Which 60" or so Zero Turn mower to buy or avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 acres to mow, have a Swisher now but you have to push the handles the entire time, almost as hard as pushing a push mower. The others I have used, the handles stay where you put them. So that is #1. #2 is reliability and ease of repairs for the DIY. Replacing spindle bearings on the Swisher is a job I don't want to do ever again. Have around 4-5K to spend and would like to avoid units with troublesome EFI. Kawasaki engine vs B&S? Let me know what to avoid or what has worked for you. Thanks.

I love my Dixie Chopper Zee2 but its only 48"....and $4400 - would not change a thing and I would not go up any for more money. In size or model, or price.

Oh and I cut 2 acres of some turns etc. in 2 hours not even pushing it, doing a good job. No bogging, no matter the height (under a foot).

I don't know why I would want a wider deck, unless I had a golf course, otherwise you could never catch me....
smile.gif

OH - AND Kawasaki ALL THE WAY. Best by far.

Last edited:
To those of you responding, please state whether the control arms need constant effort or not. And how bad was it to change the belts and bearings? Are there grease fittings, etc. Thanks.

I can push the arms with 1 finger if I want....but they do return - they have to by safety regs....belts are right there with a diagram....not that I am expecting to throw, or change belts for at least 3-4 years, bearings are in a spindle unit - $60-80, 3 or 4 bolts on the deck - also not even worried for years, couldn't be simpler.....

I've brush-hogged with this mower already (3ft grass) and very satisfied with the performance & quality.

Last edited:
I think on any mower you could take the stick return cylinders off completely if you're disabled or something. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me though - maybe they are adjustable - never even paid it a moments notice before.

A 60" Zero Turn in the $4,000 - $5,000 range? You're cutting it pretty close. You may be able to get an Ariens or a Hustler Raptor SDX for that. The Hustler Raptor SDX are sold at dealers and not at Lowe's. I own a Toro Timecutter HD 54 and I paid well over $5000 for it. Avoid Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Troybilt

Last edited:
My Swisher has return springs fore and aft of the handles, but they don't look that strong to me. I think the effort is in the pumps them selves. What I do is use bungee cords to neutralize the effort. It works ok but after using others......why...

I'm hoping for a year end closeout deal, and selling my Swisher to help. I saw a Husqavarna with a scratch on the deck for 4500. New.

That's one problem, I've found that dealers are no help or worse.. I buy Toyotas and never go to one.

60 inch 5k new you're probably going to need some more cash for decent recommendation but I will recommend a SCAG if you can swing it.

Hustler with a Kawasaki and you're golden. I have no experience on the other side of the fences, but I work on my Hustler far less than my neighbor does his Deere. And regardless of mower brand, my Kawasaki engine has been THE BEST engine. 1000 hours without a hiccup or even so much as a puff of smoke. Truly stellar. *Zero effort controls btw*

Edit: To clarify, I have a 2016 Hustler Raptor 52" with the Kawasaki 23HP FR691V. Been using my stash of 5W-30 Valvoline Synpower (SN) it's whole life after the 8hr change. Never even had to use the choke. 11/10.

Last edited:
If you do end up getting a Kawasaki. it'll probably ask for A WIX 57035 (or other brand equivalent) fillter. Strong recommendation after countless hours of research and phone calls directly to WIX... use the 51348 equivalent filter. From WIX: "Yes, it filters better, yes it adds more oil. No other benefit, it's just overkill." To that statement, I said "sure there is, it does both of those AND it's half the price." Win-win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back