In writing. 0w20 Mobil Oils can be used where 5w20 is recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
For the few that still questioned it...

Screenshot_20191026-225824_Chrome.jpg

Will Mobil 1 assume responsibility for oil-related warranty issues, hypothetically speaking ? I'll bet you they fall back to "do what the owner's manual says".

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Will Mobil 1 assume responsibility for oil-related warranty issues, hypothetically speaking ? I'll bet you they fall back to "do what the owner's manual says".

Typically, 0w-20 has all the same approvals as 5w-20.

Why are we wasting space and time on this thread? This is nothing new

I guess some engine manufacturers think a 0w20 will lose its VII additives too fast, since we know 0w20 is brewed with thinner base oils and reaches it's hot visc targets due to extra VII.
That said, a 5w20 with cheaper basestocks also needs some VII, where a good syn 5w20 might not need much if any. A little complicated.
Mobil's statement takes into account all their 0w20 oils meet dexos1 which is higher than SN, meaning they can take some abuse.

Originally Posted by paoester
I guess some engine manufacturers think a 0w20 will lose its VII additives too fast, since we know 0w20 is brewed with thinner base oils and reaches it's hot visc targets due to extra VII.
That said, a 5w20 with cheaper basestocks also needs some VII, where a good syn 5w20 might not need much if any. A little complicated.
Mobil's statement takes into account all their 0w20 oils meet dexos1 which is higher than SN, meaning they can take some abuse.

We know that at least with Mobil's flagship 0w-20's, EP and AP, that they are basically entirely PAO-based, whereas this is not the case with their 5w-20's. Thus, one can use a cheaper base and more VII in a 5w-20 to hit the intended performance target and respective winter rating. In this case, the 0w-20 may actually use less VII.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Typically, 0w-20 has all the same approvals as 5w-20.

Some automakers specifically call out a particular viscosity.

Some will add a sentence after that that then says "or an oil that meets..." etc, etc.

At the end of the day, I'm just curious who will put their money where their mouth is and go against their new vehicle warranty based on some marketing claims made on an oil company's website.

At the end of the day, I'm just curious who will put their money where their mouth is and go against their new vehicle warranty based on some marketing claims made on an oil company's website.

This whole BUT THE WARRANTY argument gets tiresome. Car makers want proof that you actually changed the oil. They look at the dipstick and the used oil's appearance. Check for an assembly plant oil filter ... Maybe they pull a valve cover and take a peak, if the owner's story seem off.

They DON'T pull an oil sample, have it analyzed, then extrapolate the winter grade by using the 100 c and 40 c viscosity curve, then chemically analyze the formula to determine if it meets THEIR brand specific oil spec., then deny the warranty because they have determined that you used an 0w20 where a 5w20 was recommended. Really, they don't ...

Hallsteveson, I'll be using 0w20 M1AP I just picked up on clearance from AZone. I'm not worried.

We know that at least with Mobil's flagship 0w-20's, EP and AP, that they are basically entirely PAO-based, whereas this is not the case with their 5w-20's. Thus, one can use a cheaper base and more VII in a 5w-20 to hit the intended performance target and respective winter rating. In this case, the 0w-20 may actually use less VII ...

The 0w max viscosity limits are difficult to meet, and seem to require higher quality ingredients to make an oil that will pump and flow at extreme cold temps, AND stay in grade over a full OCI.

Haha ! Hey, I'm just repeating the whole "the sky is falling" scare tactics a whole bunch of people here like to use. I assure you, there are folks who believe they'll pull a sample and magically determine the brand, viscosity, etc and then tell people "the oil doesn't meet out spec" so your warranty is denied.

I now have about 505K using M1 20 wt oils in my last 3 Ford Duratech engines and 90% of that is with 0-20. Outstanding results at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
On the other hand - my owners manuals on two fairly expensive vehicles call for 0w20 and they made oil system changes in the engine when they switched from 5w30.
From this website I have gained, not lost faith in 0w20 being a premium quality motor oil at a reasonable price.

I used 0w30 in my 2013 RX350 where 0w20 is spec'd, wait why are there black vans and guys with suits and earpieces outside my house?
shocked.gif

They are in the vans since the 2500 Chevy Subdivision SUV's are getting up there in age

Originally Posted by geeman789
This whole BUT THE WARRANTY argument gets tiresome. Car makers want proof that you actually changed the oil. They look at the dipstick and the used oil's appearance. Check for an assembly plant oil filter ... Maybe they pull a valve cover and take a peak, if the owner's story seem off.

They DON'T pull an oil sample, have it analyzed, then extrapolate the winter grade by using the 100 c and 40 c viscosity curve, then chemically analyze the formula to determine if it meets THEIR brand specific oil spec., then deny the warranty because they have determined that you used an 0w20 where a 5w20 was recommended. Really, they don't ...

They don't have to lift a finger to find out I don't have the right oil in my '19 VW Tiguan.

VW 508 0w20, by requirement, must have a easily visible green-blue color. I have thought the dye might wash out with age, yet VAG put that requirement there to rat us out.

Would a dealership deny an engine warranty claim (for example, if the timing chain stretched, or I lost a rod bearing) if they found out I'm being naughty & currenlty putting in Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 because I had it left over in my stash?

I do plan to get with the program and use VW 508 in the future, since its a great spec.

Originally Posted by paoester

We know that at least with Mobil's flagship 0w-20's, EP and AP, that they are basically entirely PAO-based, whereas this is not the case with their 5w-20's. Thus, one can use a cheaper base and more VII in a 5w-20 to hit the intended performance target and respective winter rating. In this case, the 0w-20 may actually use less VII.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back