How much to replace intake gasket on a GM 3800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my daughters 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3800 Series III will need an intake manifold gasket. Local mechanic gave a price of $609 which includes a new serpentine belt, oil change, new aluminum elbows and coolant.

Does this price sound inline?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Looks like my daughters 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3800 Series III will need an intake manifold gasket. Local mechanic gave a price of $609 which includes a new serpentine belt, oil change, new aluminum elbows and coolant.

Does this price sound inline?

Off the top of my head the number that came to mind was $700 so the quote of $609 passes the sniff test to me.

That's not a bad price
thumbsup2.gif

Wow -engines are so different - it never ceases to amaze me. Some - that is easy and something else is that.

I would get a second opinion.....The Series II 3800 didn't have near the Intake gasket problems that the 3.1L/3.4L V6's & 4.3L/5.0L/5.7L Vortec engine had.....Sure the plastic gasket carrier could come apart in a very similar way, But a lot less frequently!

Intake gasket failures on Series III engines is about unheard of with their metal carrier.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I would get a second opinion.....The Series II 3800 didn't have near the Intake gasket problems that the 3.1L/3.4L V6's & 4.3L/5.0L/5.7L Vortec engine had.....Sure the plastic gasket carrier could come apart in a very similar way, But a lot less frequently!

Intake gasket failures on Series III engines is about unheard of with their metal carrier.

This^^^ As an owner of 3 vehicles that are Series II and a couple mechanically savvy friends with Series III engines, I wholeheartedly agree; and the video posted above by skyactiv shows a Series II engine. GM came out with the Series III beginning in late 2004 and all models by 2005. Anything 2008 has an aluminum intake, without the gasket issues of the Series II. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back