New Battery Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a new battery in my Kioti tractor (30 HP diesel) this morning and according to my charger it tested at 13.7 However, it barely cranked over the motor; second cranks resulted only in solenoid clicking. The charger still read it at 80%. Battery store closed today so have to wait till Monday to take it back. Battery is a 24, with 700 cranking amps. What does the above sound like to those of you who know batteries? I'm clueless.

Maybe huge starter draw? Feel the cables/ connections and see if they're getting hot.

It's possible the battery is bad from the factory. It's also possible the starter is failing. How old is the tractor?

What symptoms did the previous battery exhibit that caused you to replace it? Same behavior?

If so, you have a separate problem to find and fix or it will continue to eat your batteries.

Put a volt meter across the posts. Crank the engine and see what the voltage drops to while cranking. If it takes a dive, most likely the battery is bad. If it stays above ten volts and it only clicks the solenoid, something else is wrong like a bad cable or a connection or starter.
Ive seen new bad batteries.

Originally Posted by henni
You can jumpstart it with two 12 volt batteries

Good way to burn up a starter by series connecting them. Bad move. Check and clean all connections.

Last edited:
Tractor is 10 YO Kioti diesel. Always a quick starting motor. Never had any probs with current Dekka 2 yo batt untill it acted like the new battery; that is, it cranked over and started; shortly thereafter I cut it off for about 15 min...then it wouldn't crank again. Just a couple cliks. After sitting for about 30 min, it barely cranked and started.

Charging it didn't help much, batt charger said it was fully charged but....one crank and its done. Bought new battery and the result is as I reported above. Makes sense that if new battery acts pretty much like old one, I have a problem somewhere else. Might have to have it hauled to dealer if I can't find simple solution as I'm not much at mechanics.

I've looked at batt ground cable attachment...still tight. Ground looks clean....will pull and sand terminals and ground connections. No corrosion anywhere. Cable wires to solenoid area appear clean and tight. Will look at those again. I'll have to get someone over to help me test it cranking with volt meter and at same time see if cables get hot.

Thanks a bunch of the help. Once I get it resolved, I'll report what the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back