VW High Performance Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 VW Passat 6 Speed

The VW service guy confirmed that G052527A2 is the correct fluid for my 6 speed manual. It's kinda pricey, around $45/qt, so I thought I'd search for some alternatives. But being a VW fluid, VW appears to not tell much about their gear oils (unless I just can't find the specs).

I'd like to know the weight of this stuff and if it's a GL4 or GL5 if anyone out there has info. It's labeled as a high performance gear oil and from what little I can determine by looking at some compatibles, it may be a GL5.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

$ 45 per quart seems REALLY EXPENSIVE for manual transmission oil. You might want to look around at some other brands. Even boutique stuff like Redline is under $ 20 a quart.

Originally Posted by geeman789
$ 45 per quart seems REALLY EXPENSIVE for manual transmission oil. You might want to look around at some other brands. Even boutique stuff like Redline is under $ 20 a quart.

Yes, that is my goal. Just trying to get an idea of what is a suitable sub. Maybe some folks in Europe may be able to shed some light on this elusive concoction.

That price is absurd. GL5 fluid sucks in a FWD transmission. My wifes Audi A4 quattro is a stick and the genuine fluid was $22 a quart.
I think the fluid number specified for your Passat is a GL4 75W90. Many other VW's use a lighter GL4 fluid in their manual transmissions. GL5 is nothing you want in a FWD manual transmission is it's too slippery for the blocker rings to allow you to shift fast without the occasional gear crunch.

ECS Tuning is really knowledgeable and will know the proper fluid and list/sell substitute fluids. Keep in mind your VW is an American VW, NOT a European Passat which is a different car with a different drivetrain.

Not familiar with that that specific oil but just an observation about viscosity.

If the oil for my Mercedes 6 speed manual is anything to go by then it will be a relatively thin oil. Modern MTL oils seem to be vastly thinner than something like a 75W90. They don't use oil that thick anymore even in the diff which has a 75W85 spec.

My gearbox is specified for a 75W MTL with a viscosity of 7 cSt at 100 Deg C and 36 cSt at 40 Deg C

I just had a stab at looking up a 2015 Passat in the UK Opie oils web site which is well respected. It came back with a 75W MTL. You could enter your exact model but I suspect it will be the same.

oil spec

Have it analyzed as a VOA so we can see both the viscosity and the additive signature, that way we can recommend alternatives.

I just had a stab at looking up a 2015 Passat in the UK Opie oils web site which is well respected. It came back with a 75W MTL. You could enter your exact model but I suspect it will be the same.

But, a 75WXX what? That doesn't tell us anything about the viscosity range.

Last edited:
Try Amsoil.com and their look up guide. It appears that a 2015 6 speed Passat built before a certain date can use one of their Amsoil transmission fluid, or if it's a different 5 speed tranny,, a different screen recommends their transmission fluid for one date of its build but NOT another date of its build. Worth a try, if it fits, retail is just under $20 a quart.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Just 75W - for example Castrol SYNTRANS FE 75W. There is also a Febi 75W and Fuchs 75W

Some other alternatives are labelled 75W80 but they are a little thicker than the Castrol FE 75W

I wouldn't trust what a service guy says 100%. Maybe the parts dept if they actually verify it. Oil bottles should have some info labels on them as to what's inside. Nice to know what's inside what we buy. Chevron Delo xdm 75w-90 exceeds GL 5 GL 4 and MT 1. It meets extended 500,000 mile heavy truck drain intervals. I got some at AZ for under $8/qt.
Or look in the owners or shop manual for more specifics if they have them.

Folks, I am adding-in some graphics, here... with some of them possibly being contentious. Comments, please... I note that some of the snips are from quite a while ago. I have heard good of Redline MTL (or MTF)... 75W-80, but the notion of the segregation-out of the additives has me concerned.

The snip I like the best... is the one from VW that says the choice of an MTL is a balancing act. What feels nicest, may not be the kindest on the rolling element bearings or on the gear-flanks.

For whatever reason I cannot seem to add-on the graphics in my original post... but only when I edit it. So please bear with me...

1 - Shift Feel vs Oil Quality - What VW Says.JPG

Redline 1.JPG

Redline 2.jpg

Redline 3.JPG

Redline 4.JPG

Redline 5.jpg

Redline 6.jpg

Redline 7.jpg

Last edited:
I used Redline Mt-90 in both my 2004 6spd A4 and my 1995 5spd pathfinder. In the cold (25 and below), the car felt like I was shifting through mud. After it warmed up it was much better. For the A4 I ended up going back to OEM fluid and all was right again the world. I didn't expect that from a fluid that was supposed to be good down to -54.

I would check out ECS as mentioned before. Sometimes they have OEM equivalent fluids that are cheaper.

Originally Posted by Wheel366
I used Redline Mt-90 in both my 2004 6spd A4 and my 1995 5spd pathfinder. In the cold (25 and below), the car felt like I was shifting through mud. After it warmed up it was much better. For the A4 I ended up going back to OEM fluid and all was right again the world. I didn't expect that from a fluid that was supposed to be good down to -54.

I would check out ECS as mentioned before. Sometimes they have OEM equivalent fluids that are cheaper.

Best deal I have found is with the Febi 75w GL4 for about $8.25/Liter at FPC Euro.

Originally Posted by pbm
$45 a quart for MTF....another reason not to buy a VW....

You don't have to use VW/Audi gearoil or MTF there are plenty of suitable substitutes.

The only reason the customer was told 45$ was because the $tealer is trying to rip him off. I bet if you tried a number of other stores it would be as cheap as 25$/l

My Experiences with VW and gear oil...

LM GL5 75w90 was fine in my '09 TDI w/ steel synchros.

GL5 75w90 sucked in the 02J in my '03 Jetta. I mean it sucked hard. I replaced it with the new Redline MT-LV, blended 50/50 with Redline Superlight Shockproof. This is a good combination and shifting was much better than the GL-5.

My '03 Golf also has the 02J and it has the factory VW fluid mixed 50/50 with Redline superlight shockproof. The shockproof blend improved some notchy shifting tendencies in a MT with 170K miles. There is a local TDI mechanic who swears by this blend, and it does work well. The MT-LV / Superlight shockproof blend is also good and is relatively low viscosity which the 02J is designed for.

Have it analyzed as a VOA so we can see both the viscosity and the additive signature, that way we can recommend alternatives.

It's basically a repackaged Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE 75W gear oil.

https://www.fuchs.com/us/en/special/product/product/134237-titan-sintofluid-fe-sae-75w/

Believe I did a VOA on this 75W MTF years back.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2031117

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back