Best mid size SUV under $25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like GM either, but the TourX is cool
45.gif

If you like Ford, there is the Transit Connect. You can probably get a leftover 2019 for 25k
smile.gif

Would you buy another Escape?

Maybe you'd like a CRV or HRV.

The Hyundai Elantra GT is also cool. Maybe you'd like the Kia Niro or even the Soul.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
45.gif

If you like Ford, there is the Transit Connect. You can probably get a leftover 2019 for 25k
smile.gif

The Hyundai Elantra GT is also cool. Maybe you'd like the Kia Niro or even the Soul.

Another Escape ??
Probably not
My wife doesn't like how they look

We have found several Honda CRV and HRV she likes

Originally Posted by csandste
My daughter, girlfriend and I each bought Hertz HyunKia's way under book and not a problem with any of 'em. You can nab an '18 Sportage comfortably under 15k. I'm done buying new cars.

Oh yeah
New cars are stupid expensive

Last edited:
We were in a similar situation a month or so ago as we upgraded from our 10' Escape that has 200k miles on it.

We both found the lightly used off lease Hyundai Tucson Limiteds in the 16-17 years to be a great value and very well equipped. We bought a 26k mile 1 owner 16' AWD Limited for 18.4k

We liked that it was affordable and was a top safety pick +. In limited trims they are loaded with leather, heated seats, blind spot monitoring, navigation, rear cross traffic alert, and a very quiet ride for having 19" wheels.

We like ours so far, it's certainly worth a look if you are looking at a similar size vehicle to your escape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
45.gif

smile.gif

Another Escape ??
Probably not
My wife doesn't like how they look

We have found several Honda CRV and HRV she likes

As an owner of one- I would look at a slightly used Santa Fe XL. They are a very decent ride-and the 3.3 has PLENTY of power.

Surprised she likes the HRV-there are creases every where-and on a small vehicle that's not good-IMHO.

Last edited:
I would email and call every Honda dealer within 200 miles and get a deal on a new CR-V.
The 2019 models gotta go.

Why buy used when your $25K just might buy new?

The RAV4 is nice; I prefer the CR-V.
Go drive 'em all.

Good luck; this is a great time to buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
#1. VW Tiguan
#2 Hyundai Santa Fe

These would be on my recommendation list, too, if looking new. Can get either for your price. Both are, IMO, still mid sized although with how crossovers are categorized now they are on the small side of mid sized.

Speaking of price, TrueCar is a scam, for new especially. Go onto forums for whatever models you are considering. There should be a thread talking about prices paid, how to negotiate, etc. I saved about $2500 by doing that a few weeks ago on a Highlander.

Speaking of which, you could get a 2019 Highlander right now for a great deal. With a little leg work 13 to 16 percent off MSRP before the $3000 rebate is common because the 2020 redesign is hitting lots in Dec. There is an extra $500 rebate right now for being a USA Triathalon member ($50 to join).

4 cyl 2WD base can be had between $25k-$26k plus TTL. Add $2500 to $3000 for V6 and AWD. Just V6 and no AWD adds about $2000 to MSRP, maybe $1700 after discounts.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/prices-paid-and-possible-deals-discussion.732258/page-138

I think you need to look at current models... base models come with a lot of features now days. Put $900 to $1200 into a base Highlander to add LED headlights and fogs (comes standard with many safety features and LED tail lights), remote start, and a better stereo head unit and you would have a great car made to last with a lot more room than you are used to, and can even tow 5000 lbs with the V6 (factory hitch and wiring is about $500 and not a hard install).

You are looking to keep a while and new will typically give you a longer life than used, cheaper financing, better warranty, etc. (Highlander made in eastern Indiana). And after owning a 2013 Elantra previously I won't go back to the Korean brands.

Excellent choices

But as a side note

Doesn't have to be new

Lots of used vehicles fall into this price range as well

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Excellent choices

But as a side note

Doesn't have to be new

Lots of used vehicles fall into this price range as well

Buy a new Tigaun for the price of a used Toyota. Right now Manufacturer rebates are really good. Plusyou would have negotiation room with the dealership.

I picked up a 2015 Venza about 6 months ago. You have alot of options with that budget. Make a short list and go on some test drives.

I bought a 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost for my wife, new, loaded. We compared to the RAV4, CR-V, Equinox and a few other models. It is a very spunky little SUV, does not use a CVT, and with tow package it will tow 3500 lbs, which is significantly more than almost any small SUV except the newer Equinox. If you could find a 17 or 18 AWD Escape 2.0 I think that would be a very good deal.

Don't many of these SUV's utilize CVT's? Deal breaker for me but I hear they are much improved.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I picked up a 2015 Venza about 6 months ago. You have alot of options with that budget. Make a short list and go on some test drives.

Actually that is sound recommendation. Venza is pretty big and that V6 is stout engine. For that budget one can get loaded Venza or Highlander compared to new smaller SUV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
We were in a similar situation a month or so ago as we upgraded from our 10' Escape that has 200k miles on it.

We both found the lightly used off lease Hyundai Tucson Limiteds in the 16-17 years to be a great value and very well equipped. We bought a 26k mile 1 owner 16' AWD Limited for 18.4k

We liked that it was affordable and was a top safety pick +. In limited trims they are loaded with leather, heated seats, blind spot monitoring, navigation, rear cross traffic alert, and a very quiet ride for having 19" wheels.

We like ours so far, it's certainly worth a look if you are looking at a similar size vehicle to your escape.

Thanks for the info
Sounds like the same plan we're on for a replacement
Thanks ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back