STL Airport's Abandoned TWA Concourse

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 2.5 mins of the video are alright, but you can skip forward if you just want to see the guy walking through the abandoned Concourse D.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Interesting subject but the guys accent is impossible to listen to.

lol Nice to know I wasn't the only who thought that

Dave

I've been through a few Air Force bases that closed down after BRAC. After a few years the uninhabited buildings decay quickly if the HVAC systems are off. Eerily Interesting..….

Originally Posted by CatCam2
I've been through a few Air Force bases that closed down after BRAC. After a few years the uninhabited buildings decay quickly if the HVAC systems are off. Eerily Interesting..….

The Hilton Austin Airport is a former Strategic Air Command building. I stayed there when I went to a race at COTA and it was really cool, nice use of an older building.

It is interesting how this looks like the average airport in the US today. We really are way behind when it comes to airport design and amenities.

Originally Posted by CatCam2

We've had our share of base closings here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Pretty much every active duty base other than Travis AFB. At least in a place like here where real estate is at a premium they tend to get reused. The Presidio is now part of the National Park Service and most of it has been reused. It's kind of a unique situation with nonprofit Presidio Trust charged with making money off of the buildings that then gets used for park funding. NAS Moffett Field is still an active federal airfield (for NASA Ames mostly) and several companies (including Google) have the right to use it. Google actually has a lease on the old Hangar One that was used by the Navy for blimps. Kind of a waste since the lease was only to store a few corporate jets.

I remember hearing about the old Oakland Army Base having several of its facilities repurposed, including their base gym proposed for a private gym. It's kind of weird how it's gone down in the old NAS Alameda. I've been to one of the old hangars for an event and it felt really old. One hangar was turned into a roller blading facility and gym. And the best known reuse is probably Hangar 1 Vodka, although they're no longer operating out of Hangar 1. It is kind of odd since they haven't done anything with the former runway space. Some of it seems to have fallen apart without any maintenance.

That upper level didn't seem to have a purpose beyond allowing you to look down on the main level. Weird. I love exploring abandoned buildings, not sure why.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It is interesting how this looks like the average airport in the US today. We really are way behind when it comes to airport design and amenities.

I flew out of STL on Southwest just about 3 weeks ago, and returned. My flight was out of Concourse E, which a bit of reading seems to indicate has expanded into parts of the old concourse D(covered in this video) in the last few years.

Things like the red fabric walls and red stripes are long gone, but aside from that it mostly has the same look and feel that I get from a lot of this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back