Techron: Before or After

Status
Not open for further replies.
it will likely mix as you drive..especially if you have a "return" style fuel injection system. it sure doesnt hurt to add before you fill though..

Most additives are added prior to filling your tank after running it down to almost empty. This is what I follow.
That being said, it probably wouldn't matter much if you add it after filling. It eventually will mix in with the gasoline.

Originally Posted by billt460
I always put it in before. That way it mixes as you fill. Plus you flush it out of the spout and filler neck. And into the tank.

+1

Though I couldn't tell you if there's a significant difference in results, the general recommendation is add to a near empty tank and fill with gas. Then drive till tank near empty again. Might as well go with recommendation.

Does not matter, when you drive stuff will get mixed
I add techron to half tank and drive, more concentration.

I put two 12 ounce bottles in a 19.5 gallon tank. Maybe that extra 4.5 ounces will not hurt anything. I'm planning on adding the same amount to a 17.5 gallon tank when it's closer to empty.

I pour it in before I head to the gas station.
smile.gif
get a good shot of high concentrated to start the cleaning then finish with a regular dose. Spirited driving to the gas station too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Just before an oil change

Not the question asked, but one that I'd like to see some answers to. I generally do the same thing, although not necessarily the last tank. Whether it makes a difference in a normal engine, I have no idea-- although I have GDI. So why would a few ounces of Techron in the oil be bad?

Originally Posted by mclasser
Originally Posted by billt460
I always put it in before. That way it mixes as you fill. Plus you flush it out of the spout and filler neck. And into the tank.

+1

+2

Originally Posted by csandste

Not the question asked, but one that I'd like to see some answers to. I generally do the same thing, although not necessarily the last tank. Whether it makes a difference in a normal engine, I have no idea-- although I have GDI. So why would a few ounces of Techron in the oil be bad?

I've spent a lot of time on the Techron website and there's nothing about using it before an oil change. Quite the contrary, Chevron specs no more than 12 doses during any one drain interval.

Originally Posted by CT8
The secret is to pour it in with your left hand.

...‚...‚...‚.. while sucking your right thumb. Works better that way;

I just added a bottle of Redline Sl-1 at fill up, and then saw this thread. With 7000 kms left to go on the current oil change, I'm wondering about this as well.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic

I just added a bottle of Redline Sl-1 at fill up, and then saw this thread. With 7000 kms left to go on the current oil change, I'm wondering about this as well.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a dilution issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back