Shopsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to get a lathe for some time. A distant relative offered/gifted me a 1946 Shopsmith that has 4 different functions: Lathe, sander, horizontal bore, and table saw. It's in excellent condition and comes with all the parts/tools.

Does anyone have a Shopsmith and have any tips/tricks? I have zero experience with one but am eager to learn.

I have 4 acres of pine, maple, and cedar trees that I plan on playing with!

Today I just gave a complete 1983 Mark V Shopsmith system to a carpenter friend of mine. It was my father's, and I wasn't getting enough use from it. It's like a Swiss army knife, but many woodworkers say that separate individual tools do a better job. The nice thing is that they're built like tanks, and the company still offers customer service and parts in the USA. You should be able to get an owners manual for yours for about $30 from the company.

Good luck

I just sold a 1960 Shop Smith 5E. The Mark series are the better ones because more tools, more versatility. They ARE built like tanks. American made!

i never owned one but did use one at a shop I used to wok in..they seem to be able to do about anything you want, like others said built like a tank , wish I could find one myself

Originally Posted by dja4260
I've been wanting to get a lathe for some time. A distant relative offered/gifted me a 1946 Shopsmith that has 4 different functions: Lathe, sander, horizontal bore, and table saw. It's in excellent condition and comes with all the parts/tools.

Does anyone have a Shopsmith and have any tips/tricks? I have zero experience with one but am eager to learn.

I have 4 acres of pine, maple, and cedar trees that I plan on playing with!

I would give them a call. I'm sure they would be very interested in someone with a 1946 model and they might have the manual available as well in some kind of format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back