electric cars

Maryland planning on 5000 charging stations in next 5 years.
are they a standard connection for all electric cars?
how fast do they charge (know it varies
what does it cost to use a charge station
they mention 50 KWH how far will that get you?

Last edited:
Once the electric companies have you on their hook you'll be longing for the time when gas was $5 a gallon. Often they don't have enough electricity for the household A/C, imagine if all the cars were plug-in electrics.
We are going electric, no doubt on that, but the answer is NOT the plug in, it takes too long, but the hydrogen fuel cell and Toyota already has cars sold in California.
Greta said that if we could [censored] into the tank we could all operate on gas, but then they'll gouge you on vaseline. There ain't no free lunch.

Last edited:
The main thing is to charge them at home and only use the charging stations when you are outside your usual commute. You can get on Tesla.com and go through the motions but the Model 3 has some options from 240 miles to 300 miles. I believe the charger connection is universal. I saw BMW i8 on the same charger as a Chevy Bolt. The charge rates vary and it is now standard etiquette to limit your charge time to 20 or thirty minutes. There are different versions of chargers with different rates. Most chargers up here are free for now.

Here is a Tesla S at a small charger at a coffee shop down the road. Currently the Tesla website shows a 373 mile range and 2.4 sec 0-60 mph.

953B6B01-1D81-4D82-82ED-29734274DF1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Chargers are not universal. There are adapters.
Additionally, EVs charge at different rates; the fastest charging cars can accept higher voltages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
Once the electric companies have you on their hook you'll be longing for the time when gas was $5 a gallon. Often they don't have enough electricity for the household A/C, imagine if all the cars were plug-in electrics.
We are going electric, no doubt on that, but the answer is NOT the plug in, it takes too long, but the hydrogen fuel cell and Toyota already has cars sold in California.
Greta said that if we could [censored] into the tank we could all operate on gas, but then they'll gouge you on vaseline. There ain't no free lunch.

So true. I am still waiting on the Hydrogen revoloution.

Originally Posted by CT8

I charge at home; I have solar panels installed.
This will shorten our solar project cost break even time and increase the value of the project.

baloney....you don't know that. In a capitalist system, gouging only works when there is no alternative. Gasoline is the alternative, and not going away anytime soon.

Originally Posted by edwardh1

how fast do they charge

Not all chargers use the same connectors.

It takes 50 minutes to reach 80% charge. Claims of faster charges are relatively untrue. Battery size matters not. Battery charge rate is the limit. We can "CRAM" power into a battery faster, at the expense of battery life and heat production. But topping off a battery requires lots of time, as the charge rate decreases as it "fills up".

50KWH is a solid 100 highway miles and 140 city miles in a Model 3 sized car.

EDIT: Tesla sandbags their batteries. In other words, the 100KWH capacity is really 140KWH+++, de-rated to 100. That way, as the battery degrades, and individual cells fail, the user does not notice significant problems. Also, Tesla can "improve" range with a software update, by allowing the battery to reach a higher state of charge.

Gentle charging results in much longer cell life and the cells can tolerate a great many charge cycles. We do know that time (years) degrade a lithium battery. So while modern cells may in fact be capable of 3000 charge cycles, we don't know what 10 years will bring. The best guess is that capacity will be seriously reduced in 10 years, regardless of charge method.

Last edited:
Look at what is happening in California with the electric grid as we speak. Most all of it brought on by ignorant environmentalists one way or another. Not a, "Historic Wind Event". The same clowns who are constantly pushing for all of this electric and hydrogen nonsense. Now, try to imagine those same people trying to evacuate their burning neighborhoods in their battery powered wonders. All with no power to charge them.

These people not only create disasters, but are so detached from reality, they have the ability to make them worse than anyone could imagine.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Maryland planning on 5000 charging stations in next 5 years.
how fast do they charge (know it varies
what does it cost to use a charge station

My Volt would go about 250 miles on that amount of juice but I'm guessing that isn't what is meant
these are likely diesel gate 50kw charge rate CCS (or dual standard) L3 chargers apart of the VW highway network.

The sad part is "charging stations " aren't really required, for local travel, a cheap outlet 110 or 220 is adequate for local travel when you are stopping an hour plus at each destination. L1 can cost the business as little as 10 cents an hour to operate and government may only pay 2 cents an hour. TOU

In terms of "standard connections"

EVSE is generally a US L1/L2 standard, it's rate varies from 800watts to 19.2kws depending on capabilities of the cars internals and the EVSE "extension cord", TESLA owners need to carry the adapter but all EVs including the older ones can use this.

