Amsoil dealer vs online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FlyingTexan
Is a dealer capable of giving better deals than online?

It depends- If the dealer is willing to sell to you below retail, then yes. Or you can enroll in the "preferred customer" program, where you get the same pricing as dealers, or at least within 2-3%, but its only for personal use and there is no opportunity to make money on the transaction.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Is a dealer capable of giving better deals than online?

It depends- If the dealer is willing to sell to you below retail, then yes. Or you can enroll in the "preferred customer" program, where you get the same pricing as dealers, or at least within 2-3%, but its only for personal use and there is no opportunity to make money on the transaction.

What kind of pricing does that look like? I'm curious if there's any real savings or not.

Take a trip over to Amsoil's website. It will tell you the savings as a preferred customer.

What oil would you like to check pricing on? I'm a PC...

Example:
SS 5w-30
Single quart $13.05, case of 4 gallon containers ends up $12.69.

PC prices are $9.80 single, case of 4 gallons nets $9.17/qt

So a PC membership is worth the $20 if you buy enough quantity.

As a caveat, I must say I am NOT a fan of the repeated price increases. Last time I checked -about a month ago- it was $9.01 per quart (buying by the case of gallons), and it has had 2 price increases in the year before.

Because of the price increases (bought my last batch at $8.35/qt) I have rethought my oil brand choice at this point, and will probably be going with Schaeffer's.

Just to clarify... On Oct 1st, Amsoil had a 1% price increase on 'some' products but not all. The last previous price increase was April 1st and that was between 2% and 3% depending on the product. At the same time all the other majors had 2 price increases between Jan. and May, EACH of those were between 3% and 5% , so nearly a 10% increase in just 5 months. I'd say that Amsoil has held the line in price increases better than any of the others. Lets try to be honest with facts so as not to mislead folks.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Or you can enroll in the "preferred customer" program, where you get the same pricing as dealers, or at least within 2-3%

Same (or even close) price that their own dealers pays ? I question that. Any dealers confirm this ? When I looked at some of their products, their local sales rep even suggested I sign up for that program so I guess they figure a lower commission is better than zero commission.

Originally Posted by JLTD
What oil would you like to check pricing on? I'm a PC...

Example:
SS 5w-30
Single quart $13.05, case of 4 gallon containers ends up $12.69.

PC prices are $9.80 single, case of 4 gallons nets $9.17/qt

So a PC membership is worth the $20 if you buy enough quantity.

As a caveat, I must say I am NOT a fan of the repeated price increases. Last time I checked -about a month ago- it was $9.01 per quart (buying by the case of gallons), and it has had 2 price increases in the year before.

Because of the price increases (bought my last batch at $8.35/qt) I have rethought my oil brand choice at this point, and will probably be going with Schaeffer's.

I'm looking at buying two stroke HD oil for boat motors

Originally Posted by Click
Just to clarify... On Oct 1st, Amsoil had a 1% price increase on 'some' products but not all. The last previous price increase was April 1st and that was between 2% and 3% depending on the product. At the same time all the other majors had 2 price increases between Jan. and May, EACH of those were between 3% and 5% , so nearly a 10% increase in just 5 months. I'd say that Amsoil has held the line in price increases better than any of the others. Lets try to be honest with facts so as not to mislead folks.

No need to accuse me of being dishonest. Where are you getting YOUR data? I am speaking from personal observations and experience with SS 5w-30. Amsoil DID go from 9.01 to 9.17 a quart in the last month. Amsoil DID have a price increase last spring and also within the year prior, when Al Sr retired then passed away.

I cannot agree with your statement about "other majors", since you can still get ST and M1 and Pennzoil products at walmart, for the same price today as you could get them last year.

Time for a fact check on your part.

I'm looking at buying two stroke HD oil for boat motors

The Interceptor is $9.30 by the single quart, $8.82/qt in case of 12, and $8.55 per quart if buying the 4 gallon case. Those are PC prices; non PC are showing $12.40, $12.26 and $12.03 respectively. Looks like if you are planning to buy more than about 6 quarts it will pay for the membership....might as well get some other products too since it's free shipping if you order over $100. (Don't know if the membership counts towards free shipping)

Hope that helps.

Uh, unless you were looking for the premix?

I never accused you of being dishonest , re read it. I said 'lets be honest with facts'. My facts are correct since I am an Amsoil dealer but I refer folks to Pablo in here since he is a paid sponsor and I respect that. I also did say Amsoil had a price increase last spring in April, again, read my words. The price increases I spoke of are the wholesale prices that local garages and quick lube places pay for their oils from distributors. Retail stores can charge what ever they want, hence the price per quart at your local stores can vary with sales and clearance items. Another fact, A J Amatuzio passed in March of 2017 not 'the year prior (2018)'. I hope the facts are more clear for you now.

I didn't think the price of Amsoil products mattered to the folks that use it....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I didn't think the price of Amsoil products mattered to the folks that use it....

I am a certified cheap charlie and do buy a number of their products. Not the motor oil (because I find readily available products that meet my performance requirements at a better price point), but manual transmission oil, differential gear oil, and Saber 2 stroke oil. When I had a company discount, purchased thru Pablo in case lots, and picked up at the local Amsoil store (no shipping costs) the price was very cost competitive, and the product is top notch.

Originally Posted by Click
I never accused you of being dishonest , re read it. I said 'lets be honest with facts so as not to mislead people

Fixed it for you by quoting the entire sentence.....your post seemed to suggest I was misleading people.

Even though I may not have the dates exactly correct (thanks for that information, I didn't bother to look them up as the dates aren't that important) the fact is that those price increases all DID occur, at least two of them outside of the industry's price increases.

Most of the members here aren't bulk consumers and purchase their oil from wm, so my point there was valid.

Say what you want, but since Al's retirement and death, there have been numerous price increases. And today, ST is still $17.47 for a 5 quart jug - same as a couple years back.

Don't get me wrong here, Amsoil puts out a superior product and I've been using it almost exclusively for over 15 years. But the price has become too much for my taste, especially since I'm currently not driving in excess of 25,000 miles per year and cannot get the full benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back