane just like the oem tires on my 2015 subaru, and they tramline on grooved pavement REALLY BAD.. whiplash bad.. and the state of OHIO in their wisdom has put in ton of these grooved roads(grooved in the direction of travel).. its terrible.

Probably put some conti dws06 or similar on next year (looking for UHP all season that dont have an overly punishing ride.)
That is if I buy a winter set for it, if not nokian wrg4 or some vredestein quatrac 5's next month.
I have yet to find an OEM tire that I liked.. ever.

The closest so far are the destination AT on the cherokee trailhawk. I'd call them decent or above average, but the regular cherokee(non-trailhawk) tires are sub-par.

The Kumho kh16 on my 2009 elantra touring were mediocre at best.

Both yokohama OEM tires- g91f, g95a on my 2011 and 2015 forester were terrible esp on wet roads and winter. The oem Continentals on the 2013 outback werent much better.

The worst oem tires of all time for me were the OEM goodyear RT/S on the 2002 ranger.. I literally threw them out at 15000miles and they sounded like super swampers.

Noticing a trend yet...

I've had experience with 5 different Goodyear tires. Eagle LS2, RSA, Comfortred Tourings, Silent Armor, and the Wrangler Radial. The Eagle LS2, RSA and Wrangler Radials were HORRIBLE tires. All of them had horrible wet traction, especially the Wrangler Radials. None of them were predictable and seemed to randomly loose traction. Don't even ask about snow traction on any of those tires. The Comfortred Tourings and the Silent Armors were actually decent but were expensive.

I can't say that any OEM tires I've ever experienced were good. Most of them we replaced before they were worn out around 6/32nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back