Next most common standard is an extension of EVSE which is CCS many times referred to as Level 3 charge or quick charge. These dc chargers can throttle anywhere from 25kw (antique) to 150+kw (newer)
This equates to summer rates of 75-750 miles per hour of charge added, 50kw is barely acceptable for winter highway use.

Tesla has its own proprietary standard charger which can be adapted (and some stations have multiple connections)

Nissan has the Japanese chademo which can also be adapted but is sometimes found on dual standard stations.

Baseline electricity costs between 1 cent and 12 cents a kwhr, (what it actually costs the municipality) depending on location and time of use
AKA government doesn't necessarily pay as much as you for juice.
with industrial rates from 3-14 cents a kwhr (in a retail charge station distributor scenario)

Inefficient large EVs can go about 2 miles a kwhr in the winter to
5+ Miles a kwhr in the summer (for a more efficient one)

Easy math, EVs are cheap in the long run if they are managed properly.

Originally Posted by CT8

CNG is the better way to go and is available right now. Approximately $1.50 a gallon equivalent to gasoline. Domestic supply projected at hundreds of years. Burns very clean with minimal emissions. Little modification needed to current vehicles. Home refueling possible if you have a natural gas line to your house. Had a few of them 5-10 years ago when they were hot because of high gasoline prices. Just got an older Impala for peanuts because nobody knows anything about them.

Originally Posted by CT8

Maybe In a hundred years.

At $15 a gallon it's not worth it,

For what it's worth you can get a 2016 Mirai for $5000 off the auction block, have to convert to CNG or ice to use it though

Laws of physics are a cruel mistress, a compressed air powered car is more efficient than a current hydrogen one just to show how utterly futile the hydrogen economy is.

Last edited:
Short of some miraculous and unknown new battery technology, the EV will not replicate the capability of fuel powered vehicles. Example: A Nissan Altima can achieve 600 miles of highway range at 85MPH. The best $120,000 EV can do about 240 miles at that speed.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

That's only because the cost of residential and commercial electricity is cheap in many locations. When it comes to actual energy BTU's consumed per mile, EV's are at best, 29% efficient. A full 20% less efficient than the 36% efficient Prius.

In locations where electricity is expensive, it's cheaper per mile, to drive a "dual fuel" (gas and electric) Chevy Volt on gas. 11c per mile on electric and 5c per mile on gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
Look at what is happening in California with the electric grid as we speak. Most all of it brought on by ignorant environmentalists one way or another. Not a, "Historic Wind Event". The same clowns who are constantly pushing for all of this electric and hydrogen nonsense. Now, try to imagine those same people trying to evacuate their burning neighborhoods in their battery powered wonders. All with no power to charge them.
These people not only create disasters, but are so detached from reality, they have the ability to make them worse than anyone could imagine.

Never confuse environmentalists with facts !! They don't matter, all that matters is their agenda.
A few weeks ago a read a european report on bio-fuel and therein was stated that it take 2 litres of diesel to make 1 litre of bio-fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460

Hmm... How do I gas up my ICE cars get gas if there is no power?
If you had a solar battery storage you would have power, right?
I am not sure who is creating disasters, beyond PGE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How do I gas up my ICE cars get gas if there is no power?
If you had a solar battery storage you would have power, right?
I am not sure who is creating disasters, beyond PGE.

Don't they have backup generators for when the power goes out? And the whole power lines causing fires issue could have been prevented if they put the lines underground.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Short of some miraculous and unknown new battery technology, the EV will not replicate the capability of fuel powered vehicles. Example: A Nissan Altima can achieve 600 miles of highway range at 85MPH. The best $120,000 EV can do about 240 miles at that speed.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

That's only because the cost of residential and commercial electricity is cheap in many locations. When it comes to actual energy BTU's consumed per mile, EV's are at best, 29% efficient. A full 20% less efficient than the 36% efficient Prius.

In locations where electricity is expensive, it's cheaper per mile, to drive a "dual fuel" (gas and electric) Chevy Volt on gas. 11c per mile on electric and 5c per mile on gas.

Cujet, EV charging cost is very low if you have solar panels.
Isn't it true that areas that have high electricity rates also have high gasoline costs?
Some good news, I gassed up the thirsty GS at Costco for $3.89 per gallon! That's 50 cents less that last fill up.

Back